1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heaviest currently made Cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dilatant, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    Who's making the heaviest cabs right now? I 'just bought a bunch of the Aguilar DB line. I'm not a fan of the new light weight stuff. my gear sits in a studio anyway. the high end EDEN cabs seem impossible to find but, their website says its available, I think? I'm only interested in the current offerings. So sad that Mesa dropped the Power House line!

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Peavey's are still pretty heavy.

4. By the way for those who don't know, this was a real, working thing. Double everything you know about an SVT+810 Fridge, including the price. Marinade on that a bit, and then double the price one more time. Now you're close. Time to buy a ladder, and a truck with a liftgate.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Heavy alone doesn’t make a great speaker anymore than light alone makes a great speaker.

6. I've gotten heavier during Covid slack time but I'm still a crummy speaker.

Rich48, Spyrosaab, Robert B and 30 others like this.
  7. that is definitely true, but I'd rather a mediocre light speaker than a mediocre heavy speaker. At least one of them is easier to get up and down stairs that may or may not be frozen over at 3am.

Of course, OP theirself said they don't have to worry about that anyways.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Your on the the right track. The Aguilar DB810 is spec'ed at 184lbs. That's the heaviest cab mass production bass cab I know of.

9. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    I love the heft of the old school cabs(and heads)but, will get some berg pieces as well for some sonic contrast. I think having nice cabs in the studio is inspiring to clients as well. physical gear in general, creates an immersive atmosphere to the recording process. The eich stuff looks great, too bad they don't have more dealers in the U.S.

10. I'd give the Bergantino nxt line a try before knocking the light weight stuff off the list entirely just my thoughts.

Davethebassguy likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I'm not aware of any main brand making cabs as heavy as Ampeg. They are great, that's not a slam.

For boutique brands Atlas makes cabs heavier than they need to be by a lot. And they look great.

Another option is to wear a weight vest so it seems like you're doing more work or just lay some free weight plates on top of a Subway cabinet and be done with it.
    BassSixTwelveCabinet_2000x.jpg

Fuzzonaut, MCF, thetragichero and 3 others like this.
  12. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Folks listening with their eyes is common enough, but listening with the spinal column is a bit more unusual.

13. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    I discovered the ATLAS stuff the other day and was impressed. but, The build times are quite lengthy.

MCF likes this.
  14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Regardless of where my cab sits most of the time, weight would not be a key criteria I'd use to shop for a new cab. I agree that some of the early lightweight cabs were simply badly designed (IMO), but we are long past the time when you must have weight to get good sound IME.

I think my Mesa SW, Audiokinesis, GK, and Bergantino cabs sound every bit as good as my Mesa PH cabs...and you can probably guess which ones I prefer carry to a gig! :)

MCF, lomo, dkelley and 2 others like this.
  15. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
  16. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    HA!
    My favorite scene in Ruthless People.

2tonic likes this.
  17. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    HolmeBass, Morrighan and jeff7bass like this.
  18. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA