1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good bass with passive humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Led Hendrix, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Led Hendrix

Led Hendrix

Feb 17, 2008
    From all the positive reviews of sting rays, bongos, and/or active basses with humbuckers, it has disappointed me that there are not more quality passive basses with humbuckers, for people like me who prefer passive basses. So I wanna know whats the best bang for your buck passive bass /w humbuckers? One bass I have heard of turning out really well is the gibson/epiphone thunderbird. What are your thoughts on that?

I mostly play classic rock (the doors, the who, the kinks, pink floyd) and I have experimented with various vintage instruments with a humbucker(s) and have really enjoyed the sound. Currently, I am recording with a band that coincidentally plays classic rock and I'm also wondering if humbucking pickups will sound good with the feel of classic rock.

Short version:
    What are some quality-made passive basses with humbuckers?
    Do basses with humbuckers have a good sound for classic rock?

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    G&L L-1000
    Musicman SUB

3. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    If you can snag one I would suggest getting a Peavey T40 or a Peavey Dyna-Bass...the Dyna-Bass has a passive active switch making it one of the most versitile instruments in my collection.

But if you can't find a good one used, or don't exactly like that tone, I would definately suggest a EBMM Sub. But if you can spend the cash grab youself a nice G&L 2500, also active/passive electronics.

4. notenslaved

notenslaved I survived the 80's only to see it return.

Feb 13, 2008
    Connecticut, USA
    I use a Les Paul standard that has passive humbuckers and I dig the sound a lot. I play various styles and because my amp is versatile I can dial in anything I need. While some might disagree, I feel the bass is only a link in the chain and if you pair it with a versatile amp you can get exactly what you're looking for without spending a ton or limiting yourself to a certain configuration.

5. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    The Thunderbird is so great. I have the Epiphone and I can get amazing tones for almost any genre you can throw at it. It is quite large and heavy, the bridge is kinda weak, and there's neck dive. But you get used to the size and weight, you can install a Hipshot Supertone bridge (which I'll do someday), and a wide suede strap kills the neck dive pretty well.

6. Led Hendrix

Led Hendrix

Feb 17, 2008
    Was the EBMM Sub discontinued? If so, where can I find a decent one, used or new?

7. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    Yes it was discontinued. You can sometimes find nice used ones at guitar center, but the best place to look for them is on Ebay.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Just about any active bass can be made passive by gutting the electronics or possibly installing a passive/active switch. I generally hate active basses, and have gutted the electronics out of both my Strangebergers and my Dingwall Super J (admittedly, both utilize pickups that don't typify the humbucker sound). I plan on getting a fretless Bongo in the near future, and will be gutting the electronics out of that one, too.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Technically any P pup is a humbucker so I would have to put the ol' Fender P on that list.

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Fender Roscoe Beck IV & V. My best playing Fender, hands down.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    here's the perfect bass for you my friend. they're not in production anymore, but you can usually find them on ebay for around $400 with a case. I'm dropping a darkstar in mine next month. i can't wait:)
    IMG_0599.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The classic dual coil P bass.

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Passive humbuckers is screaming G&L L-2000. Just don't turn on the rather dated pre. You get bass cut and treble cut in passive mode along with series / parallel. The Fender Roscoe Beck would be another great option.