1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get someone fired?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    They is a person at work that is very ineffective. Usually it does not bother me but his actions affect my work....and the rest of the company. I have spoke to others at the company about him and they all agree. I have even spoken to some of the bosses about him and I am dismissed. I am a compassionate guy and pretty forgiving but he is really screwing it up for the rest of us.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I read the first line and thought you were in my office. Whew, dodged a bullet there.

3. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Be careful! You've brought it to the attention of the boses and that's all you can do. If you persist, it could get you in trouble. I've seen it happen that way before.

Being ineffective is one thing. Actively trying to get a coworker fired is something that HR will take a dim view of.

4. I'd guess it's up to the bosses to talk to him about his performance, officially at least, but have you or your coworkers broached the subject with him? Maybe it would help him improve and end up strengthening the team as a whole, rather than trying to get the guy sacked which could have a really bad aftermath, especially if your plan doesn't work. You may have already tried this though, in which case, ignore me.

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have seriously considered sitting one of the bosses down with a group and discussing the problem. I think that other people have suffered in silence and not brought it to the bosses attention. Maybe if the boss sees that lots of people are upset that something will happen.

BTW, I don't plan on doing anything stupid like sabotaging the firm and pining the blame on him. I would prefer to keep my job.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Have your coworkers see the boss(es) too. One person complaining is one thing, but if he can see that the guy is a burden to the whole work cell, it will help your case.

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    L-A, your avatar... You explosive diarrhea Mark Wilson?

8. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Start an email account without your name, Gmail or Yahoo or some other free service. Send you boss an email that says you are an employee of the company, you wish to remain anonymous, and that John Doe's work ethic/capability to preform his job should be assessed.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hide some cocaine in his desk, and then rat him out :bag:

10. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Even better, wait till he goes to lunch and pull one of those
    'Hi, it's Xtreo - I am finally coming out of the closet' style deals
    on him. Perhaps something like 'I have become a Neo-
    Nazi' or 'I am a Teenage Vampire' or something appropriately idiotic.

Disclaimer:
    Don't do this at home. Closed course. Professional Driver. The
    Hot Coffee is HOT. And John Turner didn't read the whole thread.

11. If the 'bosses' don't care, I'd say you either deal with it or leave the job
    maybe you can talk to the employee in question, maybe you have already...

Or, start your own business, be the Boss and hire/fire as you please

other than that, IconBasser has the right idea :)

12. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    If the boss can't see the drain this other person is causing, but can see that you are now a negative person who might be draining morale, it might be that you've already started getting yourself fired.

Where the other person's actions effect your work, yes, talk to them privately and ask them to modify those bits that effect you. But don't try lynching them. Just be the most hassle-free guy you can be. You've said your piece, don't say it again or you'll become the problem.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Set him up so he gets caught doing the owner or CEO's daughter.

14. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Photoshop him eating a bald eagle.

bolophonic likes this.
  15. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Something like that. Some of the precision of my statement went away when I combined SMS texting with mechanical typewriters.

16. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Methinks a combination of the two would be effective. Does your boss have a pet bald eagle you could con this employee into simultaneously porking and eating?

17. good thing...these days it is not uncommon for managers to keep at least one guy like that to blame when something goes wrong....i have learned the hard way that being competent,on time,and reliable can be viewed as threatening to some bosses,and if it came to a showdown the incompetent would be the guy they keep.......before you make any decisions you can't take back make sure you have a firm read on the company dynamic

18. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I had two people complain to me about him today. Like I can do anything. Also I overheard others complaining about him.

The previous guy in his position was great. There were much fewer problems and issues got resolved. The previous guy reluctantly left because he had such a terrible commute, not because of the company.

I certainly don't understand the company's dynamic but have know people to get let go and they weren't a 1/10 of the problem that this guy is.

Something is going to have to be done and soon.

19. PurpleGiant

PurpleGiant

Apr 1, 2010
    Salem,OR
    place an opened bottle of liquor in his/her locker,bag, whatever they have. then get someone else to complain to the boss about so and so's drinking on the job. Why don't you stop complaining about this other person and do your own g0ddamn job. If he/she is a complete moron, then so be it. You're doing your job just fine until the jackass showed up. Think of that as job security if nothing else.

20. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    How can I do my job when he is the IT guy and the servers go down? Or the emaiil system hangs? Or I find 3 days worth of work gone and my final report is due at noon? I could go on and on.