1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Home amp in a pedal form... SCR-DI, Plex, what else?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    So, I need to downsize my home and get rid of my amp. I am looking for a pedal to use for practice with good headphones. So far I've been looking at the Ampeg SCR-DI and the GK Plex.

The SCR-DI seems great the but the Plex is GK and I'm playing on a GK amp with my band so might be more interesting to get my 'usual' sound... however it's over a 100 bucks more expensive.

Anyone tried/played/owned either or both? What are pros and cons? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

(Maybe this could have gone in the amps forum, but Effects has always been where I've been dwelling in the past years so... :) and a happy new year to everyone!)

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    SLO Surfer likes this.
  3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    If you are after a great headphone amp the SFX H-1 is second to none

Lebowsky and andronik like this.
  4. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    sfx! Always very much appreciated max's work. I missed that, and it does look awesome. Only downside (maybe?) is the lack of tone control, and it's still more expensive with import taxes than the SCR-DI.. but damn does it look awesome.

5. A Zoom B1on would probably suit your needs. Since you're used to using GK, you could use the GK amp sim in the pedal.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  6. For practice only, you might be better off with a vox amplug

7. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    going into the computer with a basic interface and a DAW program is a great way to practice and have a ton of versatility in sound and effects. I have my headphones on now and can create my own backing track or jam along with songs or youtube videos. I currently have a Presonis Audiobox into my PC and it came boxed with a more than adequate studio program for this purpose.

Lebowsky and Stumbo like this.
  8. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    For quick and simple use and play-along, I use Xvive Classic Rock headphone amp ($12). I like that it has its own internal rechargable battery (like a cell phone).
    Sometimes I use my Zoom MS-60B pedal and plug headphones in. Works great too and is simple to setup because I use rechargable batteries for it, but has to be combined with Xvive for play-along.

9. I just remembered hearing that you could plug headphones straight into a G&L L2000cos the preamp is so hot. I never tried it when I had one but just tried it on my NS and it worked. Also on my Godin nylon string. Its worth having a hot output active bass just for that reason!

BrentSimons and Ti-Ron like this.
  10. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Seriously?
    I know what I am doing tonight!
    Thanks for the tip!

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I use a Hotone Thunderbass mini head. It's really small and cool and it has a headphones out and a auxiliar in. And if you're tired of using headphones you can plug it to a cabinet and it's a great home practicing amp, not loud enough for a gig but can be used at bedroom volumes with no problem.
    Another pedal that works well as a headphone amp is the Mooer Radar, but it doesn't have a aux input.

12. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have the SCR-DI and am very happy with it. Have never tried the GK, but I do like most GK products I have tried. The Ampeg sounds great thru headphones, and it is my "always on" pedal through my rig. I like it that much. But get a wall wort for it, as it eats batteries...

basscapes likes this.
  13. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Really hard to go wrong with the Zoom B1on for the low price, and if that really floats your boat, you can step up to the B3n for under $200, though the list of modeled items in the B3n is not the same as the B1on (but sounds a LOT better IMO).

14. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I put a PLEX in the classifieds today if interested. I dig it for it's compressive ability to do a lot.

BrentSimons likes this.
  15. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Based on my research, those two are my favourites:
    Sfx H-1
    and
    Phil Jones Bass - Bass Buddy or Big Head, depends on which one would suite the most

Lebowsky likes this.
  16. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    But it is a top notch headphone amp. Makes you think how you play as it doesn't give you anywhere to hide!

Lebowsky likes this.
  17. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    :D

18. I'm using the Ampeg SCR-DI, and I like it a lot.

I use it for headphone/silent practice, recording direct and as one channel of my pedal board preamp.

The scrambler circuit isn't really the same as the separate pedal; it is more like a grit pedal that simulates more the effect of driving an amp to the edge (pushed SVT, perhaps?). At least, that's how I view it and use it.

Headphone amp is clean and powerful. Not an audiophile standard, but good, and loud (if you need volume)!

Lebowsky likes this.
  19. My coins to Palmer Pocket Amp Bass. It's amazing!

Lebowsky and ebozzz like this.
  20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I agree!