1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I prefer neck thinner than Spector, what to try?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M Sharp, Jun 3, 2014.

1. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    I have two Spector Rebops. One 5 string Euro I believe from the 90s, and a Rebop 5MM. I love them. But the more I play other basses, I find I prefer and am more comfortable with a thin neck and tighter string spacing.
    I mostly play rock, hard rock, metal. I like bottom with mid-punch. Not a warm bottom like Jamerson.
    I have been getting nice growl lately in my personal practicing
    If I am considering a change, is the Sterling the way to go? Or should I test drive something else? I do prefer the 24 frets. But the neck and string spacing is more important.
    I may even stay where I'm at at the end of the day.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Should have mentioned I also have an LTD B415. That feels very nice, but the quality and tone don't really hold up to the Spectors. I like 35" scale, but don't mind 34". It just feels small on me at first.

3. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Anyone?

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Spector US
    Sterling
    Ibanez SR
    Warwick Germany (especially the late 90s models with the all wenge neck)
    Fender Jazz 24

5. Go try an Ibby SR5; the 45mm nut w/19.5mm thickness @ the 1st fret neck is pure perfection, and they are active w/3-band EQs, Bart pu's plus a mid freq switch (SR505 models & up).

The SR505 & 605 are a really good buy.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

MTD. Super thin and asymmetrical. I gigged a 535 and a USA Spector together for a while. Both sounded great but the MTD neck is to die for IMO.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Spector's Doug Wimbish signature model has a much smaller, Jazz style neck. When Stuart Spector was carving the neck on Wimbish's original NS-2 back in the eighties, he was concerned about the neck being too thin but Doug insisted on it.

8. The Ian Hill neck is thinner, too. Personally, I've never found a Spector neck that feels like a baseball back...but I've played plenty of Fenders that did.

D.A.R.K. likes this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV.
    Some people say the neck is too thin.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    The Spector Rex 5 Pro (made in Korea) bass has a very thin neck.

11. M Sharp

M Sharp

May 24, 2013
    NJ
    Thank you all so much.
    Each responde will be researched and considered.

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Any of the US or Czech Spectors can be custom ordered with thin necks...the production models with thin necks are the Alex Webster, Doug Wimbish, and Ian Hill signature models (of the two four strings the Wimbish is thinner at the nut and the Hill is thinner front to back) and Rex Pro; they also all have 24 frets, which a Sterling does not, and the Sterling also has wider string spacing.

All of those Spector models are killer and definitely have the punch, growl, bottom and neck profile that you're looking for; if it's just the neck profile you're looking to change from the Rebop I'd check out those models before jumping ship to another brand with very different (though great in their own right) tones.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    M Sharp likes this.
  13. ChristoMephisto

ChristoMephisto

Sep 4, 2011
    Vintage Hagstroms have super slim necks.

14. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    I can only think of the 5 or 6 string Ibanez SR. Perhaps an old wenge neck Warwick. Everything else either has thicker necks or wider string spacing.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    USA Spector
    Carvin

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    And don't forget, with the right funds Alembic will make a neck to any spec you want.

17. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas

You might want to note an ns-94/5 and ns2k4/5 also have the narrow string spacing and are not very thick front to back. If you can find one of those basses and upgrade the electronics, you pretty much have yourself a euro. All maple bodies and neck through. I shouldn't be telling my secrets about them, but they are fantastic basses and you can find them fairly cheap as well. I'll add a clip of mine so you can hear it upgraded. The description tells what I have done to her.

LowEZ and MDBass like this.
  18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Narrow spacing? Ibanez.
    Thinnest necks? Zon.

If you aren't happy with your spectors, you won't like an EBMM.

Maxdusty likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Other than Ibanez, the one other bass I think that has narrow spacing and a pretty thin neck at that is the Fender MB5 (not the Squier version). This is a MIJ Fender but resembles an Ibanez. 1 3/4" nut. 5/8" string spacing.

mb5.

M Sharp likes this.