1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass for MeeeTTTTTaaaaaL!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireArm, Sep 10, 2008.

1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Im looking for something with a real growl, I was thinking a Marcus Miller Jazz bass or a Fernandes Tremor deluxe.

So looking for something with alot of growl... but something thats not too muddy.

Ideas?

Cheers

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Instruments aren't made to be genre specific. Any bass works in any style.

But to answer your question, I say a EBMM Stingray. I use an SR4 for playing metal and it works great. :)

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Any bass that's comfortable for you and you enjoy playing. Paired up with whatever amp, and effects, then buried in a mix behind guitars, drums and rrRRrraarrrrrrr vocals.

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm assuming you don't listen to much metal.

5. krall

krall Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Shediac, NB Canada
    The best I've ever used for metal is my old '76 Canadian Made J.K Lado with Barts..Growl central with this bass:

IMG_0090_1.

IMG_0092_1.

IMG_0089_1.

Good luck finding one though..

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Just make sure you had a CooooRRRRRRRRRRddddd and AaaaaMMMMMMMMppppppppp to go with it.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky Basses. :bassist:

8. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Ive managed to rip it sick for years now with my MIA Jazz :bassist:

9. Ed x TWWK

Ed x TWWK

Sep 8, 2008
    I agree 100%, I play metal, and I use only SR's

www.myspace.com/theworldweknew

10. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    +1 to EBMM Stingrays

11. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    IMO, there are much growlier basses out there than a stingray...

stingrays are great, and have a very aggressive tone, but i wouldn't call it a growl, if you want growl go for a jazz bass or a warwick.

that's my opinion anyway, although many seem to disagree.

12. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    At the Prog. Nation tour, the bass player of Dream Theater was using a Bongo and it sounded awesome. Martin Mendez of Opeth plays a sweet Fender Jazz and I've always loved his tone. It's Super fat and rich. More importantly, what bass feels the best to you? That's the one you'll want. :)

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think you should focus more on getting a bass that has the tone you desire. There are many different brands of basses that are used for metal and many good tones, but they are still different.

The best bass for metal that I've played was a 4-string Spector Euro (NS4CRFM) with active EMG P/J pickups and the 2-band EMG preamp. That bass had more growl and punch than any Warwick or Musicman I've ever heard. I don't know if the newer Euro models are quite so aggressive nowadays, but they are worth looking at. I will give an honorable mention to the EBMM Sterling as well, I see a lot of younger metal bands using those because they always stand out in a mix. Don't overlook a good, old Fender P-bass either. Worked great for Sabbath and Maiden, and you can't get much more metal than that. In other words, try out a bunch of basses and see what YOU like.

14. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    Check out Spector and G&L.

15. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    G&L L2500

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Any bass.

17. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i played a Squier.

however, were i to do it again, i'd totally rock at Lakland Hollowbody with Darkstars!!:bassist:

*kidding*

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A P-Bass, or a Jazz, or a Stingray, are the most popular, I'd use a Traben myself.

Any bass with a humbucker in the mid to bridge area would be my next choice.

19. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    Alembic.

Choice of Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted.

20. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    +1