1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had to choose "The One"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Aug 1, 2020 at 6:51 AM.

1. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    So I occasionally see threads asking hypothetical questions such as
    "if you could only have one bass which would it be?"
    Well for me the question wasn't hypothetical.
    Though I've not yet chosen to reside on a desert island I've had to make the desert island decision.
    My wife was very ill and medical bills were (hell are) mounting. Much of my assets are not exactly "liquid" and I had immediate need. Once the "liquid" savings was getting too low I had to look around at nice to haves that could be sacrificed to help pay these bills.
    I decided that the bass collection had to go.
    I would be lying if I said it was a hard decision. It really wasn't all that hard. My wife and child come before anything.
    Granted I didn't have the biggest collection by any stretch of the imagination.
    • Fender AVRI '64 J
    • Fender American Pro P
    • Lakland 44-76
    • Lakland Jerry Scheff
    • Xotic Active Jazz thing...I forget the model. It was the best active Jazz I've had the please of playing.
    • EBMM Ray Special 4H
    • EBMM Sterling 4HS
    • Fender Tony Franklin Fretless
    • G&L SB-2T Fretless
    I chose to sell all of them save my beloved Ray Special.
    I adore that bass. It is by far the best feeling and sounding bass I've ever owned (which includes a Rob Allen though I ditched it a long time ago).

I feel like any attempt at trying to convey how much happier I am with only one bass (and one six string no less..but I didn't think you guys would care about the six string collection and what I decided to keep) will sound like I'm rationalizing.
    Maybe I am(?) I don't think so though. If I were to be entirely honest I didn't enjoy switching instruments at all. I'm not a professional musician. I have time to practice during work days about maybe 30-60 min tops and only significant time playing is on weekends. Suffice is to say the time spent playing my instruments is precious and fleeting. Getting re-acclimated to the different instruments was becoming quite bothersome. I found that the most irritating thing was switching neck profile. Specifically radius differences in the instruments was becoming bothersome most of all.

Anyhoo I've bored you guys enough with this rather long post. For those that made it through thanks.

eccles77, Luigir, dmt and 82 others like this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    God bless and like you if I had to all my basses but one would be sold. I hope things improve for your and your family.

3. Tank88

Tank88

Jul 26, 2020
    Prayers for your wife and family. I’m still new enough that I’m still finding out which instruments I prefer. I also don’t have a ton of practice time and plan to zero in on a favorite bass to spend most of of time with so that my comfort level is very high with it. For me this usually means offloading some gear so I can try new stuff.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I wish your family the best and hope your wife gets better soon. Two basses is more than enough. I was a professional bassist with only two basses for 7 years.

dmt, zie, EatS1stBassist and 4 others like this.
  5. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Very touching post. Yes, family comes first. I'm so happy you were able to keep your favourite bass! It's all you need!

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm sorry to hear about your predicament and hope your wife recovers very soon.

I had 6 basses and wanted to reduce down to 2. I am not sentimental about my gear and the basses I kept actually chose themselves. When I thought about it, they were the best sounding, best playing basses, the ones I usually chose for gigs and practice.

stuntbass77 and basspraiser like this.
  7. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I am praying for your family. I think you made the right decision on the basses. My Stingray would be the last to go even over my Steinberger which is not nearly as replaceable.

mrm56, dralionux, Mastermold and 4 others like this.
  8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO when you start talking about basses as "The One" you make it more difficult to take rational decisions.

First, sell the bass you play the least. Second, ask the same question. Keep going until you've reached the number of basses you want to keep.

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Best wishes for your wife and family. Basses can be replaced. I have gotten rid of five basses in the past few months and a few cabinets just because I wanted the space back, in my home and my heart. Getting rid of stuff makes me happy these days.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

instruments can be replaced --- if they even need to be. best wishes to your wife. peace to you and your family. :thumbsup:

11. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    this video really helped me out.
    though he's talking about "guitars" this is easily applicable to any gear.

Bassaga, zie, TideSwing and 6 others like this.
  12. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Best wishes to you and your family. I recently decided to downsize and go all in on one bass that I can really bond with. I sold two basses and a guitar to acquire an AVRI '63 P bass as my one and only. I feel much less burdened now and can really get dialed in on this one. I'm a hobby player, luckily we are gigging outside once a month, but this is really all I need to be happy.

Sparuto, TideSwing, B-Lo and 2 others like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t know what to say other than in all sincerity to wish you and your family well. :)

14. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    At this point I only own "the one", but if needed I'd let it go in a heartbeat, loved ones come first in life.
    Best wishes for your family!

stuntbass77 and Malak the Mad like this.
  15. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Regarding being happier with just one bass....maybe rationalizing is playing a part in it but, even if it is, I'm sure that seeing her face will convince you that it's only a very small part of it. If it's there at all. Mere things can be replaced, but the ones you love can't.

I hope things go as well for her and for your family as they can. Peace.

TideSwing, B-Lo and stuntbass77 like this.
  16. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to hear about your family situation. Good luck with everything.

I feel the same way about switching basses. I was doing it constantly and it was not productive. I sold all my basses except two, and just put one of those up for sale today. The last man standing is my American P-bass. I love everything about this bass and I find my playing improving from playing the same bass all the time.

citizenchris099 likes this.
  17. Steadfast

Steadfast Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me

Wow. I faced a very similar situation this past year. God got me through it despite the devastating bills. Pray you and yours are doing well now.

18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Finding a bass that really fits you is a great thing. A few years ago, I bought a number of basses, including several boutique instruments. I’ve slowly sold them all off, and have been playing a Korean Schecter. It’s an excellent, stable instrument that I bought here on Talkbass years ago. It’s not my only bass (I have 3), but it’s been “the one” for several years.

In any case, your decision to sell off all of your Basses, save one, speaks well of you. Family issues can be very difficult, but it sounds like you’re making good decisions. I applaud you.

citizenchris099 likes this.
  19. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Prayers for your beloved wife, man. My wife has beeen cancer free for 13 years, and it was forever to pay off stuff even with insurace. But your right. the basses can be replaced... eventually. Family is first.
    God bless..

20. Funk With Me

Funk With Me

Tuesday
    I sincerely wish for the best for you and your wife. God bless. Mi mojo es su mojo.