How many times have you been married?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    1, 15 years last November. But we were in our mid-30s when we tied the knot, so I tell people we skipped the first marriage and went straight to the second!

the harp unstrung, JRA, GregC and 2 others like this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    three times, and the third time really IS the charm. this one has lasted longer than both the other marriages combined by over three times :)

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'm still in marriage #1.

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were I would bet some enormous wager that that number never goes above 1 no matter how long I live.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is my second and final marriage.

I call my first one the "dress rehearsal". :wacky:

The first one had an affair with my drummer. She broke up a marriage and a rhythm section at the same time. I miss the drummer. Dude could play.

This one is a keeper. She's my best friend by far. I love hanging out with her. She can eat hotter food than I can and once drank me under a table. :D Seriously, she's the one. I remember the first time I saw her like it was yesterday. I didn't know she would be my wife, but I knew immediately she would be involved in my life somehow and that I had to know her. The rest of her friends were all dolled up and she had her hair down and was rocking jeans and a Mt.Dew T-shirt. One of the worst shows I ever played. Rather than concentrating on playing and singing I was too busy tracking her movements throughout the room.

When I asked her out her first response was "Don't get me wrong, yer pretty to look at. But musicians? Eeeeew."

It took me weeks of wearing her down.

September will be ten years and two kids in. I'm in love with all three of them. To this day, if she is walking toward me from across a room, and she smiles at me, I'm done. I can't even play cool. Wouldn't change a thing. It was a wild ride getting here, but I'm right where I need to be.

Edit: Apologies for my earlier graphic description of the circumstances. I've been here long enough that I shoulda known better. :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I’m a polygamist. I’m married to the sea and I’m married to the idea of going to a Chinese buffet for lunch!

6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Just once, and our 30th coming up this year. We definitely have the "team mentality" going. I wanted to get it right the first time, so I "practiced" quite a bit first.....LOL.

the harp unstrung and JRA like this.
  7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    3 times married and divorced: one, no harm no foul; two, love of my life, procreated a son; three, 23 years, miss her every now and again. Much happier now

JRA likes this.
  8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Current Age >= 6 (a+b) + 18

9. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I marry the kick drum to the bass guitar every time I do a mix.
    It brings tears to my eyes. :)...

StyleOverShow, Pug the Pig and JRA like this.
  10. The divorce rate in the USA is 50%. After reading this thread, it seems the divorce rate is much lower with us bass players. It appears we are more stable than the rest of the population. Not sure why that is.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  11. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Read: "Comfortable in a supporting role." :D

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    3rd time is a charm, going on 30 years.
    It helped that we have the same family structure, sibling count, New Orleans background(I was in a competing band, she was light babe for a band that went on to get signed with Atlantic for a few years), her brother is my age and a bass player, we met at one of my band gigs and I had pictures of my 2 sons on my amp(was really sick of groupies, unstable women, the whole game thing). I figured if pics of my sons didn't run 'em off they might be worth talking to.
    There exists on TB a thread about bassists being the most stable in bands.

13. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Twice.7 years the first time, 28 years the second- and going great!

the harp unstrung and JRA like this.
  14. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Even a few posts into this thread I'd noticed the trend for stability...but I'm thinking maybe it's because our wives realise that us bass players just don't attract the ladies at a gig...:D

the harp unstrung likes this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    My lips are zipped.

Oddly and JRA like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was married once briefly in the 90’s, now I am coming up on six years of being very happily married to my permanent wife.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png
    happy anniversary!
    i'm not too sure about that. i was a 'musician' before i was ever a bass player. musicians can be narcissistic, temperamental, selfish (and wonderful and thoughtful and romantic!). but: i see where you're trying to go with your assertion! good luck! :laugh: :thumbsup:

18. Twice. First one lasted 8 years. Going on 29 this time with Seahag.
    548571_323611647701774_357496021_n.jpg

19. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    One. 17 years, all of them awful, not that there weren't good moments scattered around.

I am not afraid to say 'Never again.' Even if I wanted it, which I emphatically don't, I'm pretty sure my odds are zilch.

20. slobake

slobake resident ... something

This is one of your better posts, not saying the others aren't good but this one inspired me. I'm guessing that your wife may be your muse.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021