1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone bought and NOT liked a Sadowsky??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by violetmind, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Ummm midrange.. Pretty much I only scooped my mids when I'm practicing alone but when playing live just like any other amp set flat bass boosted just a hint. :)

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    If I went by what most listeners hear I probably wouldn't be playing bass! :p Seriously, I find the "people in the audience won't know the difference" argument largely irrelevant compared to how a particular bass' sound inspires one to play. You know that feeling when the sound of each note just makes you look forward to the next? Where the responsiveness of the instrument has you playing like you've just fallen in love with music all over again? The audience will probably have no clue about the effect your bass' tone is having on the way you're actually playing - but you will. And that, to me, counts for a lot.

3. I've never played a Sadowsky, but I do not like the price.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Im with bass12. My god, most people in the audience think I play guitar. LOL People dont know. The majority are just happy and having a good time. The player knows. You've gotta love what you choose

Rob

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    +10,0000

Again, a great post. Makes perfect sense to me.
    Feel that way about a LOT of things!

Things are going well Rob....I'll shoot you a PM tonight.
    Hitting almost as many gigs this year as you! LOL!
    (and then I see the WL5 is on it's way....gonna have to kick Roger's behind soon!)

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Very cool, Mike

Was gonna post in ur motorcycle thread. My 89 HD deserves some press. Nice Vrod, btw. Stay healthy, my friend

Rob

7. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    wave01.gif

Well, I won't say "I didn't like it"; they're obviously fine instruments.

But, when I was looking for a new bass, I tried a Sadowsky UV70, a Lākland 44-60, and a Fender 75RI.

I bought the Fender.

8. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I've owned close to a hundred basses in the last 10 years (not at one time :eek:), buying/selling/trading, mostly used, most from other TB'ers. In the long run I've come out moderately close to even financially and had a lot of fun trying out lots of basses from a moderately wide selection of high end and not so high end sources, and finding out what works best for me.

I've ended up with a list of 3 luthiers whose basses consistently work well for me and make up 4 of my current arsenal of 5 basses, and 2 of them are Sadowsky Metros. (Teaser - the other two luthiers on that list are sharing a booth at NAMM next year!).

Not everyone will agree with me, or with you, and that's OK. Given that individual preferences for music are so diverse, it stands to reason that our preferences for the basses we use to make that music will be all over the place as well, which is certainly reflected in this thread.

Has anyone played a Sadowsky and not liked it? Useful question, given that so many posters seem to rave about them, but that question still so much depends on personal preference that its like asking whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better. Anybody ever eaten Bluebell Vanilla and not liked it? Well, yeah, probably somewhere. Not me, personally... :hyper:

Re Sadowsky basses vs the many others I've had experience with, I'll say 4 things that I believe to be true regardless of personal preference.

1) Fit, finish, materials, and quality of work (including the Metro line) are second to none. Service and response time to questions has been very good on the rare occasions I've needed it.

2) His basses are in the Fender-style family, but with way better quality control and materials across the board, and with their own sound. I used to have a mid-60's Fender jazz bass as well as a late 70's Marcus style Fender jazz and have never wanted to reacquire either (at least not for tonal purposes). Note, however, that I cannot compare to Fender custom shop instruments as I've never had the opportunity to try one of those.

3) All basses sound different in a mix than in the store, not just Roger's. But I agree that I've never yet played one of his that didn't sit well for me and sound great in a live mix with minimal adjustment required, even with the 2-band pre. That is definitely not true across the board IME.

4) For those who think the Sadowsky B-string is lacking, what planet are you living on? :D Just kidding... but that one is VERY hard for me to understand. That's part of the Sadowsky mojo that comes close to voodoo for me - none of the other 5 strings I've EVER played with the single exception of Dingwalls and one very cool Zon could compete with the B on any of the Sadowskys I've played. Including most of the 35" scale basses.

