1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heaviest Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JonTishBASS, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:30 AM.

1. JonTishBASS

JonTishBASS

Jan 29, 2018
    My jazz bass has had mods over the years, new pickgaurd, bridge cover, pickup cover, etc... and it weighs about 13 lbs. How heavy are your basses?

Ellery likes this.
  2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Several mid-70s Jazzes I've played.

My old Alembic S1 Point.

A 'hog, maple and padauk Jazz I knocked up.

3. Had a 70's jazz bass tipped the scales at 13lb but an acrylic bodied 5 string topped that weighing 14lb.

My T40s range from 12lb to 10.5lb, mere lightweights:D

rendevouz and Gunga Din like this.
  4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I have a ‘75 Jazz bass that warps space-time.

mtdkingstonheir, Mili, NOVAX and 7 others like this.
  5. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It use to be that it was great to have an amp and cabinet be much lighter than their predecessors. Now it is basses also. My Sadowsky 5 NYC and Fender American Pro's are at or closer to 8 pounds. My 89 Musicman 5 is like holding a bus on my shoulder. I don't even gig with it any longer but it sounds so good and I can't get myself to sell it.

6. The heaviest of my 6 basses is an OLP MM2 @ 9lb 12oz

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My old J was a boat anchor - old northern Ash body, P-spec Warmoth neck with steel rods, high mass bridge, and vintage tuners. Easily tipped 10 pounds.

But the absolute heaviest was my old Corvette fretless. Bubinga body and the thickest neck I’ve ever played. Almost 13 lbs on the scale!

Both purchased online. The latter was easy to flip and I only lost about $10 in shipping. I somehow turned a profit on the former by staying local

wmmj and flyingfinbar like this.
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I've had two- A Koa Travis Bean was about 14 lbs. and an Alembic Series One (before the Series name, it was just called an Alembic bass) must have run 14-15lbs.

Gunga Din, LBS-bass and btmpancake like this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    All just below 4 Kg.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

13 lbs? ouch! i like the feel of a lot of the heavier axes...but i've committed to lighter basses and i can't see myself going back. i still have one --- and i'll keep it --- but i don't play it much as it's not my first choice anymore.

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Kramer 650B, probably around 13 to 15 lbs. I don't have it anymore; got rid of it years ago. Currently the heaviest I own is a Music Man Sterling at 10.2.

12. I remember playing an old Hagstrom Swede bass back in the 70s. It was the heaviest bass I have ever played.:vomit: My shoulder was very sore after a 4 hr gig despite the fact that I was in excellent physical condition.:meh:

Groove Doctor and jd56hawk like this.
  13. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I'll give the Peavey T40 and several mid 70's jazz basses a pass on this one because every Stanley Clark endorsed Alembic I picked up.... OMG! and I was younger and in shape too but you talk about beauty and tone on loan from god but you paid for it dearly in price too because they were expensive and were heavy as hell even sitting down. I'd like to know what gym he was working out of.

14. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I built an 8-string bass in the '90s and went a little overboard with the exotic hardwoods; bubinga and wenge neck-through with purpleheart stringers and zircote body sections.

It weighed 25 lbs.:eek:

It's a wall decoration in my music room now.

Larchi, Max, covermego and 6 others like this.
  15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    My Gibson Victory Artist has its own gravitational field.

I’m sure it’s north of 13lbs

sneha1965, BigBatch, NOVAX and 3 others like this.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Never weighed my long gone T-40, but it was the heaviest bass I've ever had. My P-Elite seemed a lot lighter but now it's the heaviest bass I still own...10 pounds on the bathroom scale. So the T-40 might have been pushing 12.

17. George End

George End

May 1, 2018
    Back in the 90s I played an Alembic 5 string Europa. That weighed around 15 pounds. It sounded amazing but if it was a 3 set night you were going to be tired.

18. aldaa

aldaa Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Alabama
    my bass is a 22 LBer. it's a fretless short scale 5 string largemouth

fretless bass.

Squittolo, Nashrakh, Helix and 10 others like this.
  19. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    This is the heaviest bass I've ever owned. The wings are maple and walnut, ...or should I say maple with a little bit of walnut on the back. I don't have a scale but I could probably kill somebody with this thing! (....but the tone is worth it!) 20181109_094301.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't have any over 9 lbs anymore because my 98 Jazz tore up my shoulder...10 lbs.

Gunga Din likes this.