1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how much would you pay for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 23, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    At your current salary how much would you pay for a bass that was amazing just totally perfect , It could make any sound you wanted , heeled amazing , how much would you ever pay at tops for a bass , I would pay (I'm cheap) at tops for something totally perfect $2500 not a dime more and it has to be GOOD for me :bassist: pay that much

2. Salary? Job? What are those :p?

Anyway, currently, I'd go up to $3500 max. I'd have to REALLY want it though (duh, I guess). Don't think I've seen a bass that I'd be willing to drop that kind of cash for though. Frankly, most of the basses that I would want can be had for less anyway.

3. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    The most I've ever spent is $2400 for my '73 Jazz, but if I wanted another bass I'd buy it, regardless of cost. I am totally satisfied with the basses I own and have no desire for any others at this time.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    About two grand...that's the point of diminishing return for me.

Riis

5. I'd say about 2k as well for an electric bass, but I did give myself a max budget of $3,500 for when I can eventually get a double bass.

6. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'd ignore my salary and only pay cash from what I have saved up. So, from my current savings that aren't already allocated for important things... about £20!

7. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    5K for me.

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    At some point in the future I will buy a blonde 1957 Precision. So, whatever they are going for then is the most I'm willing to pay for a bass.

$(KGrHqZ,!okE63(r2r(FBPGqP0urB!~~60_12.

9. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    In today's market, I set a limit on myself of $2000.00 knowing that I can get an excellent Fender American for less than that.

Personally, I think Basses have become so over priced lately...
    When I bought my Rick back in 1972, it was $525.00, and that was painful back then.
    The Hofner, in 1968 was $235.00 lol, and back then I think I was the only one playing one in the NY, NJ area. People, other musicians, would actually ask if they could take a picture of themselves holding it. lol

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    As long as my wage is concerned the max I could possibly pay for a bass is considering:

solid black Marcus Miller V Jazz (a bass that I love, in the only finishing that can camo the ugly pickguard on it)
    View attachment 279539

or rather Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton V (either black or 3TS)
    View attachment 279540

they're both listin' €. 2.500,00 in Italy. As I'll surely trade one of my best basses for one or another I'm pretty sure the cash difference would amount to €. 1.500,00 (wagewise for me)

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    $525 in 1972 = just shy of $3k nowadays...

I find pretty much everything I need in the $800-1200 range. I can't see justifying much more than that, just doing weekend warrior stuff.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    $2K was the most I ever spent.

I suppose I would go to say $2500 for the right bass, but there isn't anything I need these days other than a J or a Ric...and I'd rather get both of those together for that price tag.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    From what I've read on TB in general folks will pay whatever they think it's worth and please do not express your opinion if you think someone overpaid or that in your opinion something is overated or overpriced. I've learned to stay out of such things. Discussing the price of gear, especially basses (with the owners or fans) of a given manufacturer is like discussing politics and religion, and ideology. People have started wars over such. Personally I want a custom made Brubaker and they are not cheap by any means. I would try to negotiate a price that would work for the both of us. While price is important it's not the only factor as I have found.

14. I like basses like wishbass or krappy guitars, or even my own build on the cheap with woods, so about £500 max? Good thing too, I'm 14, jobless and spend all my money on other projects too quickly!

15. Junk420

Junk420

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Whatever this costs when I find it.

Tom Araya signature model ESP

tomarayaesp.

Last I saw one in a shop it was somewhere around $1200

16. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I think you're referring to the original Tom Araya, 'cause the one you pictured is the basswood bodied/bolton neck cheap replica version "LTD TA 200" and I can assure you for instance
    here in Italy it is no more than €. 600,00 worth

The one you mentioned the price of, I think should be the "LTD
    TA 600" which is the "official replica" so made in the very same
    material, hardware and electronics, but by LTD in Indonesia

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I spent $2800 once, but was afraid to take the bass out of the house because it was a rare and special model. I paid $2200 for my current Lakland bass and it was worth every penny. I use that bass for every gig. It's my only bass now.

18. Junk420

Junk420

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Just googled a quick pic.

The one I want is the fully loaded 5 string model. I forgot that this site is much more technical and literal than others.

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This. I would pay anything for an amazing bass (or try to swing it anyway) but no matter how great it played and sounded, there would be a point that I would be reluctant to take it out of the case.

Call my magic number $5k.

20. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    2 grand would be the max. I have learned that I can make almost any bass sound good in a live situation just by using different technique, I do love my MIA fender p bass, but if I had to use a first act bass at a gig, I guarantee It would sound great!