1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Neo 412 vs Epifani UL610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, May 4, 2010.

1. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have to decide btw these two. I will be using either a UL502 or the GK Fusion 550 which i just ordered. Anyone have any thought, ever compared these two?

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Both the Epi head and Epi cab are wide and smooth, go quite deep.

The GK head and GK cab are more mid oriented, can really punch and growl.

Without telling us what you are after, it's difficult to give you any recommendation.

3. Ahhh no troubles with monsterous lows out of my Fusion 550 and NEO 412. I have to dial back the bass in just about everywhere I play!

Sorry no experience with thed Epif.

4. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My tone is thick but not too deep and sweet. Not too aggressive. My band is a Rock/funk/blues mix. Were also only. Rpiece so my tone can't be way too overpowering. I was leaning towards the 412 but now I'm thinking the /' setup might be a little too deep and overpowering than the epifani setup. I've had the ul502 and UL410 and it worked great but I needed something a little bigger and got gas and started drooling over the gk rig.

5. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I meant a 3 piece. Sorry I'm mobile

6. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I personally think the 12s will give you more versatility. I have a GK Neo 212/112 stack.

7. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool can you explain a little more? Those of you who use the 412 can you explain the tone? It seems to me that the GK stuff is a lot more growly and aggressive?

8. Well the NEO 412 from G-K satisfies the long time 215 user in me. Can be smoother and more natural sounding than my old 215. The mids are more present and punchy if I want. If I want a grindy growl I boost the gain of the Fusion, cut some bass, boost the low-mids a little, Cut back a little on the high-mids, cut the highs almost completely, turn the horn off, trim the master way down. Our female keyboardist melts, I get a killer back and leg massage and every note is heard out front (and that's on "Enter Sandman"). :)

R&B or Blues should have had a low B string decades ago!

9. Love my GK 412. Loud and Light (for the size). I run it through a GK 2001RBP preamp and a Carvin DCM1500 Power amp. Great set up, I'm sure yours would be killer. No Epi expirience though, sorry

10. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like that the 412 is super deep and beefy? Im thinking that it might overpower my band, were a 3 piece power trio

11. The G-K is loud, no doubt about that. Small places we play it's a bit rough to throttle back. Larger and outside gigs, no strain! We are 4-5 piece (lead singer doesn't count ;) ).
    Maybe the 212 would be better for you? If the 412 is to loud, you don't want a 610 either

12. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a UL410, and its not cutting it volume wise, so i have to go up

13. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didnt mean too loud as much as i meant to present, with only 3 of us im just thinking the 412 might be too thick for our style, not so much too loud, if you get what I mean?

14. Thick is up to how you set your amp. I adjust on the fly for a lot of different styles with no trouble.

15. Hey Jon, what do you mean by "it's a bit rough to throttle back?"

Oh, and my two cents for ya: I recently bought one of these neo 412s and haven't looked back. For me, the biggest difference between this and my old 410 cab that I used is that the mids are WAY more present, but in a very pleasing way (maybe it's just because the speakers are more at ear height?). This cab just seems to handle everything in a much more composed manner. I can honestly hear every single note and nuance I play now. The thing is unbelievably loud and efficient, really pumps the sound out to the audience and doesn't loose much to cabinet resonance...350 watts @ 4 ohms for me and I'm taking out china trinkets two floors up.

16. What I mean is, I'm running the Fusion under 9:00 and for some places cutting back the gain as well. Still sounds great, but damn the amp is barely on! :)

17. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i say suggest maybe just adding a 210 for versatility purposes. if your going to a small to medium gig, the 410 should be enougth. a little bigger, add the 210 and you got a 610 :). the additional 210 should give you more than enougth power!

18. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I need a one cab setup. I already have a rig for smaller gigs. We mainly play larger clubs, not many small bars. I want the 412, I already ordered the Fusion 500. SO you guys think the 412 cuts good also? My goal is to be able to get a pretty modern tone, similiar to the Epifani tone, but with somethin thats a little beefier and can get the classic amp vibe also. Sorry im being so picky, i just cant try these out anywhere. Thank you guys for all your help btw. Id be poor if it wasnt for this site, and bored lol

19. I can tell you the G-K NEO412 will have you covered in spades, I just can't speak for the Epifini as I have never played one. The NEO412 cuts through VERY well (I have every bass player in town coming out to hear us now and they hear every note I play). Scary thought.....naw I can blame RA and old age ;) :bassist:

20. bassistloaded21

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool. I think ive settled on the 412. Ive listened to some of the 212 soundclips, namely norm stocktons youtube video. I would imagine that the tone would be somewhat similar (hes using a 1001rb) but much warmer im guessing? We will see I guess.