Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HT112 v. T112 v. GS112 v. Wizzy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have tried every cab I mentioned with the exception of the Bergie HT112. I am once again looking for a standalone 112 to practice and do small gigs with. I play a Celinder Vintage J4 (passive) with a Sadowsky preamp and about 200/300 watts. I like a versatile sound- from Motown to modern...

Regardless, I was just wondering who else had tried these cabs- which they preferred and why?

(I know lots of you have bought and sold these specific cabs...why?)

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I gave up 12's as a standalone and went back to a single 15. A single 12 was lacking in every situation i tried. I had the Berg, the Aggie and the EA(Wizzy and CXL) and also a Raezer's Edge 12 Bass 400. I now use a Flite 1x15 custom loaded with a Eminence Delta Pro and it smokes the 12's and it only weighs 28 lbs! I take it you're still liking the Celinder you got from me?

3. Hiya Marc
    I've played all three and owned two. Didn't care for the GS112, the T112 sounded good. I prefer the Berg HT112. It likes the juice though and doesnt go as low as the others but is a great little stand alone, my favorite itty bitty cab. The ht112 and the t112 together is waaay impressive.

4. Had a Bergantino HT-112 (and EX-112) and I loved the size, weight, and focused mids. But, it was lacking in the "booty" dept. IMHO. Im now using an Epifani T112 and I love it! Less mids but better low end extension. Downside to the Epifani? Its seems huge compared to the Bergs! Everything is a trade off 'cause its all just physics, baby!

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've played all four, and I own three of the four (all but the GS112). What overall tone are you going after?

Tom.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    HI! (he he)

I have HT112 and UL112, UL112 for electric and HT112 for upright is my read.

Will

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I personally love the GS112. PLENTY of low end and highs. Mid's are just a hair shy, but still good and just a slight boost to the mids on my EQ takes care of that. A lot of TBers love em too (I'm surprised that more have not posted). Here are some good articles of the Aggies.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I AM still diggin the Celinder...trying to find the right strings though.

The tone I am after is that elusive tone in my head, you know the one: phat, punchy, clear, round, solid, warm, and big...& tone that sounds as good at home as it does on the gig!

Okay, just kidding! I know this is highly unreasonable (at least without a second mortage).

The type of tone I want is versatile, I want something that can adjust to many types of music/styles. One of my biggest kicks is to put my ipod on shuffle and play whatever comes on...I want a single cab that can do that reasonably well and still handle a small/medium gig.

I hesitate to use words like "phat" and "juicy" (Joker;))because they are so subjective...while I do find that I barely gravitate towards a tubey-scooped sound. Even in writing this I find that I hesitate because I also like some cut...like I mentioned before...I probably want too much!

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you scroll down the list of entries on my blog, you'll find a Mini Cab Combo Shootout which compares, among other things, two Wizzy's, the Berg HT112/EX112 and the Epifani T-112/T-110UL. It's not dead on topic, but may prove somewhat helpful.

I am thinking that the HT112 is probably the closest to what you are after. But, the Wizzy is a 4 ohm cab, and may work better if you only use one cab. Between the two, with just one cab, the Wizzy is a bit more upper mid focused, and the HT112 packs more low mid punch.

Tom.

10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I own two HT-112s and a Wizzy. I've played through the Aggie and have heard other folks play through them. I haven't heard the Epi up close.

I mostly play funk/jazz/Latin stuff on 4 & 5 string BGs and upright bass. I use GK 400RB, Eden WT-400 and EA iAmp800 heads. These days I have 2-3 gigs + 3-5 rehearsals a week so small and light is the way to go.

The HT-112 is (for my purposes) the best cab I've ever heard for bass guitar. Punchy, warm, balanced, lots of detail. It doesn't have particularly deep bottom end but it responds like a much bigger cab--throw a ton of watts at it and it just sings. I'm not crazy about it for upright--it's kind of boxy on the low end and lacking upper-mid definition.

I use the Wizzy on gigs where I'm doubling or just playing upright. It doesn't have the lowest lows or highest highs, but it has very clear mids. The fact that it doesn't have a crossover, and because the highs and lows come from the same place, gives it a clarity throughout its range that I haven't heard in a 2 or 3 way speaker (even Bergs, AccuGrooves, or Acme).

'm not entirely sure of the physics but I do know that crossovers and separate drivers in different places introduce phase shift that muddies up the sound. I also find that the Wizzy projects this detail very well off-axis. I can hear mids and highs even when I'm standing right above the cab in close quarters, which is not the case with tweeter-loaded cabs I've used. The Wizzy is also very light and its efficient speaker + 4 ohm rating let you get pretty darn loud with low-wattage heads.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Excellent observations! I concur.

Tom.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Wow...amazing how two guys can have the same cab and hear the complete opposite sound coming out of it. To me, the HT112 is fairly unsuitable for electric and the total bomb for upright...with a very natural low end and more going on in the mids (upper too) than anything else I've tried. It takes all kinds!

13. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I know what you mean and I'm also using a J Bass. Flite 1x15 w/Delta Pro. It'll surprise ya!! Handles many gigs any of the 1x12's you've mentioned couldn't begin to handle and the 15 gives that tone I think you're looking for. I've used it on R&B/Funk gigs to Jazz gigs and have had many comments on how good it sounds. Order the cab empty from Flite and get the driver from Dave at Avatar. I think you'll also be surprised how much less money you could get into one of these opposed to the other cabs.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use a Berg HT112 with my 6 string Roscoe pumping something like 300-350 watts (Ashdown EVO500II) into the little Berg. I do have the EX112 as well but I hardly ever need it (playing jazz). If I need a more focused sound for the room I use a gramma pad. If I want more lows for the room I put it on the floor. That little speaker keeps up with my Roscoe B string in spades. Of coarse with more power it shines but it's no slouch with the Ashdown.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I currently own a Epi NYC 112 and a GS112. I spent alot time looking at the berg... played thru it many times. The berg is a very nice sounding cab. Not enough bottom by itself. Two are great for punch, but still not enough bottom for me.

The GS112 has lots of bottom but not enough mids for some situations. Tried a berg 112 and a GS112 combined and this provided a bass in your face feel with a "pillowy" bottom.

I own the Epifani and think this is the best choice for using by itself. It has more bottom than the berg and cuts better than the aguilar. The tweeter sounds better than the aguilar but not as good as the berg. What I really like is using the Epifani with the GS 112 and this is the perfect blend. Nice fat bottom distinct mids without being overwhelming and clean highs. As a stand alone I would recommend the Epifani, especially given what yoiu are playing. I use the epifani with my demeter/mackie combo or my AG500SC. I"m usually playing a Jazz bass (4 or 5) and playing R&B and Jazz. Tough choice no matter how you look at it.

Good luck!!

16. +1

17. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Are you guys suggest the older T112s or the newer UL version?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own three of the four. Never used the Aguilar. I pick the non-UL Epifani for stand-alone. It has more low-end. The Berg is cleaner with a very good top-end and the Wizzy is warm and is 4 ohms. I've used them alone mainly with an EA iAMP 500 or Walter Woods Ultra. They all kick butt but I still think the Epifani is the best on its own. Biggest and least portable, too. For DB or EUB, however, I prefer the Wizzy. Again, very warm.

19. I prefer the tone of the NYC if you dont need the weight reduction of the UL

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Also some good points. The T-112 definitely has the biggest booty if you are only using one cab, so in many situations, it might be preferrable to the others. I do like it as a stand alone cab, for sure. It's ultimate volume (with enough watts) is probably the highest. Of course, it is the biggest of the group. But, the Berg is probably the most tonally balanced, and the Wizzy probably puts out the most sound per size/weight, so really, you are dealing with multiple excellent options, here.

Tom.