1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harley Benton Enhanced Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klaymaster, Oct 25, 2018.

1. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    NoSlapForYou and Bass V like this.
  2. slantedpanted

slantedpanted

Oct 19, 2007
    Thomann is as I understand one ofte biggest Sire/Markus Miller distributors....

Looks like they want an even bigger slice of the marked.

jd56hawk likes this.
  3. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    These are great competition for that. They are clearly inspired/copied from Sandberg

4. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    They are non-US distributors. Anyone know if there are any extra fees/import taxes other than the basic shipping cost to ship to US?

And I and gebass6 like this.
  5. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Sweet baby Jesus. I had a Vintage HB Jazz and was impressed. This is killer, they have a Lake Placid Blue as well. Sold.

klaymaster likes this.
  6. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    5 string P-H in natural
    upload_2018-10-26_7-57-34.

7. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Not really my thing, but I admire Thomann's ability to read the market. If they see a lot of Sandberg and Sire stuff leaving the warehouse then this range makes a lot of sense.

420 Bass It likes this.
  8. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I want one of each. They are active/passive have stainless steel frets and sell for around $400 for a 5 string. Yep.

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I ordered the ash P/MM5 and the blue J/MM5. Currently says 6-7 weeks. I don't need them, but they seemed like decent basses for not much money.

Adam is playing one in this video:

10. And ebony fingerboards. They seem a good poor man's Sandberg. They look much better than I expected. The body seems thin and not too heavy. Looking forward for a blue one, most probably a 4 or 5 string JM.

420 Bass It, klaymaster and BassikLee like this.
  11. 420 Bass It

420 Bass It

May 29, 2017
    I'm looking for a new 5 string and this seems like a very good candidate...
    A quick look at the P-bass page tells me they now use aftermarket tuners and bridges? f5f0a14392.

I looked it up and they're some obscure stuff from a brand called WSC. However, the specifications on their website are really well detailed...
    WSC Music : Your Guitar Parts Solutions

JB45-CR-R4-DETAIL-IMAGE-%EB%8F%84%EB%A9%B42.

Makes me wonder if getting one and upgrading it to Hipshots is feasible.

12. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    By definition, aftermarket hardware means it's installed after the bass leaves the factory. These basses use the hardware listed, but it's OEM stuff. I'm sure it's decent hardware. I have two of these on order. I'll post here when they arrive.

420 Bass It likes this.
  13. @420 Bass It

Those JB45 tuners are dynamite,I've used them on a few basses. Very solid,very reliable :) The locking SK-5 bridge is no slouch either. Would be nice if Thomann listed the correct parts :laugh:

My experience with Roswell pickups is limited to the big pole single coil in the PB-50,great pickup but those poles were the wrong look for a 51 style P-bass.

Tune basses are built by WSC so technically the pickups/preamp in my old TWB-4 are Roswell. It's a serious bit of kit so I don't forsee any problems with this new line from Thomann.

420 Bass It and BassikLee like this.
  14. 420 Bass It

420 Bass It

May 29, 2017
    I'm actually glad you have good experiences with this hardware because that's mostly what was preventing me from purchasing one (along with weight I guess). This is also a problem with the Sire basses - there aren't any drop-in replacements that I know of for Sire tuners/bridges.

15. @420 Bass It

I can weigh the tuners and bridge when I finish work, I've a 4 string waiting for them.

Be a good few hours yet, not went 10am here in Scotland.

420 Bass It likes this.
  16. Tuners weigh 3oz each and 8oz for the bridge.

420 Bass It likes this.
  17. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    After TWO unsuccessful attempts to order these, I think the third time is going to be the ticket. My CC kept rejecting Thomann, so I decided to use real money and just get the Jazz for now. I'll post a review. Might even do a video.

Bonus round, I happen to have a Sire jazz plate preamp. If that drops in, it's going in the jazz. I used to have an ice blue jazz five. Wasn't a Fender. I've missed it. This will be like getting that bass back, and a NBD, all rolled into one.

Attached Files:

420 Bass It likes this.
  18. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Ship notifications received. I caved and ordered the P/MM too. I plan to do videos.

19. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL

20. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    OK, so the P version arrived. Fit/finish is at least as nice as the J. Three piece ash body, satin finish. Very nice. There's some sort of issue with the electronics. It seemed like the bridge pickup was a bit....weak or nasal sounding, and the whole bass was maybe a tad dark, like a passive tone control rolled about halfway off. Plugged it in tonight, and the bridge pickup didn't work at all. Then it came back. I haven't reached out to Thomann about it yet, but I will. I will post what they say or do about it. I'm sure this isn't a feature. I would not let this one bass' issue scare you away if you were in the market for something like this.

Jeff O'Connor and Marihino like this.