1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had to choose "The One"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Aug 1, 2020.

1. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Sending mojo and general good vibes your way. Sorry to read about the misses.

2. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    All the best to your wife, and your family.

I'm going to find myself needing to make a choice, soon. I've been building a tiny house myself over the past 2 years. I'm going to be finished soon, and I'll be towing it to another city. There's not a lot of space in a tiny house, relative to a regular house, despite all my storage solutions. The '65 Hofner is definitely coming with me. It means too much to me. As does my '76 Ibanez P. I guess I'll have to be rid of the Fretless Jazz. Practicality says so.

thisonegoestoeleven likes this.
  3. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Wouldn't be for me, either. I dearly love playing music and collecting basses (and saxophones), but it's all utterly completely meaningless compared to my wife, family, and friends. I'd sell it all instantly and without hesitation for any of them. Many prayers for you and yours.

4. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    Wow prayers to you, your wife and your family. I hope “The One” brings you very much joy as you play it and know in your heart that you made “the one” right sacrafice out of love and care.
    Your gesture of selling your materialistic items will also help with her healing knowing that she has a very loving husband!

5. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Best wishes to you and your family. It's tough to be in this position but as you said family comes first. People are everything, basses can be replaced. Blessings to you all.

6. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I thoughts are with you and your family. I’m happy to hear you ended up with something you really love.

7. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    I hope your wife gets well soon! That is the most important thing right now :)

I have gotten my first bass from my then fiance and I intend to keep playing only this bass. I said that if she broke I would replace the parts unless it suffered some absolute catastrophe like the body literally shattering into a few pieces or something as silly as that. It doesn't matter to me what other great instruments there are, this one is mine.

Again, good luck to you and best wishes and I'm sending tons of health towards your partner!!! Get well soon!

8. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Have a purpose and live it out. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Praying for your wife and situation.
    I went through a hard time with my wife’s health a couple years ago and it all a very stressful on every one.
    I am hoping everything turns out ok for your family.

9. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    my work here is done then.

Katoosie and BobDeRosa like this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    So sorry to hear about your wife- wishing her and your family the best.

I totally hear what you’re saying about switching instruments, I’m the same way. I do gig but only occasionally (rarely this year!) and I just wanna pick it up and play. I only have 2 myself, and I picked the second because the necks were nearly identical. Even so, the difference in string stiffness, setup, pickup sounds can be a distraction and a time suck...

well anyway, enjoy your practice time and best of luck!

Katoosie likes this.
  11. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    I usually pick victims by their value to usefulness ratio. So the Squier that is really a decent instrument but will return peanuts on the used market is almost always going to be the last one standing. Most liquid toys go first.

12. I added up the value of all my basses...they are really not worth much on the used market. They would not make much of a difference if I got into a financial jam.

Wish you luck, man.

13. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Dude I hope your wife makes it through whatever it is. Bon sante.

14. I`m from the UK and we have the National health service, which is far from perfect but is free at the point of use. To have to sell off your collection to pay medical bills is so sad but at least you seem happy with the one you have kept so best wishes to yourself and your family and enjoy the "one"

Paul Needs and citizenchris099 like this.
  15. Paul Needs

Paul Needs

May 20, 2020
    South Wales
    I’m interested in the 6-string(s)!

16. Sounds like there was a silver lining, which is nice!

The situation sucks, though. I hope your wife recovers faster and better than expected.

17. Priorities...sacrifices...unexpected rewards...

We've all been there or will be too one degree or another, at some point in time...its life.

In my case, I prefer not to have a stable of 8 Basses that I have had in the past. But I want the most flexibility I can have in the fewest instruments as possible.

I started out with ditching a fretless Bass. (I have had the fewest calls for it, ever.) That's easy! (I understand others not seeing that choice, but it's my choice.)

Then, I have to have something that hugs the 4 string Fender vibe for looks and sound. I don't show up to an Americana type situation with anything else.

Finally, a single 5 string Bass that sounds great!

I decided that a custom Warmoth "Fender" situation was the best way to roll to optimize effort in the most areas...

Roasted Alder Jazz Bass (*4.25 lbs)
    2 x EMG35 pickup routes
    New OEM 2TEK 19mm bridge (*w/ routes)

1/4 sawn Maple/Ebony 1 11/16" nut width
    Brass nut = .125 - .110 - .085 - .065
    Hipshot HB-1 Lollipops

Fishman Fluence Mike Inez Sig. Pickups

This Bass I can use for (A/B)EAD tuning or EADG as I use Med-Hvy gauge strings. The pickups offer a great dirty rock tone AND a phat classic round P Bass tone, with or without, a P/J bridge dual/single coil engaged. Also, the ability to change out the pickups in that size, is likely the most flexible in the industry.

The 5 string is a custom Warwick Masterman (D/E)ADGC with a similar EMG35 pickup situation replacing the stock dual JJ pickup. When I have the chance to do ambient situations, this is the Bass with the widest range possible.

Done!

All realistic Basses for me covered...no pain!

Good luck out there to everyone...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  18. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Prayers and positive vibes for your wife and family. Glad you found the one, bass-wise.

19. Very sorry to hear of your ill fortune.

I truly hope things improve. Though selling basses to help your wife is noble and just the right thing to do.

S

Roger W likes this.
  20. Hi Chris,
    I am so sorry to hear about your wife being so ill. May she recover soon. Prayers with you all. Your sacrifice of your collection is most unfortunate but your priorities are golden. I am going to check out the EBMM Ray Special 4H to see what you like about it so much. Best wishes for your family.

citizenchris099 likes this.