1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Death metal Bass?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Allanpullay, May 11, 2010.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I say learn to play with a pick as well. It's worth the trouble IMO.

As far as your question: I advise Ibanez Soundgears. Really smooth, agile players.

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA

Orion of Behemoth usually plays an ESP F-series or Tom Araya
    Alex Wester of Cannibal Corpse plays Modulus

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The brands that will come up the most will be ESP, BC Rich and Ibanez. It looks like there are a lot of Schecter fans out there and there are a hand full of guys rocking Warwicks.
    Because of the speed of death metal comfort is very important. What you need is an instrument that feels right depending if you are playing with a pick or fingers, and has a neck that works for you. Then you need to match the tone you want with the instrument; meaning some basses will come out in the mix more, others will be muddier, etc.
    Also, get your tuning figured out right away. Some instruments just don't sound good tuned down or take too much modification to make work.
    My ESP Tom Araya is the stuff when I'm banging out some Napalm Death, Carcass, or Behemoth. Sounds awesome clean, pick, finger, fuzz, OD, you name it.

4. Spector
    Tobias
    Warwick

5. Not trying to troll, but IIRC, the brand that's been brought up most in this thread is Spector.

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
  7. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    According to the Centuries of Torment DVD they put out, he only uses the Modulus live and I think a Spector on the last few albums. He's got a Spector endorsement now and when I saw CC last fall he was playing his Modulus.

Yeah, that's some awful sentence structure. :crying:

8. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Porcupine Tree isn't even death metal, why bother mentioning them?

Back on topic...

Get yourself a nice MIM Jazz Bass and mod it up. IIRC, the guy from Opeth uses nothing but J's and his tone cuts through well.

9. Wasted Bassist

Wasted Bassist

Nov 11, 2008
    Fargo, ND
    Spector hasn't failed me for any genre I throw it in. Sounds great for jazz, sounds even better played aggressively through a big amp in a metal band.

10. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Kip Winger played a Spector. So did Sting. And Gene Simmons. They are all pretty death metal dudes. Wait, you said "good death metal". I forgot. There isn't any.

11. Well, aren't you just a pretty shade of condesending.

12. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez Soundgear basses..All the way

13. ??

14. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    ESP definitely seem liked. But hey, look at Opeth. A Fender Jazz. You can use any bass. Just try out a few at a local music shop or something and see what feels, sounds and looks good.

15. My buddy played a Spector in a downtuned metal band for a loong time (tunes his 4 string to C). He switched to a new Geddy Jazz... holy crap it sounds great! When he hits that C, it is like getting kicked in the junk.
    Spector or fender jazz would be my vote. They both sounded great, the jazz just a bit better.

16. What a useless post.

17. Honestly, if I were playing death metal I'd probably opt for a G&L L-2000. Passive or active, series or parallel, pup selector... It pretty much has everything you'd ever need as far as tone is concerned, plays well, and doesn't skimp on the electronics.

GLTS_L2000_BLK_MP.

Plus maple necks on black basses are teh secks.