1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar Center just slapped me in the face!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by progrmr, Mar 17, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    OMG...

So I am up there looking at 2 basses - a $659 Fender Jazz and a $279 Vintage Modified Jazz. I tell the guy - "look, I've got a 2002 MIM P-Bass, mint condition. I'm interested in trading in on one of these 2 basses..". Guy says "Bring it in" -

Now I've traded in guitars a GC before, a takamine acoustic got me $400! So I drive to my house (all this after working all day) and back with my bass. Takes me about an hour.

I get back, check the bass at the door with the guy and he says "let me go see what I can do on this, go ahead an pick which bass you want". So I go and play - I'm loving the Squire, but I really want the Fender Jazz. I'm playing and the guy comes over and guess what he says..

go ahead...guess...

"I can do $125 on your bass." - My mouth about fell to the ground...did he really just try to get my to trade my P-Bass for $125?? I immediately put the jazz back on the wall - guy must've figured I couldn't believe that low-ball because he says " but you can save 15% on this one...".

I said "no way - I can get $300 for this bass on CL, $250 at a minimum. I'll be sure to come back after I sell it."

I don't think I can shop there anymore...I mean, wow - that was a total slap in face IMO. Couldn't believe it.

2. slinkytrf

slinkytrf

Feb 18, 2009
    CT
    yeah guitar center makes me mad too. I live in Connecticut and all the people that work there think there better than everyone else and think there god at playing. I no what you mean though i bought an ampeg 6x10 bass amp and it between 600-800 at the time i go to sell it and the guy says o i cam give you 200 dollars. I said are you kidding me walked right out. They do it to everyone man not just you so dont worry.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    They need to make profit, you know... $125 is a little over what you'd get at a pawn shop. Ever brought your car to CarMax?

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    :: sigh ::

Search for some other recent threads on Guitar Center and other retailers and why it's not FINANCIALLY VIABLE for them to give top dollar or anywhere close for trades.

Essentially, they're a business in the business of making money. You're trade-in is a liability to them rather then an asset. They're not guaranteed to sell it, so they have to give bottom dollar in order to turn a profit.

5. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dude...$125 for a mint 2002 MIM P-bass? I don't know what you're smokin' but that freakin' rip-off!

Not to mention that if he gave me $300 I was going to buy the Jazz for $659! Instead they got a po'd person that might not be a customer anymore.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Believe it. SOP. Sell your used gear on TB, CL, E-bay, bassgear.com, yard sales, flea markets, out of your trunk in a supermarket parking lot....anywhere but Guitar Center.

So spaketh the Riisman.

Riis

7. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    Definitely, I mean they are a business after all. $125 really isn't terribly unreasonable as far as trade-in value goes.

8. If they gave top $$ for used gear, you wouldn't be able to shop there next year.

9. They are not going to buy it from you for what it is worth. If YOU can get $250-$300 for it...that's all THEY'RE going to get for it. There is no incentive to give you that amount as they would be losing money every time an employee touched it.

Mike

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's totally normal for any business taking a trade-in. It's not even about GC, and it's certainly not a slap in your face. That's just how trade-ins work in the real world. You want a better price? Sell independently. Going in to a store with a trade-in and then crying on the internet about how little money they offered you is frankly a slap in the face of normal mature business.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Exactly. What were you really expecting? That you got $400 for an acoustic means nothing unless we know the MSRP of that piece - and it could be you got lucky with a slow sales manager on duty.

Trading *anything* into a retailer is always a bad idea for you. Sell you bass here, the CL or the 'Bay and you'll get mo money - then you can buy a better bass somewhere OTHER than GC, which sucks no matter what.

12. sowder

sowder Guest

Mar 1, 2008
    Guitar Center is hurtin as bad as everyone else in this economy. I'm not saying $125 is fair or not, but you can't sell your bass ANYWHERE for near what you could 6 months ago. It just sucks as a seller in this market.

13. If he gave you $300, he'd make the profit on the Jazz and then NO profit on the MIM. No point from a business standpoint as the next guy will walk in and buy the jazz for $659 and not saddle them with a bass they have to sell but won't make money on.

Mike

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Market price for your bass in the most serious economic crisis of the past 50 years = $250.00 (maybe)

ANY pawn shop (and GC acts as a pawn shop on trades) pays 1/3 of the market value for anything. That'd be 84 bucks...

Sorry if that makes you mad, but these are the facts...

And no, I don't smoke, thanks...

15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It's not a rip off. They gave you an offer that was in their best interest, you wanted something in your best interest and a deal wasn't made. If you know you can get more for it elsewhere, then sell it elsewhere. It's nothing personal, don't take it as such. It's business.

16. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A few years back GC offered me $275 trade in value on a '77 Ric 4001.
    THAT is a slap in the face.

17. They'll tell you that they go look up used prices on Ebay and will give you half of that. I wouldn't be surprised at that offer they gave you at all.

18. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Tell me about it...
    They offered me 1500 bucks for a Fodera Emperor... :p

19. slinkytrf

slinkytrf

Feb 18, 2009
    CT
    all these people not agreeing with you are probably the ones that i said work at guitar center and think there god! ha

20. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Expecting top dollar or close on anything, be it a bass, a car or anything else is naive at best.