1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has TB moved on from Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModulusQ5-122, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ModulusQ5-122

ModulusQ5-122 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Hey guys, I’ve just recently become active again on Tb after many years. Boy it seems things have changed in the bass world. When I first started to be very active here about 10 years ago it seemed that Lakland got a ton of love, (me too, Lakland fan here). But now there are so many other bass brands that quite honestly I’d never even heard of before until starting to browse around the threads again recently.

So I guess the point of this thread is....What’s the bass brand craze that everyone seems to be into these days?

BTW I still love all my Laklands, but always down for trying new bass brands that people really like.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Sadowsky and Dingwall, in my observations, are two brands that most guys here lose their minds over...

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Add Roscoe to that list. They were super popular on here around ‘10-‘14. I hardly see them mentioned anymore.

Funny enough, Dingwall wasn’t super well received for awhile. I think people didn’t care for their looks or fanned frets until they actually got their hands on one.

bigjames, DanGouge, dan1952 and 4 others like this.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    rickpascual, MarkJC8, TH63 and 23 others like this.
  5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Ha ha, I'm that guy. The whole fanned fret/angled pickups thing makes me go "o_O" every time...

I have no doubt they are incredibly well-made, great-sounding basses, but I doubt I'll ever own one...

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Probably right. I was surprised when I recently saw a couple guys on TB who have always been big EBMM fans suddenly mentioned a lust for Dingwall. They do seem to be coming up in popularity.

SunnBass likes this.
  7. I'm sure Lakland still makes great basses, though until recently announcing a new model it was just more of the same. I loved mine and I had several. As a 5-string player, their unwillingness to make a 34" Skyline 5 string series moved me off to other makers. I always wanted one of the original-style hollowbodies with Darkstars...

8. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    So you even missed the whole Sire-MM hype era?

9. basscase666

basscase666

Jun 17, 2020
    I like the Skyline 55 series, but won't buy one. Not enough choices for finishes. I don't like maple fretboards, maple body caps or solid paint; so not a lot of choices there. It didn't used to be this way.

I also think the Skylines, while great instruments, are priced too high. For the same $$$ as a Skyline, I can get a more-or-less comparable Ibby for less.

miljoneir likes this.
  10. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    At the moment Sadowsky is getting a lot of praise, don’t know much about Sadowsky’s. Also the Sandbergs are gaining traction, personally, I’m loving the look of the California but not the price :laugh:

11. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    New York, USA
    All I've been hearing about is Sire and G&L.

12. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I hear this Fender company has something going on.

14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Mike Lull is always popular.

Geri O and TN WOODMAN like this.
  15. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.

16. Done with the old news, on to the next great hype....

17. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    This. Being just a hobbyist, and at my current stage and situation of life, I can't justify spending multiple mortgage payments on a bass.

xhawk5, Dan Stone, TN WOODMAN and 5 others like this.
  18. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Applies to me as well...however, even if I had money to burn, aesthetically, I find the Dingwalls jarring/distracting, so I'd be reluctant to buy one based on that aspect alone.

Dan Stone, bigjames and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York

There's also google listening to you through various devices and feeding you marketing based on what you talk about and search so it is more than just a feeling...there is an algorithm.

20. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Mayones... probably not getting the level of love of the others being mentioned, but they should be. Maybe the nicest bass I’ve ever played.