1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humbled

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ErikW, Feb 21, 2013.

1. So your going along, practicing all of the songs in your set lists thinking to yourself, yea, I'm getting pretty good. So, you decide to get off of the beaten path and pull up some other tunes in your itunes library to jam with and click on "Girlfriend" by Michael Jackson and you are instantaneously put back in your place by the awesomeness of Louis Johnson. Damn! back to the woodshed!!

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Being humble to your art is a beautiful thing.

3. Stop listening to Michael Jackson and it will solve the problem, and it will also improve your taste in music. ;)

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He was one of the most talented pop artists I can think of.

5. I think the opposite, but each to their own - I was just joking. If the music inspires you, then that's good enough.

6. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    If your never humbled, you will never grow.

7. Also be aware... There are 12-year olds practicing in their rooms right now, that are already better than us. Their names just aren't out there yet.

8. I think you need to be a little more open minded. There is a lot of good music out there man. Michael's stuff is pretty awesome if you really give it a listen. This coming from a rock bassist who, when I was younger, despised Michael Jackson as you do. Open your ears and mind! Just sayin':)

9. So true!

10. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I try to act like a 12-year-old as much as possible but it hasn't seemed to help my playing as much as I'd hoped.

11. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Michael could choose from some of the best artists out there...even if you don't like his music per se you should consider the craftsmanship of what he put out.
    Went and gave it a listen on YouTube...don't remember this one. The bass playing is extremely solid for the genre but I'm not quite as wowwed as the OP. But it was nice seeing Michael when he still looked normal.

12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Take heart, even the pros spend time in the 'shed.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    MJ was the Mozart of our lifetimes; I am not a particularly religious man, but from the youngest age performing with Jackson 5, his voice is so angelic, his talent so prodigious, truly a gift from above!

14. willop

willop

Feb 7, 2013
    beaver, pa
    I'm humbled by my own 12 year old!
    His teacher shows him something and in 15 minutes he's playing as if he'd known it for a decade.
    me? Well, still looking for the lost chord. I think it's in the back of the fridge under that beer...let me drink it and see. Wait, there's another beer to look under...

15. In those days, it wasn't all techno/autotuned. Michael was a consummate professional and knew exactly what he wanted from each musician that recorded or toured with him.

16. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Of course, there is the controversy of ,"was he freakin where shouldn't have been". I like to hope it was less than they claimed. I certainly feel for the dude at a certain level(And yes, fantastic pipes): never getting a normal life, always being rolled out as the boy wonder. The video for "Girlfriend" really underscores it - he still has a 'fro, his nose looks natural, he's sliding down a waterslide looking goofy. And then he is slowly crushed by the world.
    I'm grateful I have outlived him and have not been crushed that way.

Back on topic - yeah, you get hit by someone else's solid line and you can get a little poke of,"would I have done as well if it was me there?" Humbled 2. Great thread for a Friday evening(here).

"Girlfriend"

17. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I wouldn't go as far as saying he was the Mozart of our lifetime. MJ was part of one of the first "boys band" and a big pop star so a great enterteiner but that's about it.

18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great video, edpal---the behind the scenes candid footage was so cute!

Funny nobody has mentioned yet that the song and original bass line were written by none other than Sir Paul McCartney!

19. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    My current favorite MJ performance:

Arguably the best singer of my lifetime (so far) RIP.

20. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm always amazed and humbled by the talent that lurks in the mere county I live in. The worlds a big place, but when you hear just a fraction of what's just outside your door how can you not be humbled?