Help Identifying a Sunn 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LoPan787, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    Hey all,

I'm probably going to be purchasing this Sunn Sorado come Monday. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the cab it's coming with? I know it's a 2x15 and probably from the late 60s/early 70s. I've only got a few good pics, though.

Thanks!

PS asking price for the whole shebang is $600? Good deal?

Attached Files:

2. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    One more pic.

Attached Files:

3. I think the 200S rigs w/2-15s go for more than that, and essentially that's what you've got here.

IIRC Sunn used a couple different sources for drivers including the almighty JBL D140F :bassist:

If that's in good working condition I'd say go for it. It's only 50-60 watts but it's a beautiful sound. Worth finding out what drivers are in there.

The guy to ask around here would be JohnK_10, the master of vintage gear knowledge.

4. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    Sweet, thanks a bunch!

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    that's a nice rig and in excellent condition. i can see by the slight discoloration by the two ports that it is a Sorado 2x15 cab and not a 200S (large center vented). IIRC Sorado's came with Sunn 15's and not JBL's but 'edbass' is the Sunn expert around here. i'm guessing that it's from the early 70's. BTW, for $600, IMO you're stealing it. buy it and be happy! the head has two 6550's in it so it's identical to a 200S head and IMO, that is worth $600 alone, especially in that condition. someone has installed a plug-in SS rectifier in it instead of the GZ34 but IMO, that's a good thing. it tighten up the low end a gives it a little more voltage and a tiny bit more of headroom.

6. It's junk!

I guess i could help out and give you your money back and a finder fee of $300. Feeling like a nice guy today;)

7. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    You're too kind! I'll have to pass today, though hahaha

Thanks for the help, JohnK. I think I'm definitely going to be grabbing this rig. I play in a very heavy band, but I might use this one specifically for recording or with my home music/other bands. I'm going to try to get edbass in on this one, too.

Do you know anything about the quality of the Sunn speakers vs. JBL's?

8. Then you better hurry I won't let it sit in centerville to much longer ;)

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Indeed, that is the matching cab for the Sorado which sports the smaller tube ports. Same size as the 200s cab, but different porting and the speakers, unless they've been changed, will be the Sunn Transducers, not JBLs. Like JohnK said, the rectifier has been replaced with a SS plug, and that's a personal preference. One thing to note though, is that the transformer on the right...something strikes me as different about it. To my knowledge they used the same transformers as the 200s, and I went and checked out my 200s (tube rect version, about the same age), and the one in the pic differs, at least in appearance, from the one in my amp. But then again, Sunn was known for little differences every now and then, and I'm by no means an authoritative source on transformers, so maybe Ed will chime in and correct me.

Either way, $600 for a loaded cab and head in that sort of condition is awesome. I bought just the 200s head for somewhere around $475-500, so that's a great deal.

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    the Sunn speakers are okay, but IMO, they don't hold a candle to the JBL's efficiency, power handling or tone.
    if it has the stock speakers, the OEM speakers were stamped frame, square magneted CTS woofers that were a common low priced "go to" driver for many manufacturers in that era; the ones in that cab would have been labeled "Sunn Bass Transducer".

11. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    For what it's worth, in my opinion John is on it like "white on ice". :D

As far as the output tranny, the 60 watt Sunns came with Dynacos initially and then Dynacos or Schumachers. I think the one in the ad looks right, although it may well look a little different than yours Dylan.

LoPan787; if you decide not to buy it, PM me please... ;)

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have that identical rig -- in near-mint condition -- which I have down for recapping, which is a nosebleed because the single values in the extinct multicaps are no longer made, like a 30mFD/650V. So you have to make them.

$600 seems high to me.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    With square magnet structures. I replaced mine with D-140s back when we were both youngsters.

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    the Sorado's first filter cap (right before the choke) is a 30uf/525V. if you're using singles instead of the stock type multicap, you could use one of these 30uf/600V caps in there since they'll never see anything over 550 volts:

Fliptops

however, i always use the CE 30/20/20/[email protected] multicap when i recap mine.

the SS rectified ones require two [email protected] caps and sprague still offers a 20uf/600V (although they are just two 300V 40uf caps in series inside a single package).

15. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    Did you buy it Fuzzy Beard? Somebody swept it already when I told the guy I was going to be buying it! If so, that was a low, low blow, man.

16. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    I still can't believe he sold it when I told him I was going to buy it... That's just not right. Sellers shouldn't do that to people, man. Really bums out the rest of my day...

17. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually the correct can cap is NOT extinct; the factory specified 30/20/20/20 cans are still made, and they are available rated at 550V+. They are a "drop in", direct replacement for the original Sunn aluminum can.

But; they ain't cheap... I think the only US source gets $70 each.

I have them in one of my 2000Ss and in an old split chassis Sunn. I have one to put in one of my 200Ss, but haven't got around to it yet.

The original 525V rating was an Achilles heel of sorts for the old Sunn (and Dynaco) amps since the cap would see over that, particularly at startup, and modern wall voltages have made it even more of an over voltage situation.
    So, even if you can find the NOS can cap (which I wouldn't trust anyway; some electrolytics don't age gracefully) it's pretty much obsolete for dependable gig use before you snap it in.

There are a few solutions, I've used most, and tonally prefer the SDS board which takes the filter up to 630V and 60uF across the board; stiffens up the bottom a little.

I think $600 is a deal for that rig; 60 watt Sunns regularly bring close to that (sometimes more) without the matching cab.

Attached Files:

• KTL.pdf
      File size:
      239.1 KB
      Views:
  18. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    Well, it'd would've been a good deal. I'd gotten a van to pick it up and was scheduled to buy it this evening... guy went and sold it already. Why would you do that? It's wrong. He knew I was coming to buy it. Hell, I told him I could get it yesterday, but he never responded to me and went and sold it. This really makes me livid, man.

19. LoPan787

LoPan787

Feb 16, 2012
    NKY
    Last time I post to Talkbass with pictures about something I'm going to be purchasing. That's for sure.

20. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004

:rollno:

The seller probably just wanted it "gone"; I would imagine you weren't the only one who told him you were a "serious buyer".
    At $600 he was probably just tired of responding to people; no doubt lots of low balls and lame trade offers. ;)

By the way; I was very tempted but it wasn't me either!
    But... I would have PayPal'ed him the money the instant you told me you weren't going to buy it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021