1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with next set of Round Wound strings for Ray34

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Badwater, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It's been 3 weeks since I got a Ray 34. I play it several hours a day, and sometimes more than 5+ hours a day. The D and G strings are starting to sound dead (Factory original strings). Is this normal? And what type of strings came with the Ray34?

In my short experience with Bass, I've only experienced Chromes and the Daddario EXL170 which sounded good and lasted longer than the current strings on the Ray34. I'm seeking round wound strings 45 to 100 or, 45 to 105. Something that feels smoother than the factory strings (no flat or half wound), and something that will last longer.

Any suggestions recommendations is appreciated.

2. What is the sound you are looking for?

3. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Dunlop Super Bright 40-100 sound pretty great on mine.

fakeneckplate'65 and Badwater like this.
  4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks, I'm looking for a regular wound rounds sound with a lot of dynamics, not too bright, and not too muddy. I have another bass with flats, so I have that covered. For the Ray34, I'm seeking a growl and mid range tone with some clarity on the top end.

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks, do they last longer than the ernie ball factory strings?

6. DR SS Lo-Riders.

BrentSimons and Badwater like this.
  7. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Everything lasts longer than Ernie Ball strings. I like the way they sound but they go dead so quickly.

Dunlop Super Brights seem to last a good while and the sound profile is a good match for a Ray.

Badwater likes this.
  8. Rotosound Swing Bass 66 have a nice growly midrange and settle nicely IMO, but they are initially bright, and pretty rough on your fingers. GHS Boomers also growl nicely, and feel smoother than Rotos. A bit cheaper, too.

craigie and Badwater like this.
  9. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Um.....why don't you start with these? They are very popular, available everywhere, and IMO have a very neutral character and balanced sound.

Badwater likes this.
  10. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I was strongly considering it. They are a great value for the money.

11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

Thanks, I'll check them out.

12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks. I'll be using it for recording, so the string noise is a factor.

13. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    The 66's are iconic. Buy a set of you don't have one. You don't have to keep them on but you have to experience them.

Badwater likes this.
  14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks, I've seen them is stainless steel. It will be on my list.

15. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I'll also shove strings into an open bottle of isopropyl alcohol an leave the silks out. I do this when I remove remove strings to clean and oil the fretboard, Polish frets etc. Also a good trick for when you're swapping in a set that's been stored for a while. You can also try Marlowe dk's "slap the poopie out of them" trick.

Badwater likes this.
  16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks for the tip on string cleaning.

17. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I just bought the same brand & gauge for my MM Stingray Classic & they sound so much better than the Labella nickel roundwounds I had prior. Not sure about life expectancy, but, so far, so good.

Badwater likes this.
  18. Growl and midrange with a bit up top, I'd go with the Marcus Miller signature Dunlop Super Brights. Similar to Roto 66's, but last longer.

Zero Cash and Badwater like this.
  19. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks, they seem to be popular.

eriky4003 likes this.
  20. Badwater,
    Other folks have mentioned Dunlop Super Brights but these ones have Marcus Miller's signature on them. A different string from the regular Dunlop Super Brights. They will cost a little more, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Badwater likes this.