1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have a major problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sawzalot, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Close eyes and pick at random

61 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Agonize for days about which ones to take

99 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

or 3) Get us all to agonize over it with you. ;)

JRA likes this.
  2. Whos opinion is relivant besides your own?
    I'd just let the drummer and guitar player choose.
    It's fun and you can't go wrong.

3. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Now we’re making progress, this is easy. Obviously the StingRay5. Enjoy the show!

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Trombone is the bass of the future.:woot:

5. Get somebody to change your daiper, too.

JRA and FilTurd like this.
  6. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Which ones have you used the least? Take those so they can earn their keep.

JRA likes this.
  7. BassPilot

BassPilot

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    Make sure you wear 2 different colored socks. That’ll really through ‘em off :p

JRA likes this.
  8. Obviously the Ray 5 and the G&L.

I would probably rotate through them so they all got even wear and exposure, if they all really are interchangeable.

But I always pick my bass I feel is best for the gig. Even if any of them could be made to work, it usually becomes obvious which one is best after a few rehearsals, and it's usually the Warwick Streamer Stage I but sometimes it's the Fender Jazz. The Fender P and the SSD are relegated to backup duties.

For me it's about comfort, but comfort oddly enough depends a lot on tone. The way a particular bass (and amp) blends with the drummer's toms and playing, and the guitars' tone and playing, usually leaves one bass sonically fitting the best. That good fit in turn makes it a bit easier to play and thus more comfortable.

BBassBassington likes this.
  9. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Be Brave and surprised. Have your significant other, or kids(if you have any) or a friend make the choice. Leave the room and let them put two basses in cases and don't open them until you get to the gig.

JRA and sawzalot like this.
  10. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    I take them all and then play the P.

11. Larchi

Larchi

Jul 1, 2012
    Vic, Australia
    2000 Musicman Stingray 5
    2012 G&L JB4

12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I remember in the early 80's seeing Delaney and Bonnie in Seattle. Was cool because EC played a few songs on guitar and Leon Russell was traveling with them unannounced for the tour. The show was awesome. I remember the bass player was a tall drink of water wearing a burgundy outfit and had a burgundy bass. He was also playing with what looked like a Super Showman or something similar with two very large silver cloth cabinets. They were Fenders, probably JBL 215's.

I thought the bass player looked very cool with his matching outfit and bass.

13. I would take the stingray. I’ve been enjoying my fretted sterling for band practice lately in parallel, something about that sound with a band is just perfect! I’m going to rotate to something else next practice or two. Seeing how you have 3 basses that sound the same but a 4,a fretless and a 5 with the sterling having the slight advantage in versatility I would say swap them out every gig and throw the G&L in now and then for good measure!

14. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    Since all the Basses are equal it won't be a catastrophe no matter which two get picked. To be fair to the instruments assign a number to each Bass and place a slip of paper with the numbers in a hat, go outside and have the first person that comes along draw two slips. Or to make it a little more interesting put the numbers of every possible pair of Basses on slips of paper and have the random person pick one slip. If no one is available to draw from a hat stick the slips on a dartboard and while blindfolded throw two darts. The two slips that the darts come closest to decide which Basses go to the gig. If the paper slips with all possible pairs are used you have more targets but only have to throw one dart.

15. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    That´s really a major first world problem. My thoughts are with you and your family ;)

JRA likes this.
  16. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Being slightly serious here -because I'm embarrassed to admit I had / have this inability to choose something as ridiculous as to which basses to take:

1) Always take 2 VERY different basses - both with very different pickup types / sounds. If you have problems getting the sound you want or cutting through the mix, the other might just save you, instead of being a sonic copy of the problem you are experiencing.

2) For me at least, taking a 4 AND a 5 is redundant. I would have to learn the set twice to make the most of the additional 5 notes of the B string - otherwise I'd end up playing it as if it were a 4 and ignoring the extra string. Therefore to make the decision easier: do you really NEED the lower range for your music, or not?

3) Sell off basses that cover the same sonic ground. If you have difficulty choosing it must because they have similarities and overlap.

Life's too short to waste time fussing over details. I had a huge collection and am only now realising less is more because I realistically can only use 1 at a time and I only ever need 1 if I want a Jazz, P, Musicman or fretless sound.

I used to think having backups of each instrument was the way to go but it is just wasteful, takes up too much space and stresses me out with the maintenance! Invariably you always have a favourite among duplicates of similar basses in any case! So pick the best and sell the rest!

All IMHO of course.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  17. I always have 2 fixed ones, depending on type of gig or band. The Frankenfender gets played mostly on both the coverband and metal band gig. A handmade beater 4 string bass gets used solely in the coverband. A custom 5 string bass and home built 6 string bass gets played out depending on the mood.

18. I grabbed my gig bag for a gig a couple of weeks ago and was surprised during setup to find a StingRay instead of a P bass in there. And I was fine....

19. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia, Riga
    It all matters where the gig is going on, if it is closer that 30 min.ride, i would take only one bass with me, if closer to an hour and more - 2 basses.

20. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Just take them all! And rotate your arsenal.

sawzalot likes this.