1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Halloween gig horror story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rocks, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    My band played a Halloween gig at a local club and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. After negotiating with the club owner for a couple months he agreed to our terms (we are a 5 piece band with a sound/lightman) We got to the gig and found out that he also hired a DJ. We were told he does this at all his clubs so he has music playing when the band is on break. We setup, did sound check and were told by the club owner that the DJ would tell us when we were to start. We were originally told we were going on at 9:30 when we booked the gig. Well 9:30 rolls around and we ask the DJ if we can start, our crowd is there and waiting. He says he is waiting for the club owner to give him the word for us to start. an hour rolls by and we are still not playing and the DJ is playing disco type music, we are a rock band and our crowd is all about rock, not disco. our crowd started leaving after waiting for over 2 hours for us to start playing. Finally we get the word that we are to go on and do a short firs set. We play about half our first set, the crowd is dancing and having a great time and everything is going well. The DJ comes up to us and tells us its time for us to take a break, we only played for about 30 minutes. he went back to playing disco and the crowd emptied out of the bar. Finally after almost another hour we are told to play our next set. We do and well over half the crowd has already left to go somewhere that wasn't playing disco. We play most of our second set and again our told to take a break before we even finished the set. So again we are pacing around like caged animals waiting to take the stage.

At one point I was walking across the stage after putting my ice water on my amp (I don't drink at gigs) as I was walking back outside I tripped over a cable that wasn't taped down properly and took a bad fall. I went outside embarrassed from falling head first onto the base of a mic stand. The owner came out to check on me and ask if I needed any help and I told him I was ok, just embarrassed and wanting some cool air to clear my head. he knew I was only drinking ice water and was completely sober so it wasn't an issue. as I'm sitting outside clearing my head the lead guitarist comes to the window and motions to me that we are wrapping it up, no more playing. I just looked at him like you've got to be kidding me, I wanted to play more. So I finished my smoke and went in to start packing up. I started unplugging my cables and packing them into my bag. I unplugged from the snake and everything was getting torn down quickly. next thing I know I hear someone saying something about the snake being smashed, it was fine when I unplugged from it 10 minutes earlier. Next thing I know I am getting blamed for the snake damage because they heard I fell on the stage. I was no where near the end of the snake when I fell (it was right in front of the kick drum) I would have had to fall on the kick drums mic stand to even get to the snake and I was way over by the one FOH speaker, no where near the snakes end. No one was saying anything to my face or even asking me if I fell on it but they were all talking among themselves and when I got near they got quiet. I felt terrible but know I didn't do the damage and just kept packing up and loading gear.

The next day I called the lead guitarist 3 times leaving him voice mail messages to call me, he never called until this morning while I was still sleeping and just left a message that he was at work and to call him later. If I did the damage to the snake I would have no problem paying for it to be fixed/replaced. But I honestly don't believe I did it. the whole top of the snakes end was smashed in where you plug in the cables, is it possible that the cord I tripped on could have done this much damage? I didn't see any damage when I unplugged and when I saw it later the damage was very noticeable, like I said, the whole top was smashed in something very easy to see. TO make matters worse, the club owner shorted us severely saying we didn't pull a big enough crowd when in fact we had well over 50 of our friends there and that didn't include all the bars regulars. The place was pretty much packed but the disco drove off the crowd, not us. So instead of getting our $100/man we got $40 a man and we paid more than that for the costumes we bought to play the gig.

Now I have this sinking feeling that the fun band I was in is now mad at me and I may be getting replaced. I can't believe that adults (we are all in our 40's) don't have the decency to even talk to me about this. I mean really, man up and talk to me if you think I did something and lets get the issue resolved. Now I'm sitting here in limbo wondering if I am still in the band or if I even want to be in the band any more. It's like all the fun just got sucked right out of the band in seconds. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, I don't know what is going to happen and just needed to vent this out.

2. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    Sorry. Sounds like you had a rough one. Hopefully, everything will even out and you'll get back to it.
    It kind of seems like everyone was just in a bad mood from the night; maybe they'll feel better later.

3. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    They say it was a $400 snake, I think its 20 channels and 50', are they made this cheaply that tripping on a cable could smash the top? I didn't take a close enough look to see if the top was plastic or metal but when I saw it after the damage it looked like someone stomped on it. I do know the DJ was a little upset with us because he wanted to sing a song with the band and it never happened because before that song came up he told us to take a break. So I'm wondering if the DJ may have done it to get even for not getting him on stage.

4. DarkArwen

DarkArwen

Oct 29, 2009
    For the life of me, I can't understand why they would want the DJ to play more than the band. I never heard of anyone going to a bar to hear a DJ, but that's just me.
    Hopefully every one cools down and then you are all able to talk about it.

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    "So instead of getting our $100/man we got $40 a man and we paid more than that for the costumes we bought to play the gig."

Curious. Did the club owner/manager promise you $100/man or did he say it depended on the crowd? Did the bandleader ever point out to the owner/manager that the disco was driving away your crowd?

Doesn't sound like a club I'd want to play again.

6. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I would have explicitly told the club owner that most of the crowd was there to watch you play rock, not listen to this DJ that's playing crappy disco that nobody wants to listen to. Who dictates 30 minute sets? That's worthless. I wouldn't be playing there again if I were you. Pass the bad experience on to other local musicians...the bar will eventually be left scratching their heads as to why nobody who's any good wants to play there.

Happened in my town with a jazz bar that opened up, and the owner started bouncing a few checks to the musicians. Then she would ask the same guys to play another one, even though they still hadn't got paid for the last time. The word spread like wildfire and before we knew it the owner was out of business (the place was set up to fail based on their bad location, but still..)

7. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    The club owner tried to book us for $300 and we said no because we are 5 piece and we bring a good crowd. He agreed to our terms of $500 for the night so we booked the gig. There was never any mention of getting paid depending on how many people were there. And yes, we did point out that the disco drove off the crowd but he said his crowd loves disco, which was very wrong as every time the DJ started the club would empty out. We had two choices, take the money offered or start a fight and we didn't want to get a bad rep as a band that started fights with club owners. Aside from the fact that of course police would be called and they would have probably arrested the band, not the club owner. I'm just sick to my stomach over this, I want to play and I have a bad feeling that I'll be looking for another band.

8. Club owners who can't make up their friggin' mind what they want to do and try to please everyone by hiring a band AND a DJ are nothing but trouble. Especially when they don't have the horse sense to coordinate things properly. What a shame.

As for the snake, let the chips fall where they will. No sense sweating it. If they use this as an excuse to dismiss you, the bond must not have been that strong to begin with, so you're probably better off. If I flat out dropped a power amp and shattered it, my band wouldn't treat me this way. You deserve better. It's only a piece of gear, which can be fixed or replaced, but if the band is no more considerate of each other's feelings, I say move on.

9. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    ^This

10. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I know what you mean. Sometimes when club owners break their word regarding what they've promised to pay, you just have to put up with, move on, and figure lesson learned - don't play the place again.

You can, however, spread the word about your crappy treatment at the hands of that owner. In the age of social networking, word about a bad club owner can spread VERY quickly.

11. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I just talked to another local musician that knows the DJ. He said that the DJ is trying to drive bands out of clubs so he can DJ more often. He also told me that this same DJ has been sabotaging bands to make them look bad for some time now. And no, I'll never play there again, I'll never even walk in the door and I'm warning other musicians I know about the place.

12. Sorry to hear about the bad gig, it happens, move on. Don't play here again and don't get into the habit of accepting less than the agreed upon price.

That said, it seems your issues have nothing to do with all those details. it has to do with you beoing the only guy to trip on stage and you tripped over a cord directly attached to the item that got damaged.

You said the box was in front of the bass drum and not near you. Is it possiable that is why you didn't notice it get broken? It doesn't make sense to say you were not near it if in fact you tripped over a cord you KNOW FULL WELL was plugged into it. All the talk of how you would have had to fall on the BD mike stand is pure rubbish trying to deflect from the fact that you did trip on a cord plugged into it and therefore only needed to be as close as the cord you tripped over to damage it...... That FOH speaker you were next to, it WAS plugged into the snake? Right?

You went head first into a mike stand, while this happened, is it maybe possiable that you missed the crash at the end of the snake?

$400.00 is a bit but you don't need new, you need repair. Go find out the cost to repair it, (by yourself) and then offer to get it fixed before the next gig. Sure, you could debate the issue and tell them to Prove you broke it and get out of paying for it, but if doing that ruins the band you say is fun for you, then it's only money and not worth making yourself miserable over.

I'm not saying it was your fault, just that, even with the story the way YOU told it, it looks like you could be at fault. There is no better time to prove you are a stand up guy than a time like this. Get the quote, fix the snake, and go have some more gigs go wrong... They suck now but in 5 years over a few beers your gonna bust a gut over it all.

-eSmith.

13. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    You missed the part where I said that when I unplugged from the snake it wasn't broken, I unplugged from the snake at least 20 minutes after my fall and saw no damage when I unplugged. I really feel bad about this and like I said I have no problem paying for it to be fixed since I am the only one to have fallen. But I'll also add that had the cables been taped down like they should have been I would have never tripped in the first place. Someone forgot to bring enough duct tape and many cables were not taped down very well if at all.

14. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Speaking of manning up....Call a meeting and get all of this out in the open. Don't wait for them to step up. Do it yourself.

15. If he said he would pay you $500 and then gave you $200, I would tell him that you guys are even with the snake.

16. OK, if it WAS NOT damaged when you unplugged, then you didn't do it. From the way you were asking for validation on the incident, wondering if the DJ might have done it... and you did claim the tear down was happening pretty fast so I got the impression you were not even sure yourself if you broke it or not.

I also got the impression the Band owned the snake not the barowner.... If the Bar owner owned it, I'm with Floridabwoy....

But. if you really are ok with replacing it, just do it, and like snyderz said, call them together and do it right away, don't wait for them, if you do wait anything you do will look like a reaction and not an honest effort.

-eSmith.

17. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    The band does own the snake. And I have been calling them to try and find out whats going on but just keep getting voice mail. The one guitarist called back early this morning while I was still sleeping and told me to call him later when he got home from work. So I have been trying to get this dealt with right from the start.

18. Where was the club owner during all of this?

19. First of all let me say DJ's SUCK, IMHO (of course) They steal work from musicians. In these tough times clubs are unfortunately a lot more willing to shell out $200 for a DJ vs $500 for a band I've played a couple clubs that do this same DJ / Band thing and it's almost always a lopsided crowd at best. However, I've never been told BY THE DJ OF ALL PEOPLE to stop a set. I'd probably just ignore him and finish our set. Sounds like this dude is a real a$$h0le, that sucks your gig got ruined b/c of him. I'll bet if you weren't mentally distracted by the DJ's BS you wouldn't have tripped over that cord either. I hope it works out for you man.

20. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Two club owners, both there. The club owner told us the DJ was running the show and would tell us when to play and when to take a break, the DJ kept telling us it was up to the club owner.

If the cables had been taped down right in the first place I wouldn't have tripped over it either. But someone didn't think to bring enough duct tape which is not my responsibility, we have a guy that gets paid to run sound and run the cables, tape them down, etc.