1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great cover or devolution into elevator music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bearhart74, Jul 9, 2019.

1. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009

Some things in this cover are kind of interesting and its executed well but I miss Bonzo and the fire of the original seems diluted.

What you guys think?

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    As I take the elevator to my dentist's office on the 25th floor, I try comparing the pain associated with the root canal I'm about to receive, with what I'm currently listening to...

... I quickly press '3', choosing the stairs, instead.

Good thing I brought my emergency parachute, as well.

Wisebass, JRA, TinIndian and 6 others like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Talented bunch of folks, but I would thank them to keep their hands off of my Zepplin LP collection.

4. bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    This kind of goes along with my though that "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    How to write the jazz version of a popular song- Write, and play on an electric piano, a 50 bar intro that has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the song. Pause. Nod a count-in that makes you look like you assume none of your band mates can count to four.
    After that, it was actually pretty good.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am reminded of my high school band director. We would all, with some justification, dump on Muzak. But he pointed out that elevator music kept a lot of musicians gainfully employed so they could work on other things that didn't pay.

I have no problem with radically reinterpreting a song. Postmodern Jukebox does it all the time and it's amazing. The problem with this, in my opinion, is that it's actually TOO much like Zeppelin. They make a gesture toward rocking out the chorus, but then stuff it with a couple of easy-listening chords at the end. If they had gone for a full-on sophisticated Lake Street Dive-style take on the song it could have been very cool.

Here's an example of a totally changed cover, mellowing out a rock song, that I think really works: Joss Stone making a funk tune out of the White Stripes.

(original song for those who don't know it):

7. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Great songs can withstand almost any number of different arrangements. I actually think this is a pretty good version. Is it as good as the original? Not in my opinion, but it holds up well on its own merits.

8. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Sounds in some ways like a lush arrangement of a Zepparella cover. The only issue I have with it is that it meanders so far between folk-jazz and rock, but never seems to land very firmly on either foot. The end result for me is an arrangement that doesn't seem quite sure what it wants to be, besides clever. I can certainly appreciate cleverness, but it's not always easy to groove/rock to it.

They're clearly a very skilled group though, and I don't begrudge anyone their interpretation, so to each his/her own.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Close, but it's mostly a miss for me due to lack of focus. I'd prefer a greater amount of deconstruction, personally. Several years ago I had a club gig mixing these folks, who have a way of springing some real mashup surprises:

Edit: as with all YouTube vids (IMO), best listened to and not watched. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  10. bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    if cleaverness was the reason for popularity then Zappa would have outsold the Beatles and MJ combined. Just because its hard to play don't make it great either.

retslock, OogieWaWa, 40Hz and 2 others like this.
  11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Exactly.

12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    So much of the original song content and instrumental melodies are Killer, like the chorus, but when they add chords to the chorus to groove transition, it's Just Horrible. The 1st guitar solo was inappropriate, maybe ok for 'mersh c&w. Violin solo was better... oh after the 4th guitar solo the guy is warming up, he's fast. wow. couldn't finish sorry. immature approach in this age of surface excitement. She is quite a professional though! Lordy!

13. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    I keep thinking comments from the Great British Bake-off. It's bland, no one flavor stands out, all the flavors just run together. I'm not getting the rock in it. You're sure there's rock and roll in it? I'm not getting the rock and roll. What we're looking for is a good "snap"; I'm not getting a "snap."

Oh and look, there's a soggy bottom.

My favorite part is that they did the whole video to make it look like it's an "all at once live" recording but clearly they're all just playing along. No, wait, my favorite part was cutting to the acoustic guitar on the electric fill. No wait, definitely my favorite part was stopping the playback.

Fatuous covers like this are dangerous. Sometimes it comes across as an ego trip, because it looks like you think you've improved on the original, when your version is really a mediocre, uninspired performance that adds nothing that wasn't already in the original, and lacks all of the things that made the original memorable.

The only reason to do a version like this is because a movie wants to use the song in their soundtrack and can't afford the original, a movie with fat stacks of cash that belong in your bank account.

14. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I don’t like people futzin’ with my Zeppelin.

That said, it wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated.

Agreed that the group is talented, but doesn’t seem to know what style to settle on. They sort of “Ramble On” in that way themselves. Hmm, Could that have been intentional?

ELG60 likes this.
  15. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    but, but ….that's not a Fender!!!!!!!!!!

Bonham is rolling in his grave with that cajon playing

16. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I really gave it a chance but nah

DrayMiles and Copperhead like this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The antithesis of rock IMO.

Yet another “tasteful reinterpretation” of a rock song by of a group of highly skilled and educated musicians who are slumming in a genre they either don’t “get” or maybe just don't have any real respect for.

DrayMiles, Moose22, OogieWaWa and 2 others like this.
  18. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Intro=:vomit:
    Rest of the song=:yawn:
    My opinion for what it's worth.

EatS1stBassist and tekhedd like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Here’s the cover i think you are looking for.

Bass Viking, Kelly robinson and J Mon like this.
  20. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    download (3).