YMMV, etc... that is all.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Some of the ones I tried were quite nice, but not to the point that I might consider buying one.
    If they "spoke to me" the way that some others do, I would get one because that would make it worth it for me.

But I still think however that they are a little pricey considering what they are and regardless of the perfect fit and finish (which can be found on many basses these days, alongside great customer care and service)

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've played a new.
    They're nice basses, but I wasn't blown away.

Just couldn't get the right vibe from the ones i've played.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1! I don't care if the audience notices or not. I notice.

Like you say, YMMV. I love my Sadowsky NYC very much. It's an awesome bass. But my Modulus Q5's low B smokes the Sadowsky low B in every way.

I think my Sadowsky low B feels pretty good, but it feels like a limp noodle in comparison to my Modulus. It's also not quite as even sounding with the other strings. 34" scale vs 35"? Wood vs CF? Pickup height/setup? I dunno.

My SR5 low B was better too...

12. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I don't recall what model I played. It was gorgeous. But I either didn't like the way it was set up, or I didn't like IT.

The time will come when I try a different model (the one I tried had an amazing amber flame maple top) - and maybe I'll like it.

13. +1. My Sadowsky has a fantastic B string, but Dingwall beats pretty much everything out there in the low B department. Having said that, I no longer own my Afterburner 1 because found the neck a bit uncomfortable in the first few positions and because I prefer active basses. My Sadowsky M5-24 suits me much better and the B string is so good that I don't miss the Dingwall.

It also can't be overstated that Sadowskys really shine in a band context. All the notes come through clearly. Maybe Roger should have a room in his shop where customers can play along with piped in music!

I've never played a Sadowsky I didn't like. Then again, I've only ever played one (I did wind up buying it though). I have heard some sound clips that didn't knock me over but that's about it.

14. I played a Metro 24 fret and, as nice as it looked, I liked my Valenti better. I didn't hate it but the Valenti had that certain something that made it better. It may have been the 70's spacing, the EMG's, or the Aggie 3 band pre but all in all, if they were both in the same shop, I would have taken the Valenti home.

15. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I wasn't using the "people don't know the difference. I actually think people know more than many musicians realize.

When I said that you woundn't be able to hear the difference I meant to YOU. Or another bassplayer.

Most people can't tell the difference from a high end and a medium end instrument as long as it's a good sound. It's not like everyone will say "OH THAT is a better sound. "

I know. I've tested it many times.

16. I know what you mean. We've been auditioning drummers lately. At one audition, I played my Sad and every note could be heard clearly. Next audition, I played my Ken Smith (a GREAT bass) but some of the upper range notes weren't cutting through. Some amp fiddling might have helped, but I'd rather bring an instrument that requires minimal fuss. My only gripe is that my Sadowsky is almost too bright, since it has no vintage tone control.

17. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan

They may not know the difference between a bass or a guitar, but believe me, they know if it sounds good or doesn't.

18. Glad you brought that up. I'm considering getting either another Sadowsky or one of the new Carvin SB4000/SB5000 models that are getting alot of praise.

I could afford another Sadowsky but the thing is, I don't know what I want! I'll have to make a trip to your fair city and head to Bass San Diego (I assume that's the shop you went to) and the Carvin store and then decide!

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Speaking from experience, I can say that Sadowsky owners may irk Non-Sadowsky types because they are so utterfly confident in their basses. They can sound sometimes like religious fundamentalists.:D

I think people who don't or can't own Sadowskys should just be happy for them. Like a religion, it is a wonderful when something helps you live your life and helps you make sense of what it is you do.:)

Like religion, Sadowskys will not light everyone's path, but for those who are lifted by owning one, more power to you!:bassist:

Nomogram likes this.
  20. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I have owned several Sadowskys, and while they do sound good, There wasn't enough there to make me keep them. On the other hand, I have a Tobias that I bought in 1988 and still play regularly. In addition, I own a MTD 534 neckthru (#1900) and have another one being built for me now.