How good is Nikki Sixx as a bassplayer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jul 5, 2006.

1. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    As a bassist? He's boring.
    As a rock star? He rules.
    He probably has more money than anyone on talkbass and would be laughing hysterically right now if he new this thread were going. Sometimes it's about the money and sometime's it's about the music. Sometimes you get lucky and do both. To get that many people to buy your albums, he must have done something right.

For the record, the first time I picked up a bass Motley Crue was one of my favorite bands. I loved playing "Shout at the Devil". Now, I love playing Botesinni and Bach on my upright and Jamerson on my six string. Anyway I slice it Nikki Sixx figures into my playing...if only just a little.
    :bassist:

deernaes and albass69 like this.
  2. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Stop and think for a second... what makes a good bass player?

Someone that enhances your experience with the band. If hearing Michael Manring's riffs does it for you while he wears a sweater vest... or Sixx's simplistic basslines but monsterous stage presence (almost Simmons, but not quite). Doesn't matter if you're "decended from the almighty," but if you look like Paul McCartney (circa 1964) onstage with Pantera, you won't last a minute.

If you want technical talent, why aren't you at the symphony? I want to stand on my seat, and yell at the top of my lungs..

Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings
    twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
    Just call my name, `cause I'll hear you scream
    Master
    Master

Sorry Jaco, Rocco, James, Bootsy, but you couldn't replace Burton or Newsted on their stage.

albass69 and Ducktor like this.
  3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldnt'a said it better.

Nikki was perfect for Crue. He might suck in any other situation. Bootsy would probably suck in Crue.

ppiluk and albass69 like this.
  4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    well-said man. cliff burton, nikki sixx, billy sheehan,tetsu and flea are the reasons i play bass.

5. Even though I've somewhat moved on from Motley Crue (and Nikki Sixx) I can't rag on them. They were one of my favorite bands, and like alot of others have mentioned, a big reason I play bass today. I used to love rockin out to the Crue, and GNR for that matter. Duff Mckagen ain't no bass scientist, but he fit the band and he made me want to rock.

So I tip my hat to Nikki Sixx........thanx for the years! :bassist:

albass69 likes this.
  6. I liked Duff much more than I liked Nikki Sixx just because I liked his style, and I could hear him - I like bassists that don't follow the guitars too much..

DeltaDelta and tyohars like this.
  7. It's funny cause those 2 guys were my favorites. I still keep up on whatever they're doing, just for old times sake. In fact I saw both of em in concert last summer. Motley Crue and Velvet Revolver. (Not at the same show)

8. Sorry boys - I'm in a totally different orbit here.:eyebrow:

So far as I'm concerned, "hair metal" always has always been and always will be a joke, perfectly personified by "This is Spinal Tap".
    :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:

Money and album sales are, IMHO, completely irrelevant, Several hundred million flies eat cow dung everyday, but it's still no recommendation as far as I'm concerned.

All with great respect and IMHO, obviously.:D :D :D :D

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good one...I usually say 'McDonald's has sold gozillions of burgers & that doesn't mean they're good (or good for you)'.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What's sad is they could replace Sixx on his recordings.

Someone earlier asked, "What's a good bassist"?
    FME, a big part is someone that can be more than a one-trick pony...& that's just a start.

This thread didn't ask if Sixx is a good bass player for the Crue...but he's been on the cover of Bass Player so I guess that's that.
    ;)

11. Uhh, have you seen Bootsy on stage? Thats the epitome of stage prescence to me. He's had big hair, wears shiny sequened outfits, and has played metal with Praxis. While I would prefer not to see him take Burton, Newsted or Sixx's spot, I think he could handle the gig.

12. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    As a bassist...anybody could replace him in Crue.
    As a song writer for them he’s irreplaceable.

13. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    right on. but i wonder how he came up w those songs neways...if im a bassist and i wrote a song itd prolly be kinda bass-oriented

and to the who said, anyone can replace nikki sixx then the same can be said that any good bassist can replace cliff burton, flea etc.

Rhcp and metallica stuff arent that hard to play tbh

14. Well the fact that he is not much of a bass player is probably why his songwriting is not bass-centric.

I am a bass player - and when I try to write songs, I focus on the hook. It is not often that I rely on the bass for that hook. More often then not, since I am trying to write for the same people who like things like The Jam, R.E.M., XTC (the 80's alt/pop/rock thing), the hooks are more often in the vocals and guitars with really fun, groovy and interesting rhythm section supporting them.

Here is a sample of a pop-ditty I put together that has a cool bass part, but has it's hook in the synth...

Just because your primary instrument is bass does not automatically mean your songwriting has to focus on the bass.

15. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Success is an interesting, and elusive kind of thing.

Nikki Sixx is not a great bass player like Nathan East, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke, but I also wonder if he has, by this time, now sold more records with M.C. than all those other guys put together.

That's not to say the "other" listed guys are not successful, but Sixx has attained a level of success that they haven't. Life is strange. Undoubtedly the human ear appreciates virtuouso talent, but I think it appreciates a catchy song and fluffed image even more.

16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    true that....actually success is largely based on luck too. Nikki sixx and co would prolly be starved to death on the streets or living in a rut if they hadnt been discovered by a label.

While I agree some people enjoy wooten,jaco stuff...most of the uneducated public would prolly be bored to death.

17. BigDaddyB

BigDaddyB

Feb 27, 2003
    West Monroe, LA
    Endorsing Artist Regenerate Guitar Works and Honey Badger Pickups
    Let's not confuse product and art here folks.

MC, Kiss, etc. are a product. Tide is a product. Nikki Sixx is no more an artist than the guy who came up with Tide's last 'new and improved' formula.

East, Hamm, Wooten, Clarke, etc. are artists. These guys would be bassists if they were broke. They'd pursue the boundaries of the bass even if they never got noticed for it.

Mentioning Sixx, Simmons, etc in the same post with East, Wooten, etc is nauseating.

brianb

joebar likes this.
  18. WesC

WesC

Nov 18, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bands like Motley Crue didn't achieve success--it was purchased for them by the record companies in millions of dollars in promotion. Sad truth is the radio-listening, CD-gobbling public will buy whatever the recording industry is selling.

I learned 20 years ago that record sales and fame are no measure of success. Music is an art form, not a financial system. Those who measure success that way are entirely missing the point.

And ***, Nikki Sixx was "in the pocket"??? WHAT POCKET? There IS no pocket in metal. ;)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    I would also estimate that Nathan East has played on more hits(i.e. sold more records) than Sixx by a mile...if that kinda measurement of success floats yer boat.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thinking back-
    MTV helped, too. Hell, I recall watching MC's vids just for the hot chicks...
    ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021