How many effects do you use(if any)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Jun 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I was just curious how many effects some of you use and what they are or if you don't use any at all?

And if you do use effects, are they pedals? Put on afterwards in a DAW? or maybe just built in gain or reverb on your amp?

I have a cheep multi-effects pedal (Zoom B1 Four) that allows up to 5 effects and I always end up maxing it out when I get playing with it.

Just curious

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    None. I sold my Zoom B1 recently because it
    did not get used on gigs.

Peter Torning and sonojono like this.
  3. I have 8 on my board.
    Never use over 2 at a time.

Grizelda100 and HolmeBass like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Three or four. Comp, octaves, dirt, dirt.

If you really want some data a poll would be easy to add.

5. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I could do a poll but there are just so many different kinds of similar effects. There's like a dozen different kinds of distortion alone so I thought it would be better to just ask and have people list their most used effects

6. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    what are you're most used effects?

ezra1 likes this.
  7. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    to be fair, I wouldn't use the B1 four on a gig either. more of a toy. would need something higher quality to gig or record with

JonathanPDX likes this.
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Octave, fuzz, distortion, filter, multi modulation, preamp. I'm clean and dry probably 75% of the time. But I'll turn it all on and get weird if it works. The fun is in the combinations. Distortion and filter is great. Octave, fuzz, phaser is great. Add filter for extra fun. All combinations work.

9. I’m anywhere between 0 and 2. Sometimes just straight to amp or DI. Sometimes a preamp/DI. Sometimes a compressor. Whatever I’m feeling at the moment, really.

I second the addition of a poll.

10. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I'm pretty much on the same page. I like the experimentation even it doesn't end up being useful. Personally I like using an octave effect and setting it only a 5th lower or higher

11. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Octave and volume swell. All of the other pedals I have used or added temporarily never get used because they make it less bassey.

12. When I was in a 3 piece and really filled in sound, I used a bunch. My needs are simpler now and usually don't run more than a few at a time. Compressor and octave are the most commonly used.

I haven't owned a B1-4 specifically, but a B3 (previous gen zoom) payed for plenty of other gear as my lone preamp/ effects. It'll do a job (especially live), if you figure it out and let it.

LowActionHero, BassToGoGo and neuman like this.
  13. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    All of them, over a hundred. 2-18 at a time. Mostly I use tone shapers like preamps, filters, comps, harmonic enhancers, and also dirt, overdrive, distortion, fuzz, square wavers, and then plenty of envelope triggered stuff like filters, envelope phasers and flangers, also lots of modulation, phasers, tremolo, flangers, chorus and vibrato, and wah wahs, and I really love sub octave and pitch devices, also synths, all manner of synths, analog, digital, from PLL’s to Future Impact, and let’s not forget loopers, feedback loopers and sustaining granular loopers like a Freeze, and delays, especially modulated delays, and reverbs too. Bit crushers are cool, but I don’t use them much.

14. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I find I to noisy no matter what I do

15. Ahh. See if you can't find some ZNR settings. The noise gate on my B3 was great, perhaps the B1-4s isn't as good.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Zero.

My guitar rig is a different story. Down to about six pedals on that one.

Liam Wald, OregonJim and mike57 like this.
  17. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    All of them.

knumbskull likes this.
  18. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I use ZNR when I can but all that does is gate the noise when you're not playing. the signal is still noisy

19. groovepump

groovepump

Aug 3, 2020
    I don't use or own "effects". I'm not a studio bassist. I arrive at the gig, take maybe a full 5 seconds to adjust /EQ my sound, depending on my mood, and play. No one has ever complained about my sound. And I save a lot of money NOT buying pedals and effects that I don't need.

20. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    none but i recently brought a spark practice amp which has an app with a huge amount of effects and different amps so been experimenting with some of them and might raid the family music stores effects pedals to experiment a bit more

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.