1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hot Hand USB - WORKS WITH IPAD!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gadgetjunky, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Sorry, I already started a HH-USB thread, but this is so BIG I think it needs a new thread with a title that will grab more people.

It works with the iPad and the USB camera connection and running Midi Designer. Just plug it in and "learn" the controls you want to use while moving the HH in the axis you want it to learn!!

CHECK IT OUT!!
    Hot Hand USB + Ipad

I was hoping for this so I wouldn't need to use a laptop live, but you can't use the special SA software(edit: you can save SA software setting on the stick!). BUT, you should be able to recreate the same functions AND MORE in Midi Designer!!!!

I'm so pumped right now. This is like a dream come true.

2. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    ok, this just keeps getting better. You can run the HH-USB and a uSB midi adapter off the ipad camera connector without a powered hub, just a hub! And Jesse just told me you can make all your settings on the PC software, then BURN them to the stick, so it holds all its settings!! WOW

[​IMG]

3. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    How do you plan to implement this into your live playing?

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    +1.

5. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    This replaces the HH3. Now I can control any parameter that has a CC assigned to it instead of just the drive on the distortions across all 4 midi controlled pedals all at once or in any combination. I can also have the Y and Z axes I've been wanting to use on my headstock setup. So image modulating with the neck up and down like in my videos, but when you surg push the neck forwards or backwards, you can have some pitch bends or anything else happening along with the up and down movement.

And once you can pipe the Hot Hand into Midi Designer you can link to as many controls as you want and have them turn on/off per presets controlled by a midi foot controller.

Lighting. Think about a moving head spot-light fixture tracking and mirroring the movements of the guitar neck. Or lights erupting when you bring the neck to certain positions.

My mind is racing with ideas because the fact that it works with Midi Designer on the ipad make it a simple, reliable setup that has unlimited possibilities. The question becomes "what can't I do".

I really wanted a Midi-Exp, but this is so much more evloved.

Give me a little time and I will put a video up showing you more of what is possible. I have a music video shoot this weekend and a couple gigs next weekend so I'm not sure how much time I will have. But as pumped as I am, I could see me up all night programming stuff.

OH, AND IT's ALL DIGITAL, not converting to anolog then back to digital mumbo-jumbo!!

6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    ok, so after playing with the software and burning presets to the stick I'm finding serious benefits to this over a HH3. You can control the ramp which is how quickly the axis moves, not you, you can move fast but you can set the ramp to move at a set rate.

So I'm using this with an ipad, but because it sends midi singals right out of the stick I'd like to see a USB dock with a midi out. That way I could inject these HH signals into my midi chain. Even better, a midi foot controller with a midi-USB port. I think those options would appeal to more people here. You setup how it works on the PC with the GUI, burn to the stick then plug it into your rig.

7. somberabyss

somberabyss

Mar 24, 2013
    I am also going to try this. I have ordered a hot hand usb a few days ago and plan on trying it out with my ipad 3. I am wondering if this will work with two hot hands, controlling the same parameter (to allow faster bass wobbling, for exmaple) and also if it will work with different parameters (with one ipad).

8. Subscribbled.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sounds cool all these newfangled ideas you young folks have.

10. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think I am going to implant a USB port in my lead vocalist's head. Perhaps the hot hand can keep her on tempo.

11. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    That's pretty rad.

12. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    Halfjackson just might have my most favorite avatar of all time. Well, after the tri-hot hand Gad-Junk, of course. ;)

13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    That is a good one.

It's been a busy weekend, not much more add to my testing of this HH-USB, but after the hopeless search for a Midi-Exp, I almost can't believe I have this technology sitting here on my table.

On the "to do" list:

1. Get a USB Type A to Type B adapter to see if it works on the USB-midi port of my iDock.

2. Looking at other USB/Midi gizmos like the iConnect as a possible gizmo to inject the HH-USB into my midi stuff without the ipad.

3. Explore the triggers in the SA hhusb.exe software.

4. Hook up my DMX lighting board and start controlling some lights.

5. Wonder how the SB2 midi connnector is coming along.

14. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Hmm, 2-HH-USB's plugging into the ipad?? Not sure, maybe. But on HH-USB can send 10 different midi signals in all types of formats to different midi channels for each of those 10 sends. THAT's the amazing part. Most midi expression pedals are locked into ONE midi channel. I think I am just on the surface of even more amazing AH-HA moments with this gizmo.

But I use the HH-USB on the headstock and I haven't decided if I want to use the HH2 or HH3 on my hand.

I will say that you many want to play with the HH-USB and the hhusb.exe software. I currenlty have the stick programmed to:

X - in the middle and it moves up and down from there.
    Y - 0-128 when I tip up the guitar neck
    Z - a sloooow move from 0-128 when I lift the bass in the arc that is forward perpendicular to my body then over my head facing the bass behind me.

So there are very interesting possibilities there, WAYYY more than with a HH3 trying to work 2 axes as the same time.

And Midi Designer has capabilites like the triggers where you can activated presets (program changes) when you reach a certain CC range, but the triggers can make that sticky.

Basically, anything you can imagine doing, you can with the HH-USB+ipad+Midi Designer. Just sayin.

15. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Well, I'd be a big fat liar if I said that that didn't bring a smile to my face. Thanks, man!:)

16. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    I got so inspired that I actually dialed up Tom crooning on YouTube. Scott Bradley, who did the music on all 113 of the original MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons, is an underappreciated musical genius. Mel Blanc gave us Bugs Bunny and friends, but Scott Bradley was critical to giving life to T&J as they generally did not speak.

It may not be good for Source Audio's leader to expose passion for T&G on TB! :bag:

17. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Haha...awesome! I always loved the music and the use of the music in a lot of those old cartoons. Man...we are way off topic! Well, let me just share this before we get back on track here.

Many favorites but this was one was always a strong memory.

18. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    T&J were the last grasp at the silent film era. Music was so important and set the mood and even added some dialog. My 5 & 8 year olds love T&J now, amazing how timeless they are.

19. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Hey, off topic, but a bump can't hurt ;)

20. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    bookmarked