Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I HATE HATE HATE INCIDENTAL JAZZ.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stoned Bass, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Im sorry it just sounds like noise from 1925 but it's a personal thing.(sorry jazzers, If you love it play it)

But I play in punk, rock and classic rock styles and I can't tell you how many stuck up Jazz bassists have scowled at me because I use a pick and like a crisp hard sound rather than a wimpy thud.

Yesterday I was just jamming at my local music club and I was making some mean sounds with my beloved pick.

Then out of nowhere some south-african guy(nothing against south africans) takes my P bass off me (Grrr) and says "you don't know how to play, listen"
    Then he show's me a C (well duh I've been playing for 4 years)and starts slapping the hell out of my poor bass playing this incidental jazz/ska rubbish.
    It sounded awful and all my mates were really p'd off.
    what is wrong with a pick???

sorry about the rant but I had to get it off my chest..
    no offense. :bawl: :scowl:

2. I can think of SO many things wrong with playing with a pick, but that would just be stating my opinion. I can state some things that are different in playing with or without a pick. Fingerstyle is probably the prefered style, im just taking a guess. In my personal opinion I love the sound of finger style, and I'll have you know with a lil' bit of eq'ing and the right technique I can get a sound similar, if not exact to what a pick sounds like. All playing with a pick, in my opinion does, is allows you to play just that little bit faster, but I can play the same speed, with 3 fingers so it makes no diference in that department. Some people find it offensive playing bass with a pick ahaha. I'm one of them, but I don't go around trash talking anyone who does.

3. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    There's nothing wrong with picks. Just haven't found one I liked.

EDIT: Anybody grabbing my bass trying to show me how to play will remember that mistake for a very very long time.

4. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Do you hate jazz or the way that cat played it?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    first off, you shoulda knocked that wanker upside the head when he pulled that junk with you.

and 2nd, forget that guy.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I personally don't care to play with a pick, but it is not wrong in any way to play with one. The attack of the pick may not fit in with some music, but it is your personal preference to use it. I would have flattened that guy with my bass if he did that to me. Unforgivable. He should be killed.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, what does ska have to do with jazz anyway? Some new scary Brit invention?

8. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :smug:

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You know, it's the jazz that happens when a new person walks into a room, or when you're riding on a bus, or the Brady Kids come running down the stairs, one after another. Or when you have a heartfelt moment with a parental unit after learning a valuable lesson.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Incidental jazz? Not another music genre!! Is this anything like blackmetalscreamocoredeath?

Serously though, I listen to a great deal of jazz and this is new to me.

11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Stand back. We're about to have another jazz incident. (And, btw, not all jazz is "smooth." You've just encountered a limited sampling. I bet the same is true of ska, but I can't say for certain.)

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

...and what does it have to do with playing with a pick?

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Incidental jazz? Is that anything like the drummer randomly throwing his sticks at some toms and calling it a drum solo? :p

"Why the **** are you throwing sticks at the toms?"
    "That's jazz, son!"

Just kidding. That was a little joke we messed around with when I was in my HS jazz combo.

"Dude, what the **** are you playing? Random chromatics?"
    "Dude, I'm playing jazz. God..."

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That would be free jazz. See Ornette Coleman :bag:

15. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Hence why we joked about it.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm working on this thing... playing with a pick, but using my pinky and ring finger for popping. that should shut some people up.

17. Forgive my misguided usage of the word 'jazz' and 'Ska' (fusion) but that's the only way I can discribe the mess that this guy was playing at me.

He told me it was incidental Jazz, and if that's what it was then i really really hate it.

I told him I didn't 'get' that type of music and he said I couldn't because it was a 'black thing' :eyebrow:

P.S I do use my fingers especially durring some of the older rock classics its just easier on my ickle Female fingers to use a pick. :meh: :crying:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'd scowl at you too if you called fingerstyle a "wimpy thud." I don't consider Geddy Lee to have a wimpy thud. That could be called close mindedness on your end.

Also, electric slap bass didn't exsist in jazz back in 1925. Also (while we are alsoing) One might consider punk rock to be just a bunch of noise.

19. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, you're a rock person. Not all rock people like jazz. The world keeps on turning, though. One thing: I would never call jazz playing "wimpy thuds." A good "thud" can be earth-moving.

But that guy was totally out of line.

20. I'm with you on that one Matt. Fingerstyle is HARDLY a "wimpy thud", used right and in the proper context it sounds amazing, actually in my opinion fingerstyle pretty much always sounds good, as that is my preferred style of playing. And i also agree that punk rock is a bunch of noise, but I would consider it more like a bunch of talentless, whining teenagers trying to get attention from people complaining about how their girlfriends dumped them, their parents split up, or that they want to commit suicide. No disrespect though:p :bag:

Jared