1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hit Me with your Fav Dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zak TMD, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    TL/DR: Tell me your fav dirt pedals for bass with a brief why. I'm considering swapping out one or both of my current ones.

What I got:
    I have a Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian (sovtek, pre-civil war green muff clone) and a Smallsound/Bigsound Frik Mini (jfet overdrive)

Why change these?
    These pedals are great, but neither are quite hitting the sweet spots I'm looking for from.
    • The TFR is maybe too gritty, angular for what I'm thinking - I'm looking for a big buttery, saturated fuzz I think.
    • The SSBS mini handles low freq well, but maybe is just a tad more fuzzy than I want - my straight dirt is tricky because I'd like it to keep the lows pushing through, while sparking up the mids a bit.

What am I doing?
    Thing is my amp (Verellen Meatsmoke) has a great orange-ish overdriven channel all on it's own, so I'm looking for specific variations to hit the "clean" (70s SVT style) channel with. I don't want to override the character too much, but also want to get some solid grit as describe above on demand.

What you got?

BigCactus and VitoMB like this.
  2. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    As of late my fav dirt isn't a dirt pedal at all, but is the square wave on my EQD Data Corrupter. It's grainy and lush and meaty all at the same time. It just sounds so mean when I engage it. I'll put it a tiny touch of slapback delay on it and get this stadium filling drive that is just so satisfying.

mobeme23 and Zak TMD like this.
  3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Darkglass Microtubes X Ultra: I use this as my "amp" and it's great for getting Chris Squire/Geddy Lee tones.

Idiotbox Blower Box: Rat variant with an active EQ that I love at lower gains for a grindy/clanky tone and stacks nicely run into the Microtubes X for some thicker metal type of tone

John K Civil War Mini Big Muff: It's a big muff that loses no lows and sounds great at virtually any setting

4. My advice for you is either check out Fuzzrocious or Source Audio. IMHO @rratajski is the master of cooking up saturation that cuts through density and he can whip up something special just for you if you give him the right input.

Source Audio Aftershock or Ultrawave can give you the tools to design your own sound to support, blend perfectly or dominate any mix if you are brave enough to tackle the tools.

I have my collection of fuzz that I still love and use some simply for admittedly sentimental reasons others simply because I have them and like the sounds.

5. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Second rec for the Idiotbox Blower Box. Def gonna check

El_Charro and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    I keep gravitating towards the Fuzzrocious pedals. Friend was suggesting the Ram the Manparts, unfortunately it's discontinued and costs a bit more used.

rratajski likes this.
  7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If you like RTM, the drive/distortion sounds are in Playing Mantis. I'm available via email if you wanna talk more - [email protected].

Correlli, bassbrad and Zak TMD like this.
  8. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Yoooo whatup. Email inbound

rratajski likes this.
  9. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I love the Grey Stache! Although at the moment it’s not my favorite, my Malekko B:Assmaster is. But the Stache is second in line.

rratajski and Zak TMD like this.
  10. Reiner Gasoline. And of course the dirt that comes out of my Peavey MarkIV bass amp.

Fuzzbass and Zak TMD like this.
  11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Got to be my Joyo Orange Juice (seriously sized down clone of the now discontinued Tech 21 Oxford, which is an analog emulation of an Orange amp type preamp/drive, with simplified EQ controls compared to the original to accommodate it's miniature size) for all from low gain, somewhat grindy, tube like grid, to medium gain, really clanky and grinding, distortion, perfect for that JJ Burnel tone.

Currently I use it for the former, a low gain overdrive, contributing with some Orange-esque grind and tube like grid, mixed in parallel, and in about equal amounts, via one of my Boss LS-2 pedal form effect loops switch/mixer, with a Behringer BEQ700 Bass Graphic Equalizer (clone of Boss GEB-7), dialed in with some quite subtle EQ adjustments (basically just boosting the 120Hz, 400Hz and 800Hz band something like +2dB or so), for my main always on basic "clean" tone, which I guess could possibly, as one way to described it, be categorized as a somewhat more polite and polished/Hi-Fi take on JJ Burnel's tone.

And for high gain distortion it got to be my Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone.

Love that really raunchy fuzz-esque high gain distortion tones that you can get from Rat based pedals, and not just for bass, sounds awesome for guitar as well.

