1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High Quality Neve 1073 preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Endbass, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Endbass

Endbass

May 31, 2009
    I'm looking for high quality preamp/DI in pedal form, based on the Neve 1073. Like the API Tranzformer LX pedal, but then the Neve version. I know about the JHS Colour Box, but I'm looking for something of higher quality. Does it exist? Or does anyone know someone who could build that for me?

Hubriser and alecduncan like this.
  2. Not sure about pedals but you could get a radial lunchbox with a neve 500 series module and have small footprint

sowilson and Hubriser like this.
  3. Hubriser

Hubriser Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Boston MA
    Studio one by broughton audio, it's a custom build not sure if Josh is still building them but you can PM him @Azure Skies , awesome guy & great builder. I was on the same quest and the connected with him, and that led to the studio one which has a neve 1073 gain control which gives that beautiful neve color. It also has an eq and hi pass & low pass filter, preamp w/ di it's easily my favorite pedal since I got it last year. There's a handful out here on TB occasionally pop up in the classifieds

Here's the broughton super thread lot of great pedals here:
    Broughton Audio Super Thread

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Peoples opinions of the JHS aside are you sure the Colour Box isn't high quality?

alecduncan and Matt Dean like this.
  5. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I played one that a friend had and was blown away, sounds killer on bass. I especially liked it purely DI'd straight into the interface, no amps.

I'm really interested in the Studio One and plan to get one if money allows and if it pops up used. If Broughton starts making them standard I'll def buy one new. Not only do I fall into the "not a huge fan of JHS" camp, but I definitely want to support Broughton as he seems to have really had a stellar relationship with talkbass and you guys keep talking his stuff up ;)

DirtyDuke, jbybj and Hubriser like this.
  6. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Finding a Broughton Studio One would be a great choice. The colourbox has had a lot of reports of issues with popping switches that cannot go away no matter how you power it.

Hubriser likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Studio One without a doubt. The colourbox pops like a mo.

DirtyDuke and Hubriser like this.
  8. I peeked under the hood of a colourbox and was not imporessed, for about the same money Josh Broughton does quality work and uses quality parts.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Pbassmanca and Hubriser like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Josh is definitely a great guy.

10. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Although it's marketed as an EQ pedal, what about Tech 21's Q Strip?

Hubriser likes this.
  11. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    I recently got a Studio One here in the classifieds and tried it out on a travel gig with just myself and a piano player. I thought it sounded fantastic, took no time at all to dial it in for the room, the sound guy was happy that it had a balanced out, I was happy I didn’t have to pass my signal through one of his not-so-great DI boxes. It’s the perfect thing to throw in a gig bag, get on a plane and not have to worry about what rig you’re showing up to. I can’t wait to try it in a recording situation, I’ve got a mandocello that is getting a pickup installed. Can’t wait to see how it’ll sound with the pedal. If you can get your hands on the Broughton, I highly recommend it.

12. +1 to all the Broughton commentage.

No personal experience with it, but ...

There's at least one TBer who wants to fill his with fecal material and send it back to JHS, and I've read a fair amount of Colourful language about it from others as well.

13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you want vintage neve, consider this one: 1073DMP

gsquare and ddnidd1 like this.
  14. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    It might look a little pricey, but I bet this one is another winner!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  15. Endbass

Endbass

May 31, 2009
    Thanks guys for all the recommendations!! The Broughton Studio One does look really interesting, I will send Josh a message.

I never tried the JHS Colour Box myself, I only read reviews. It seems like a decent option too, I was just curious to see if there was more choice.

I'm a bit surprised there is not a lot to choose from when looking for high quality preamps with decent EQ and DI in pedal format (say price range $500-1000). With so many of us doing in ear gigs nowadays I'd say this is an essential piece of gear for a working bassist, maybe even more important than an amp (which often only functions as monitor, if it's even there). Must be a huge market for preamps like that, but there is not that much too choose from.

16. Hubriser

Hubriser Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Boston MA
    Well there's definitely some high quality pedal preamps in that price range the noble and Shaw TIP come to mind. Both are excellent tube preamps, there's less options when you're specifically looking for a neve sounding preamp pedal.
    In the $500-1000 price range you can also pick up a used Great River me-1nv it's not in pedal form but it's one of the best neve inspired preamps on the market and capable of a ton of color

Endbass and DirtyDuke like this.
  17. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    There's also the Bassics BPA-1, designed by Malcolm Toft of Trident fame. I think the API pedal was already mentioned. The downside of both is in limited adjustability compared to full-size rackmounted versions. There's been a few reviews of the API (including Bass Player mag), but nothing for the BPA-1 so far.

If it doesn't have to be a pedal, I would look at the Focusrite ISA 220. Neve designed pre, with EQ and full featured compressor in two rack spaces.

18. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    There's a review of the BPA-1 in this month's Sound on Sound magazine, copy here: Sound on Sound review the Bassics BPA-1 - Bassics

Looks interesting, I wonder how the individual foot switches for the EQ bands will work. No foot switch for the compressor.

19. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    That was quite an unflattering review! He went on-and-on about the background noise and then eluded to a poor application of the Lundahl transformer in the Colour Box, by making a comparison to the Cali76-TX use of a Lundahl transformer. He goes even further to diminishes the skill level of JHS by saying he is just a "stompbox builder vs studio equipment engineer". :facepalm::jawdrop: I am sure that JHS copied the original Neve circuit with the transformer, so the reviewer is essentially making a comment about the Neve design more so than JHS.

He then states, "...Bearing all this in mind, it’s not fair to make comparisons to other pedals as there really isn’t anything else out there that does what this pedal does." Then he continues to make comparisons to other pedals again when he is suggesting upgrades to a V2 version of the Colour Box.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

At the end he gives the pedal 4 out of 5 stars.:roflmao::roflmao:

-Frank

Blu bro likes this.