Highest vocals ever??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    some of the highest vocals... not songs but bands

judas priest
    mindless self indulgence
    cradle of filth

2. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    Steelheart
    Stryper
    Judas Preist

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That horrible Sebastian Bach made some big claims about singing higher than any other heavy metal singer.

4. Mariah Carey goes all dog whistle at least 3 times on EVERY cut. It's more than enough to cancel out her extreme hotness.

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    +1

Surprised it wasn't mentioned sooner.

6. Let's not forget the incredible Phillip Bailey! An amazing vocalist in an amazing band. He can go as high as Carey (at least back in his day), and he has an applebag!!!

7. What about Minnie Riperton? DiDn't she have some ridiculous 7 octave range?

8. I mean, I wanna like her, and she's talented and all, but for crying out loud, STOP w/the freeking vocal gymnast/contortionist act. All dogs within 30 miles would agree.

9. Here:

10. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Yeah, Minnie Riperton, ca. 1975, "Loving You". Off the scale! Jeez....

12. Watch from about 3:10 on. Phillip Bailey is just SICK!!!

I'll add also that this is a live clip, and in 1997 when it was recorded, Bailey was 47. I'll bet a kidney that the dudes from Steelheart (whom I really like... Tangled in Reigns is a cool CD) or Nitro cannot hit the notes they used to anymore.

13. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Rob Halford "Run of the Mill" from the very early JP days.

14. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC

1:50 The aria popoli di tessaglia, the highest note written in all classical music. Yeah, Maria Carey can squeak out dog whistle stuff, but she can't do it with any volume (without a mic). Hearing this done live with no mic is intense.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I believe Georgia Brown has the current highest pitched voice within active singers.

16. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    if you manage to find the entire song "the way young lovers do", jeff buckley does an amazing thing with his voice, it's as if "corpus cristi carol" is low compared to that!

you can also listen to what does philip bailey the song "fantasy" on live versions.

"god" by prince has also some amazing pitches.

listen to Brett manning's demo on his site( he is a vocal coach), the dude is sick he can cover notes along 6 or 7 octaves I think, check him out on youtube too.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    For ridiculously high rock vocals, you can't top some of the early Rush records... especially songs like Anthem, Hemispheres, Freewill, and there's that one scream near the end of Cygnus X-1 that comes to mind.

Ozzy hit some insanely high notes on the early Sabbath records too... Hole In The Sky was always one of my favorites for high vocals.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Brian Johnson (ACDC) - Thunderstruck

Other than Brian, Rob Halford, and maybe a couple others, I hate high pitched male singers. Mainly because I can barely manage a high Bb ;)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021