1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hanging basses on drywall?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Jan 3, 2012.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I got approval from the head office to hang some of my basses up. :eek: :hyper:

I think I'm going to use these Hercules hangers:

Hercules Stands Wallmount Guitar Hanger: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

I saw in the Pics of your Bass Room thread that several people used these other Hercules ones:

Hercules Stands GSP38WB Wood Wallmount Guitar Hanger: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

But, since the first one attaches with 3 screws instead of 2, I think that will be better for me.

The question is, have any of you had any problems with using these attached directly to drywall? As in, have you ever had a bass fall?

I'm thinking that, with 3 screws into plastic drywall anchors (like http://www.amazon.com/OOK-59208-Pie...ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1325619982&sr=1-7 or http://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SnapSkru-Self-Drilling-Drywall-Fastener/dp/B0051IB63Q/ref=pd_cp_hi_1), and the basses all weighing 10 pounds or less, it should be fine.

Thanks for any help!

ps. I couldn't spot a subforum that seemed more appropriate than this one for this thread, but if there is, mods feel free to move it (as if you wouldn't anyway ;)).

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I can't imagine putting them into drywall alone, they need to be anchored to the studs. Barring that, a big plank of nice solid 3/4" minimum hardwood anchored to the studs, then the hangers attach to the wood.

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I wouldn't trust drywall anchors...for pictures sure, not a bass.

Agree with the above posters, find a stud and use it, or like mmbongo suggested and mount hardwood between 2 studs and mount hanger to it.

Good Luck!

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I have six basses(8.2-12lbs) hung using the 2 screw hangers. Due to the spacing used to keep things symmetrical,only two are anchored to studs. They've been there for over five years with no problems. As with any application of a screw,just don't "overtighten" the drywall insert resulting in an augered-out hole,and it should hold fine..

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Make sure it's not Chinese drywall or your treasured basses could dissolve into a pile of goo from the toxic offgassing. :D

6. ia02

ia02

Nov 30, 2008
  7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    of course it's always best to use a stud, or a strip of wood screwed to the studs, but IMO, if you used three EZ anchors (the 75lb version) and install them properly, even a 20lb bass is nothing for them.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Diff only attach hangers where screws go into stud.

9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    +100 on the EZ anchors. They're very strong and easy to use. I've got lots of stuff in my house supporter with them-
    surroung sound speakers and my Modulus Q5 and Q6.

10. ia02

ia02

Nov 30, 2008
    these are also decent anchors, and three would be sufficient. just avoid the small plastic plug style anchors for sure

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    A 15lb bass, when/if accidentally dropped even an inch or so into a hanger puts quite a bit more weight because of the momentum. In addition, it's not hanging straight down where shear strength would be able to tolerate a heavier load. You're sticking it out a few inches from the wall where...oh...just don't do it.....
    Don't even think about it.

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree about the hook protruding and taking basses on and off of it, but i have a drywall mounted rotating coat hook in my entry way that sticks out 12" (way longer than a guitar hook) and it's attached with three 75lb EZ anchors. even though i've told her not to, my wife has put more than 75 lbs of heavy, long leather jackets, sweaters and sweatshirts on it and it hasn't budged a bit.

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1. I have three expensive basses hanging on drywall using String Swing hangers and wall anchors. They've been there for years with zero issues.

14. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks, funkingroovin, ia02, and johnk_10, that's exactly the input I was looking for.

I was already looking at some drywall anchors similar to those, johnk_10. The ones I saw on Amazon said they're good for 79 pounds (per anchor), and that the manufacturer recommends to not exceed 25% of that for normal use.

ia02, the thing about those that you suggested that bothers me is that I have to drill a 1/2" hole. And, the specs do not list a weight rating.

I think, with 3 anchors holding the hanger, each rated at 75 pounds or more, I should be good without going into a stud or mounting a hardwood backing plate. Doing the math, 25% of 3 x 75 works out to a theoretical safe working limit of 56.25 pounds. I think my 10 pound basses should be safe. Even if I go with the 2 screw version, and only count on the top screw, that's still almost a 19 pound safe working limit. Almost double what I need.

But, I definitely wanted to check here first, in case anybody had actually tried this logic and found out it doesn't survive contact with the real world. :)

Thanks, all.

15. I would NEVER do such a thing, but I have children. :atoz:

16. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    More good info while I was typing that last one. Thanks, everybody!

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, if you want even more overkill, you could use THESE instead. they're good for 100lbs each on a wall, an 50lbs hanging from the ceiling.

18. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    +1, big time!

Found this out the hard way. Hung 5 basses and by the time I got to the fifth, the first one (Zon Legacy) came crashing down. Caught the Ricky before it fell and immediately pulled the rest down. Would not hang another unless it's in a stud. Another time, after that incident, I hung some on a wall that was drywall over a block wall and just used concrete anchors. The whole house wou;d've come down before the basses would :D

19. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    ^^Interesting. Once I get the hangers, I will go to HD and Lowe's to get anchors. But, it's good to know in advance what my options are to be looking for.