Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iamp 600 - The Forgotten EA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Apr 4, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned two of these babies over the years and hung onto one to use as a backup recently. I currently rotate between a Walter Woods Ultra and an Iamp 800 most of the time. But my band hosted a sit-in thing the other night so I broke out the old 600 and the EA CX310. What a surprise...

I forgot what a difference in sound this amp has compared to the 800! The 600 has major clarity, probably the best I've ever heard in that regard. Just almost clinically clean! Always a bit limited in headroom, it seemed to have no problem pumping out plenty of sound with the CX310 and an American P Bass. I had the input level set at about noon (with no pad) and the output was straight up, too. Effortless sounding, actually, with no strain or apparent lack of headroom. Tone is obviously quite a bit cleaner with everything set flat but, just like the 800, EQ options are numerous. Granted, the 800 is warmer and "fatter" but the 600 is just so articulate! And this is not with a fancy, high-end custom, active bass, either. We're talking a regular old '97 American Standard P Bass (great bass, BTW). I had forgotten how good this amp really is. It's a bit heavier than the 800, of course. But it sure seemed like the sonic equivalent of focusing a high-intensity light on your bass' natural tone. I could just hear every nuance of right hand inflections, dynamics, you name it.

Man, I'm glad I hung onto this amp...uh...Iamp! ;) Too bad the thing is discontinued! :( I might actually pick up another one...Oh Ebay... :D

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Boogie,
    Would that be the 500W white-faced Ashdown-made version or something else? :eyebrow: :confused:

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Huh? :eyebrow:

No, it's the 600 watt Euphonic Audio Iamp600, now discontinued. You are confused, bro! ;)

I'll try to dig up a pic for you...

It's white but unless I've seriously missed something, I know of no connection between Ashdown and EA! :)

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I knew there were a couple earlier versions before the newer versions came out... I have what I think is the original iamp on the way, due tomorrow actually.

It's white-faced and made by Ashdown for EA. Listed as 500W @ 4 Ohms on the back but not tagged on the front as the iamp 500 or 600, only as iamp. I wasn't sure if the 600 came before or after it. I assumed after.

Digging up info on any early iamps has been kind of hard. EA used to have an archive section but I couldn't get it to open... :meh:

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting! I had no idea anyone every made amps for EA. Learn something new every day, I guess. Here's a link to the old EA site with info. on the 600:

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=iamp600

The amp I have is definitely 600 watts into 4 ohms, just as depicted on this link.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just what I needed. GAS for more EA gear... :p

Actually, looking at that link, I don't see where it mentions power handling? :eyebrow:

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Same face as mine on the way although mine says 500W RMS and 1000W peak @ 4 Ohms (min. impedance) on the back.

Boogie, does yours have two fans on the back?

Tom, I figured you'd show up a tsome point! ;)

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Looks like they took the specs down, Tom. I'll post a pic of the rear of mine.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Never had it apart, no idea about the fan(s). I actually don't think it has a fan at all! :eyebrow:

Mine says:

600 watts RMS, 1800 watts peak on the back. It also says "Speaker output minium load = 4 ohms."

It also says "Manufactured in USA" and sports copyright owned by EA.

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Mine has two rear-mounted fans and says manufactured in (jolly ole) England as pictured above.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow will answer my most important question: How it sounds...

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's the back of mine. It has a fan (just turned it on and listened) but it's probably just one. My guess is there's some serious design differences between your Ashdown-manufactured amp and the 600 (That's not say yours won't be great, of course. Hope it is!). Anyway, here's the rear panel of the 600:

iamp 600 rear panel

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, the plot thickens! :p

14. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    The early iAmp 600 were in fact made by Ashdown. It should say made in England on the case. This is by no means an Ashdown sound a like.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Never ran across one. Both of the 600's I've owned were made in USA and the others I've seen (mostly at Bass Alone in San Diego when they were a popular amp for John D. in the early 00's) were all US-made, too.

Obviously, the amp Big Joe has acquired (clearly NOT an Iamp 600 but an Iamp) was made in England and looks like the first Iamp and the precursor for what would follow...but who knows? This mystery deepens by the minute...! :D

16. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    EA definately needs a good archive site. It's frustrating trying to find specs for products they no longer offer.

Look at this...
    http://www.euphonicaudio-eu.com/classics_iamp_600.aspx

Could they have just put a new faceplate on the American 600's? Still doesn't explain why his says 500w though.

17. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have the same one. Never really checked to see if it's made in England--I'll have to look. Based on the specs and the photo below, I'm sure it's the same.

It's a great amp. Unfortunately I don't know much about the history of this particular version.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Just as a point of fact. The 600 was never made in the UK. Only the original iamp (500 watts) was made in the UK, by Ashdown to EA's specs. All subsequent EA amps wer made in the US, by EA

As we redo the EA website, we will be adding back the Archive stuff. i just talked to the master webmaster Todd Vanselus ... and it will be done

Dimin

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's what I suspected. Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

20. I have an old white faced 500 like Big Joe....I will never buy another amp again! Im running this with a EA CXL-112L and a Lakland USA 55-94

Punch and clarity boys! :bassist: