Ibanez sr300 opinion??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marky0bass, May 28, 2018.

1. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Heya guy
    Been follow stuff on here for years getting opinions on different things so thought I should try my own

So I’ve got an fender USA standard p and Ibanez SR506 . I wanna sell the sr 506 but I’m thinking about getting the Ibanez sr300 as a kinda throw around bass if you will or save a wait for an SR500 ? What people opinions on it ?

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Buy a used sr800 made in Japan with the pj pickup configuration. Way better than sr300 or sr500

Bassist Jay likes this.
  3. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Thanks I’ll have a look into them . Do you know the going rate at the moment ? There’s an sr1000 in my local second hand for $1000 is that about what it’s worth

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Don’t pay more than 300usd for an 88-02 SR800. If you’re in USA there are plenty on guitar centers used site at any given time.

rallen likes this.
  5. tim68

tim68

Oct 16, 2013
    Harvest AL
    I would get the 500, because I can't stand the pickups in the newer 300 range...the ones with the exposed pole pieces ("Powerspan", or whatever they call them.) . I can not, for the life of me, get a good tone out of those pickups. I've tried. The 300s have some great body colors and whatnot, but those pickups are, IMO, awful. The Bartolinis in the 500s are a lot better. Also, the older SR300s with the "CAP" soapbar pickups sound much better to me.

Solarmist and j18 like this.
  6. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Thanks
    I live in Australia so must things are a bit more expensive unfortunately but that’s give me a good number to work off thanks

7. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Thanks
    That’s my main concern. I have the sr506 and the sound from the pick ups are amazing !! As far as I can tell the sr300 are made the same just cheaper pickups and pots . I’m gonna try one today tho and see how it goes any way .

8. BassplayinBob

BassplayinBob

Jan 8, 2016
    The SR300 is a great bass, good bang for your buck. Versatile, light and nice neck, BUT, very different than the P. Thin and unstable in our 4 season climate of the midwest. Nothing that a quick tweak of the truss won't fix, but the neck does move a bit with the weather. The worst thing about the SR300, imo, are the colors. Pretty superficial, but man, the new SR300's are ugly. Rock on! Grab a bunch of them and play em all.

9. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Yeah the colours are horrible ! I do love the sound of the sr500. Wondering how much of a difference the sr300 is . But really at the end of the day I could have every bass in the world still not be happy haha every one has it own little character that I seem to be able to find and love

10. BassplayinBob

BassplayinBob

Jan 8, 2016
    Yeah man, gear lust is a powerful thing. haha. For what it's worth, I'm wanting another P bass with round wounds to compliment my current flatwound setup. It never ends.

Marky0bass likes this.
  11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Keep the SR506 if she play nice and sound good to you.
    I bought a Ibanez SR300E with rosewood fret board a month ago. I love the stock powerspan pup sound and this bass have stable neck than my fren SR300 with CAP pup model.

Your are SR506 owner, so I skip to share about hardware and body material detail.
    The point you need to know is how she sound.
    Compare to SR500 MK1 pup series warmth tone bass, the new SR300E sound more punchy, louder but still keep some right amount of warmth.
    Another part I like with powerspan is no thin sound G compare to my previous MIK SR705 MK1 pup.
    The tap, power tap and series switch could create vary tone along with 3 band EQ.
    My favorite tone is Tap, with push around 30% of bass and treble, then drop the Mid around 20%, both pickup engage along with TiJF344, I get sweet Jazz bass tone. They are more bite in Tap than Power tap.
    I can get Dmarzio Ultra Jazz pup like sound on powertap mode with just drop the MID to 30%.
    Honestly, the series tone is too hot and sound muddy for me, but I can get sexy Thunderbird neck pup solo sound on series mode, only neck pup and just drop the MID 30% , play hook-finger with some finger nail on top of the neck pickup. Cool...... but not always get match with most song.

The preamp tone adjust is different than MK1 preamp, the SR300E preamp bass and treble knob work like booster , the MID work fine without increase or decrease output.

I love this bass match with Tijf344 than GHS PW, Daddario EXL165 and fender 7250m.

Hopehelp.

ReedyBass likes this.
  12. Ibanez SR300. I am not a Musician. I have fooled around with guitar since HS. I am 60 years old. Too lazy to dedicate enough time to really learn to be a musician, and life experiences that, combined, made me a gear whore and a slacker. Perspective. However, I do enjoy noodling around with my iPod and playing along with my favorite bands.

In 2010, I decided that I wanted to explore the bass. I learned much about the bass in the following years. Electronics, necks, frets, pups, controls, etc. I modded the hell out of it and made it my own. However, the dreaded gas affliction grabbed me by the nards. Ooooh.... a new shiny toy caught my interest, over and over again. Getting to my point, I sold the beloved instrument. I have owned and still own too many basses. AM Pbass's, Jazz's, and many others that I still enjoy. But, I regret selling the Ibanez.

13. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    Thanks for the input I’m off to give one a go I’ll give your suggestions a try see how she sounds .

14. Marky0bass

Marky0bass

May 28, 2018
    I do love the Ibanez sound and was set on buying one at all cost but then a shinny holiday idea came along and now the bank account not as good as it was . So now it’s I want that amazing Ibanez sound but do I go hey look shinney sr300 or wait and be patient and get the Bette sr500

15. j18

j18

Dec 4, 2018
    i have an sr300, the model that have the 3 band EQ, volume and pickup mixer and the cap pickups, very nice bass, versatile, very comfortable, and very light, with a good equalization, you can get very good tones in almost every amp, the neck pick up is just perfect, is a nice deal, now i'm looking for a p bass, just to try it, but in general the sr 300 is a very nice bass (sorry for my english, i'm from chile)

16. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I have seen a few SR 800’s online and in really nice shape. Excellent basses too! I have seen them on reverb.com, ebay.com, guitarcenter.com, and I think even musictrader.com

I bought one new in 1995 and sold it to one of my youth kids in I think 1998 or 1999. He still owns it too. A few months back, I found the basses twin, another 1995 SR 800 in metallic blue, that was still in brand new shape. I pulled the trigger on it and haven’t regretted my decision. I also used to own a 1993 SR 400 in candy apple red. Ironically, I found its twin this past week and it is being shipped to me now. I also own a 1994 and 1995 pair of SR 500’s that I bought new. I had at one time a 2007 20th Anniversary 20th 5 Soundgear bass and a 2012 SR 500. Those late 80’s to very early 2000’s Soundgear basses were so much better that the current Soundgear basses. The only one that I wish that I had back again was my 2007 20th Anniversary. I would pay a Kings ransom to have that bass back again.

Here is the SR 800 that I just bought a few months back.
    B88EC0D5-DF9E-4D19-B9E5-A322016CF283.jpeg
    839C88D6-E347-4735-8408-C6029BFAC169.jpeg

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get the SR1000
    Worth it!

18. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    I love that blue sr800

Bassist Jay likes this.
  19. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Thank you hypercarrots. I bonded with this one pretty quickly.

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Which sr1000? There were some different ones