1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headless Club???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If my missus was still alive (concert pianist and guitarist), if I'd said that to her, she would have just shrugged and said buy it.

1986 XL2, Status S2000 (carbon monocoque version), Hohner B2 and B2V, Spirit XT2* and a Spirit GT HSS guitar.
    Headless instruments.jpg
    * proof that ebay and bourbon don't mix.

Edit; Just remembered I've promised to loan the guitar to a friend who travels all the time for business.

2. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Sounds like my current gal then when she actually hears me play it, she begs me to sell it back. I can never win :roflmao:

3. sonojono

4. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Sorry for your troubles!

sonojono likes this.
  5. sonojono

6. I am interested in your impressions and comparisons between these models. I didn’t find an update so I am nudging you to give the report. I was eyeing Hohner B2 series but someone claims little differences between Hohner and Cort, Spirit also. What’s your thoughts?

MovinTarget likes this.
  7. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    Just found this thread, so I guess I'm required to post! Strandberg Boden Prog 4!
    IMG_20191110_100921.jpg

8. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I really had no intentions of buying this bass.

I saw it on eBay, and six hours before the auction ended I threw in a “I can’t pass it up at this price, but it’s never going to sell here” (read that to mean low) bid. I didn’t look at the auction again until it ended to prevent myself from upping my bid.

To my surprise, I won the auction $10 below my top bid.

Overall, it’s in really good shape for a 32 year old bass. A few small dings, and a little buckle rash on the back, but nothing major. CC518FD1-86F5-415A-BDBB-E917B6CC9119.jpeg

9. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I’m usually not a fan of that body shape, but I have to admit, that’s a beautiful bass.

10. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I'm fighting the desire to pick up that five-string in the classifieds.

BrentSimons, sonojono and imdkoz like this.
  11. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    I was hesitant with the price but wow, it's an incredible bass. Super comfortable weight wise and the EndurNeck helps you play in the right position without feeling off. If you know what I mean.

loopee, BrentSimons and lucas303 like this.
  12. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    Thanks! It really is a great bass.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    That looks awesome! Do you (or anybody else) know who manufactures their tuners/headpiece, and if they're available separately?

14. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Tennessee
    According to the website - The proprietary hardware is constructed of aircraft grade aluminum,
    • .strandberg* EGS Rev 2 bass tuners & string locks. Looks like they make all their own hardware.
    They seem to be available on the website. Spare Parts | .strandberg* Guitars

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    ctmullins likes this.
  15. sonojono

imdkoz likes this.
  16. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I have 3 passive Hohners (one with flats), of what two are humbuckers and one is jazz and a fourth bass what is a active fretless with nylon-taped strings. I also have a Cort set up as a 3 string tuned 5th and octave. And then I have the Spirit. All are worthy instruments, the flats one is the easiest to play, the Spirit next. Quality-wise the Cort lacks the flip-down rest and is therefore less desirable ergonomically, altho' the body shape makes it fairly usable sitting down, but it is not as hot a sound. All sound pretty good but not as good as my P, Jazz or PJ Fenders, but I love the size (full scale, y'know) and they are fast-playing, solid, light and easily transported. The size is particularly great on the fretless as you can see much better, as necessary. I never felt the need for a strap extender, and I only ever broke one string. I played a P for years as my main, then went to the BA2's, now an Aerodyne.

MoBetterBASS and sonojono like this.
  17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Dunno if these have been mentioned, but I looked at the Conklin site today for the first time*, and saw the Bugout and WiggleStik. The latter particularly tickles my tastes with the ash body, graphite neck and multiscale. Can't see me ever getting one as the current exchange rate would make it $A6k + shipping + 10% tax, or about 1.55x what an American would pay for it.

There are a couple of others, but they have pickguards, which I loathe.

* Odd since I've had a GT5 for about 12 years; it's my main 5 string.

18. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    I'm curious about the new Yamaha Nathan East Headless....

19. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA

I am Furiously googling "Yamaha Nathan East Headless" right NOW!!!

20. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts!

vvvmmm and sonojono like this.