How good is Nikki Sixx as a bassplayer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jul 5, 2006.

1. D.E.C.

D.E.C.

Mar 20, 2006
    Love him or hate him, you have to respect what Nikki has accomplished. IMHO, he is extremely talented. I agree with Dannoman completely. I happen to love the Crue. I saw them recently and was blown away. (For the record, I'm 42 and not a newbie) People have to realize that not everyone can be Jaco or Wooten, nor does everyone want to be. Nikki found his niche and has made the most of it, and he has the fame and fortune to prove it.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  2. Absolutely.

I saw my old post and didn’t like it to much on here.
    If he’s making the band sound good, then he’s doing his job:)

3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Nikki is successful and isn't that what we all aspire to be? Chicks follow the Crue, guys follow chicks, shows sold out, money is made. The front row of women at a Crue concert is stacked !!!! nuff said

danesdad likes this.
  4. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Love Crue...what Nikki lacks in talent he makes up for with attitude...
    Rock on.

5. I would challenge that. Bootsy is capable of much more than being pigeon holed into one style of music. The bass lines in most Motley Crüe songs are far from complex.

I am not a Bootsy fanboy but he is several levels better than Nikki.

tindrum and GregC like this.
  6. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH

Nikki moved to LA without knowing how to play......Playing skills aside. dude had balls and determination

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Good enough to to be a millionaire

8. This type of thread always gives ya the herps.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. Nikki did what most did in hair metal bands you rode the thunder that was the kick drum with not much room for much else sure there were some who broke from that mold but not many.
    When he branch out on his own with the 58 band project he was writing some creatively different music more of an Alt style

10. this gets funky

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Every time Coldplay's biggest hit plays on the radio, Joe gets a paycheck.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

To answer the OP's question, I'd have to say yes. Many on this forum, and in the amateur, semi and pro level would probably say so too. IF it's Nikki's playing on those recordings and in the videos and the numerous onstage performances in front of tens of thousands of fans, I'd say he was good enough to be smart enough to play JUST WHAT made a particular song appeal to a large swath of the public.

We can debate the "marketing" or because the band had some 'inside track' or what ever. It's irrelevant really. WE are mostly here, on the outside looking in.

Just USE the musical info available and make the most of your experiences. Don't quibble about how another may have achieved success, try & ask them instead, learn from the info we have. Get as close to the successful people and their work ethic as you can, that's where you'll learn.

descendent22 likes this.
  13. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    He’s more of a song writer and great lyricist. His bass playing is nothing special but as a “ rock n roll “ bass player he gets the job done. Personally I think Motley Crue has some cool songs. Vince Neil is just ABSOLUTELY awful. Less is more. Don’t get me wrong,if you can have chops in many different forms and techniques that’s great. Some people are about the song, rockin out and just having a good time. Like Nikki, he had a vision and he’s a more recognized,successful musican then most of us on here. The fact that we’re sharing thoughts,facts and opinions along with comparisons on him says a lot about him as a bassist in general

14. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools

Sep 18, 2007
    I have nothing bad to say about Nikki but I think he would truly be a legend if he could convince Vince to have one salad a day and to do some cardio. The man needs some help.

descendent22 likes this.
  15. zpbass1

zpbass1

Mar 28, 2019
    HE plays for the song, he is a songwriter first. He gets a great tone , gets the right bass line for that tune and rocks it out.....What else do you need? Chromatic Tritone 2-5 substitution bass lines in "Girls, Girls, Girls ?

tfer and descendent22 like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021