Currently I use the Black Rat in "Vintage", classic Rat, silicon, I think (or might be germanium), diode clipping mode, dialed in to a relatively high gain setting and a relatively dark tone, and mixed in parallel, via my other Boss LS-2, with another Orange Juice, set to a lower medium gain overdrive, stacked into a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, dialed in with a relatively low gain setting, the Orange Juice together with the relatively low gain setting preventing the Metal Zone getting into the fizzy territory that is infamous for, and giving it a slightly more crunchy/grindy character, together providing more top end to my high gain distortion tone, and with it's lower gain at the same time bringing more articulation and definition to it, though I plan to soon replace the Boss LS-2 for an EHX Switchblade Pro Deluxe to be able to blend in a slight bit of clean signal as well, to improve articulation and definition further.

Also planing on soon acquiring a Joyo Extreme Metal (EHX Metal Muff clone) to give it a shot to see if it can possibly replace the Orange Juice+Metal Zone combo side of my high gain distortion setup, even if I am actually really satisfied with my current high gain distortion tone, which if I should do an attempt at describing it would be something like: massively heavy, monstrously ballsy and sludgy, with a really raunchy character and a quite fuzz-esque and fairly gnarly quality.

For fuzz it's my Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2 clone, which again is a take on the legendary Univox Super Fuzz octave fuzz circuit), used in the mids heavy "Mode 1" and mixed with clean signal via the same Boss LS-2 that I use for my high gain distortion.

But while I think the Behringer Super Fuzz actually is a truly great sounding fuzz for bass, and not just for the ridiculously little money it goes for, I do ponder on weather at some point possibly replacing it for an Orange Fur Coat, which in my opinion sounds no short of amazing, and awesomely gnarly, for bass, and which is an octave fuzz as well, though unlike the Behringer (and the Boss it is a clone of), which as said is a modified take on the Univox Super Fuzz circuit, rather is a modified take on the Foxx Tone Machine, with an added level control for the fuzzy analog octave up signal, which turned down makes the Fur Coat sound even more gnarly than it already is and less synth-ish than the Behringer Super Fuzz, which produce more of a somewhat synth-ish and spluttering-ish, really crispy kind of fuzz tone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  12. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    Sansamp YYZ is simply great. Less imprinted tone than regular sansamps or darkglass. Blend with low passed clean that makes the sound coherent and not sticking out like many clean blends. And great drive character from biting grit to fuzzy wool due to tight switch

dbljointedthumb and Zak TMD like this.
  13. etnoo

etnoo

Aug 28, 2018
    Poland
    Boss BB-1x works for me. It keeps lows very good, has an effective 2-band EQ and I can dial in amount of dirt as I want (simple blend+drive) without being harsh or (over)fuzzed(?) :wacky: The dirt itself is very organic, warm and full.
    I'm using SVT-3PRO + SVT610HLF so BB-1x only serves me to complement the overall sound and add even more natural tube like saturation.

Zak TMD likes this.
  14. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Dirt is probably the most subjective "effect" out there IMHO. That being said, Tech 21 DP-3X is my fav.

Like anything else, it's not for everybody, but I love it. And being a Tech 21 product, the quality and support (if you were you to need it) are 2nd to none.

Zak TMD likes this.
  15. VitoMB

VitoMB

Sep 28, 2019
    Quebec, Canada
    I have the same exact dirt pedals than the OP. First I use an always on Barbershop. It is my magic weapons to add some harmonics to fuller the tone. As for OD, I use either BS/SS Mini or Fifth Gear depending if I play the Fender or Ric. On the fuzz side, I have a TFR and BS/SS TAFM. I have done a/b with a few other pedals before ending with it. However, all of them are going through a Wounded Paw Blender to keep the low end. This last is maybe the missing piece for the OP. I would say that Wren&Cuff and BS/SS are making outstanding dirt pedals. IMHO.

Zak TMD likes this.
  16. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    "Dirt" encompasses overdrive, distortion, and/or fuzz.
    Which one do you want and we'll go from there.
    Otherwise, all around champ: Damnation Audio MBD-1.

VitoMB likes this.
  17. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I just added a Li'l Fella from Fuzzrocious. I don't know if it does or doesn't check the box of "big buttery saturated fuzz" but to my ears it sounds really great as an overdrive. It will also go from OD to very distorted / fuzzy and it has a nice gate feature. Check out the @Andy westwood demos.

Andy westwood, rratajski and Zak TMD like this.
  18. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    mud-slinging.jpg

19. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    COF Effects Knightfall 66. I love it to bits.

Also, as far as fuzzes go, TeamAwesome Fuzz Machine. Light overdrive: Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop.

NoiseNinja, VitoMB and Zak TMD like this.
  20. With all of these boutique bass overdrive pedals, I can't find a pedal that works better for me than the Digitech Hardwire Tube overdrive. It's completely transparent and has very natural overdrive that works so well with my GK heads.

crapusername and Zak TMD like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021