1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB212 Ordered!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I took the plunge. Let's see if this baby is going to live up to the hype. Those that have already gotten the MB210 and the MB115 say that they are "all that". Unfortunately the MB212 will not be avail for 4 - 6 weeks according to Big Bob G @ GK, but I'm willing to wait.

Just in case, I purchased the 3 yr extended warranty for it (for $99). I normally don't do these, but since there have been some issues with the earlier versions of the head that's in the combo, it's worth it for my piece of mind. Also, that 3 yr warranty covers just about everything including if you drop it down a flight of steps, spill a beer in it, etc. Being that I gig every weekend, it's prob worth it.

Again, 500 watts, 2x12" Neos, all in a 39 lbs package and all for under $700!!! Really almost seems too good to be true. Hopefully it isn't. If this combo lives up to the specs and hype, I'll be putting my main rig up for sale (MB TA501 in a rack with Furman and tuner & a Berg AE410). Time will tell....

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...x12-500W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=581054

[​IMG]

2. Quadzilla

Update - MusiciansFriend.com just changed the availability status from 2 - 4 weeks to 11/11/09 . It's going to be a long month! ;)

3. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i'm about to talk myself into pulling the same trigger. i figure that, on top of my schroeder 1212L (8ohms) will make a killer 4x12 rig, capable of anything i need it for, and come in well under 100 pounds.

*ponder*

4. Quadzilla

I don't think that you can run an extension cab with the MB212, although you CAN run one with the MB210.

Fred

5. That is a really nice looking box! I really like the '4ohm 212' sort of thing. My TecAmp rig (small, ultralightweight 4ohm 212 with a '500 watt into 4ohm' Puma500) is a dream to schlepp, and puts out volume equal to a 'super210' (similar, for example, to the Epifani310UL).

This format is a GREAT option for those who don't want to go all the way up to the size of a 410, but who find a single 210 not quite up to the task.

Nice combo!!!!

6. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    MF.com and RMC audio both list it as 350 watts, 500 with extension.

???

7. Quadzilla

In one of the other threads (that I'll try toi dig up), another TBer asked GK about the specs. As I recall, the MB210 has an 8 ohm internal config and the 212 has a 4 ohm config. Again, I'll try to dig up the info. I personally prefer to get the full 500 watts into the 2x12 combo.

8. I just saw that also. I would not think a company would put a 4ohm cab as part of a combo if the head had an external speaker jack. That is the definition of trouble!

That is why I went with 'separates' on the TecAmp 212, since the combo was only available in 8ohm version. The difference isn't 'night and day', but you will get a bit more volume and a deeper, wider, less compressed low end. Since I never, ever use two cabs, that little bit of extra oomph was worth going with separates.

However, spec's on retail websites are typically not up to date, so who knows.

I also notice the stand-alone GK Neo 212 is spec'd at 51 pounds. So, the 212 in the combo much be a different cab than the stand-alone 212. Interesting (or else the 39 pound weight spec posted above is incorrect).

9. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    damn. :(

so. order the MB-210 and use the schro. with it or order the MB-212 and replace the speakers with some kappalite 12's to run it at 8 ohms and allow for an external cab.

choices, choices.

10. Quadzilla

The MB210 & MB212 share the same "head" while the MB115 uses a different (lower power) head. And the MB210 runs @ 350 watts w/o and extension and 500 watts with an extension while the MB212 runs @ 500 watts into the 2x12's it has in the combo. If the MB212 has a speaker out, it probably disables the internal output to the 2x12 combo speakers.

11. It looks like the head is a bit modified, according to that thread.... for example, it was posted that the contour is now a button (like the old 400's) versus a variable control, etc. The cab must really be modified from the stand-alone Neo212, to hit that weight spec.

It looks very cool though! Post up when you get it. That is a lot of 'bang for the buck' if it delivers.

GK needs to QUICKLY get the correct specs to their retailers though.

12. Quadzilla

Screen shots that I just took from the manual:

ScreenHunter_01Oct130953.

ScreenHunter_02Oct130954.

13. Excellent. So they don't even have an external speaker out on the 212. That's a good thing. That should be killer.

14. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    If anyone is looking for a pdf manual for all three combos, as I posted in the other MB threads, send me a PM with your email.

Music123 had them for 15% off when I ordered. It's not listed like that anymore, but it may be worth watching for it once in a while.

15. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    pondering.

would i be better served with the 2x12 combo alone, or the 210 combo on top of a schroeder 1212L?

really leaning toward the 210, but i also hate carrying any more gear than necessary...

16. Quadzilla

I ordered mine from MusiciansFriend.com and used the 20% off coupon listed in the "Hot Deals" forum here on TB. So I got the combo, a 3 year extended warranty (even protects against me dropping it, spilling beer), a new instrument cable and a couple of other odds and ends ALL for under $700!!!! :hyper:

17. mlwarriner

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    just ordered the 210 combo, 530 shipped with coupon code from the hot deals.

i went for scale-ability. this way, i can take along my schroeder 1212L for a "full stack" or just the combo if i don't need the extra volume.

:cool:

18. Quadzilla

Nice!!! And from what I have read, that little MB210 is loud as hell even without an extension!