1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I had to choose "The One"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Aug 1, 2020.

1. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have a few guitars too.... let's hear it. ;)

All the best for your wife!

citizenchris099 likes this.
  2. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    this ^^

Guitars
    '67 Les Paul Standard (it was my Uncles and it was a case queen as he didn't really play much)
    Double Cut LP Jr.
    AVRI Strat
    AVRI Tele
    PRS Silver Sky
    EBMM Mariposa

The Mariposa is the one I decided to keep.
    I just love EBMM too much. It was the only 6 string I played anyway.

Thank you to all for you well wishes.
    My wife is on the road to recovery ...but its a long one.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Wishing your wife a full recovery and you and your family an easier time!
    Glad to hear that you've got The One bass.

ItsmeSantiago and stuntbass77 like this.
  4. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Music Tech magazine.
    Best wishes from the UK. I've recently scaled down, which involved a combination of buying and selling to end up with a smaller but more effective setup. Whenever I've sold gear to cover something important, I've been grateful that I was able to do so. Play the XXXX out of that bass! Good luck.

ted burik likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    You had a nice assortment of basses. It was nice that you were able to experience owning them.
    Looks like you made a wise decision not only in putting family as first priority but in choosing to keep the instrument which you are most comfortable with and gives you the most pleasure . That’s a bass that can fit and work in any situation.

Praying for a full and quick recovery for your wife .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. Hurrah! for you friend.
    Like you, I would sell everything down to my shorts to take care of my loved ones. I only hope your circumstances allow you to hold on to your 1.
    We all WANT 50..... We only NEED 1.
    But there are things we all need worse....

7. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    You‘re a great husband and father! Well done, all the best for your family!

stuntbass77 likes this.
  8. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    I’m happy to hear your wife’s doing better. I am very fortunately not in a bind. If I were, I’d try to sell everything if my wife’s health required it.

Sadly, there are a fair number of vultures circling trying to take advantage of people in financial distress. I was selling an svt-3pro in the last few weeks and this guy tried talk me down to half my asking price to get a quick sale. I said no and a week later someone else paid full price. In the meantime, he was still trying.

9. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Correct choice. If I could only have one, it would be a StingRay.

murmur70 likes this.
  10. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Sending up prayer for you and family ! I was fortunate enough to have owned some really nice basses over the last 25 years and now being down to roughly 2 ( I do have parts laying around to build but they won’t be worth anything as I make them ) I found I spend more time playing then looking toward the next cool bass I can get my hands on. I now have to work on my playing and not relying on several different basses to pull different tones out of. I like now that I have muscle memory for only these two bass and not trying to go through several while practicing. Thanks for sharing, God bless !!!

BassmanM and lowdownthump like this.
  11. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of western NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Best of luck with everything you're going through. You've inspired me to try to reduce to one bass guitar. Thanks.

12. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Best wishes for you, your family and your wife. Lets see a pic of that Ray Special. I also have a love for them and just picked up my second last week. The two on the left in this pic are both specials and the others are an Old Smoothie and SR5.
    20200728_204344.jpg

13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    ‘First of all, I’m sorry for your wife’s illness, and hope recovery is possible and soon. I don’t have a lot of basses and never have. The most I’ve ever had at one time is two. Currently I have a Fender PJ 4 string, and a Warwick Corvette STD. 5 String. I really don’t have an issue moving from one instrument to another. May be 5-10 minutes at the most. What I would find challenging is remembering the tonal aspects.

I have my EQ settings down for my two. But trying to remember settings for 10 Basses? That is way beyond my pay grade.

MynameisMe likes this.
  14. All the very best to you and your wife and family.
    When all's said and done possessions are nice, but they are only things aren't they? As nice as it can be having them, there's no comparison between things and the people we love and build our lives with.
    Make the most of every moment and may you and yours have many happy years ahead of you.

BassmanM likes this.
  15. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I went through a troubling time last year. Looked like I had it all, but I was miserable, made some decisions that created havoc and as a result, I dumped almost all of my gear. The boutique stuff is gone and I’m left with a little more than the basics. I was a professional musician and still am I suppose, but I’m down to one bass as well, and today I told a bandmate how much happier I am because of it. It’s a great feeling, for sure.

Thanks for sharing your story. Healing and blessings to you and your family

citizenchris099 likes this.
  16. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Hear, hear! Life is easier with less stuff, and there’s a real reward in getting to know an instrument really deeply, so it becomes a natural extension of your musical mind.

MynameisMe likes this.
  17. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Prayers for your family

18. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead
    If a family emergency came up and I play for enjoyment not work, I'd sell everything.

The bass will always come back after a while

Positive energy be with you

19. Best wishes to your wife and family.

I very recently sold my beloved Status Graphite 6 string fretless and just yesterday shipped one of my remaining uke basses to the shop to get worked on. This left me with just one uke bass, my new Mesa TT-800 head and Mark Bass 2x12 mini stack. It's hard to explain, but there is just something really nice about having only one bass and one rig to play through. Kind of like a Zen-like minimalism and simplicity, not having to think about choices too much.

BassmanM likes this.
  20. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    best wishes to your family.. I am also downsizing right now... for space reasons and I chose my gigging bass .. a parts bass and and selling everything else in the classifieds...

PhatBottomBass1 likes this.