1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heavy replacement for MIM 5er bass bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vindibona1, May 17, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    At some point, probably soon I'd like to replace the bridge on my MIM 5er (toploader) with a heavy bridge. I've got a Gotoh 201-b4 on my 4 string and if nothing else it looks cool and was a drop-in.

I'd like to find a heavy mass bridge that is a drop in where I don't have to drill and fill holes but am having difficulty locating one with the same hole locations. So I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of such a bridge? Here's a photo of the hole design in my current bridge. TIA

5stringbassbridge.

2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Frankly, I wouldn't replace it - I purposely used one of those bridges on a US Peavey Foundation 5, and think it's an excellent bridge... Peavey Hardshell Case(1).JPG

3. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    You may be right. It does sound pretty good as is and maybe a heavy bridge is overkill. I just put an Audere pre-amp in it and is a beast just as is. I did put a heavy Gotoh bridge on my 4 string and if nothing else it added to the coolness factor. But my MIM 5er is pretty cool looking as is.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Well, there isn't anything lacking with that bridge as is, IMO - the saddles, screws, intonation screws and springs are all quite functional and heavy duty as is - and the bridge plate itself is beefier than a typical Fender "bent tin" bridge plate... I have to say that it's worked extremely well on the Foundation 5 in my pic, and I have no intention whatsoever of changing it...