1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I'm evacuating

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. I'm boarding up and I'm gonna ride it out

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I'm not doing any thing hoping it will miss

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Hurricane Ike is planned to hit just south of where i am:help:

i still have no idea what i am going to do:confused:

i worry for my basses:crying:

what is everybody else doing along the gulf coast?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Breathing a sigh of relief that it's not us this time, but worrying about those of y'all taking the hit on this one. Its the storm surge that has me concerned. We're several hundred miles away, but already seeing 8-10 ft seas here, expected to get up to 15-17 by tomorrow night. That doesn't bode well for any taking the hit in a low area.

I know its hard to think about, but forget about the basses. Keep yourself safe!

3. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I am sitting tight and not doing anything in NW Harris county

4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Looks like we are going to get wet here. Wife tells me the paninc inteh stors has already started.

[​IMG]

5. Gonna be boarding up tomorrow, possibly evacuating.

Fun.

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Where do you live?

7. texas-map.

right about there
    in league city

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Found this one on WeatherUnderground.com:

[​IMG]

9. Deer Park, just a mile or so east of the Beltway off of highway 225, near Pasadena.

I'm having second thoughts about evacuating, but definitely will be helping my dad board up tomorrow. We've got a few generators (including an electric one that can be used indoors) so even if power goes out we shouldn't be too screwed.

Also gonna go to the liquor store too tomorrow - if its as bad as the weather people say it is I better keep myself entertained :help:

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm in La Marque, right next to I-45, exit 11. Look up La Marque High School on GoogleMaps, and you're in my neighborhood- I'm just SE of the school. 6 miles due east is Galveston Bay, 11 miles S-SE is the seawall. I'm at 27 feet MSL. Looks like I will go to work for a few hours in La Porte, my plant is right on the ship channel. I need to finish securing the servers, then I'll come home and board up.

My ex-wife is taking the girls and going to San Antonio...they live in League City.

11. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    You guys down south should consider going. I am in Cypress so I am going to stay put. Try to leave before it get stupid like Rita.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Some fun things to do during a hurricane-

Get online and order 22 medium 2-topping pizzas from Dominoes. Send email to the customer service department asking for coupons for free pizzas when they don't show up in 30 minutes.

Throw a yard sale. Put everything you've been meaning to get rid of out on the driveway and post a sign- $5.00, all you can catch!

Get the neighbor kids together and play that old favorite party game, "Bobbing For Debris"...

Make a tarp into a sail, attach it to your car, and see how many miles per gallon you can get!

Count the raindrops.

Walking the dog- take bets on how far his poo will go before it hits the ground (or some other object). Extra points if you can reel him back in within two minutes.

Put your trash out by the curb for pickup.

Practice your chip shots in the front yard- 312 yards with a wedge is not uncommon in a hurricane!

Practice your kayak rolls in the street. Be sure to wear your helmet and lifejacket.

Any others?

13. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Try parasailing, just watch out for buildings

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was just informed by my boss that I am expected to be at work tomorrow for normal work hours. I guess I'll have an interesting drive home tomorrow nite. :mad: I think winds should be at hurricane force by then. We are also not allowed to leave early to board up. This sucks. I'm seriously thinking that I will grab my personal effects and tell them to kiss my lily-white bu-ttocks. I might quit over this. If they had told me earlier I was essential, I could have planned accordingly. Also, my office is in a metal warehouse building built in 1959. Single-layer corrugated aluminum, to be exact. The walls are thin, you can hear people walking on the crushed rock behind my wall.

This really sucks. I didn't think I'd have to make a choice between protecting my property and family, or having a job. :mad::mad::mad:

15. Brian Reading

Brian Reading

Nov 20, 2007
    Houston
    I'm still waiting for the University of Houston to make an announcement in about thirty minutes to determine if I'm off for the day, and will make plans then.

16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Whoa, Eric!

At this point we're staying. There are too many variables floating at the moment, mainly my wife being in Fort Worth at the moment and not due to arrive home until this evening.

We're on the extreme northern end of Brazoria County. I can through a rock into Harris County. Our house was built in 1968 and has stood the test of time and has never been flooded. I'm mildy nervous about the big trees in the yard, but I'm trying not to buy into the hype just yet.

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I plan on staying as well, my wife's restaurant is closed today until Sunday (maybe), I was going under the assumption that we'd be allowed to go home early today to board up and do storm prep. So I get to board up in the dark, and I have to work tomorrow. My zip code is under voluntary evac at this time, they are going to decide whether to go mandatory by 5pm. If we're under mandatory evac, and I go into work Friday, I can't come home again until they decide to let people back into those areas. Depending on damage, that could be well after Mon-Tues. If I had any vacation left, they'd let me take a day tomorrow, but I don't. My vacation starts Weds next week, I was going to fly to Georgia to see my dad, return Tuesday afternoon. Then in December we're going on a week-long cruise, so there's all my vacation for the year. I'm stuck. Tickets are already bought and paid for. So far, corporate doesn't see the need to let anyone be off for storm prep, even non-essential personnel are expected to work 6-5 tomorrow. By 5pm we're expecting strong tropical storm conditions, even hurricane-force winds near my house. That's real safe for non-essential personnel to be driving in. I'm about ready to quit. I'm loading all my personal effects into the car now in anticipation of my not returning to work, ever. :meh:

18. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

haha
    thats great

19. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I will be at work when the storm hits, the heating/cooling/emergency power plant for most of the hospitals in the Texas Medical Center. I've been designated one of the essential personnel during a natural disaster, so I'll be sleeping in my office come tomorrow night, and possibly Saturday night as well depending on the severity of the storm.

My apartment however is at I45 South and the beltway, so I'm a little worried about it taking some damage. I'll be taping up all my windows and putting the more fragile valuables (ie. my instruments) in my bathroom so I won't have to worry about them while I'm at work. At this point however I'm glad I have a 2nd story apartment.

20. what exactly do you do?