If you weren't a Bass Player...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by NZBassman, Apr 29, 2019.

1. What other instrument would you play?

for me it would be the drums.... when I was 10 my parents suggested I learn the cello - which I did for 6 years along with the clarinet, but when I was 13 I met a boy at my high school who played the drums and that was it...

I remember going home from school that day and saying to my parents at dinner time "I'm gonna learn to play the drums"! - my dad replied "not in this house you're not"! and that was it - my dreams of becoming the next Keith Moon or John Bonham were quickly extinguished.

my friend at school sat me at the drums one day and said your right hand goes here, left hand here and you use your feet to control the kick drum and hi-hats... and it just somehow came naturally to me and I found I could play the drums, but I knew my dad and no actually meant no.... so when I was 15 I picked up the only bass at school (it was right handed and I'm a leftie) and because I could read music I just figured out the notes and began to teach myself to play right handed.

I got my first bass when I was 17/18 and began to leach myself to play U2 songs (this was the 1980's) but when I tried to learn other songs I found it difficult - then I learnt that U2 had 'tuned down' a half step on their first 3-4 albums and I had tuned my bass to the key of U2's first albums!

anyway I've been playing bass ever since and when I was about 22 my originals band broke up and I realised my dreams of playing at Wembley or Madison Square garden had all but diminished and I needed the day job to pay for rent / food..etc... I then joined my first covers band - we got paid 2 pizza's and a bottle of Jim Beam for our first gig and got paid $25 each for our next gig - I thought I had got it made!

I still play the drums if any of the drummers I play with will let me jump on their kit for a bit and I've always said to my wife that if we win the lottery I'll buy a big house in the countryside and buy a kick ass drum kit - like Alex Van Halen uses on the video for 'Jump'.

So if you weren't a bass player - what instrument would you play instead?

Mr_Moo, Ggaa, Bobro and 5 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Drums! I finally have a full set again in my jam room. I'll be working on it this Summer.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The pan flute...

... all, across the land, would call me...

... Furry Curry Zim Zam.

4. I play rhythm guitar well and l love it, can’t solo though.

I can sing lead vocals in a pinch but I’m a lousy frontman.

I enjoyed playing solo piano as a child, especially classical pieces. Helped me heaps with reading treble & bass clefs, but I enjoy playing bass in a group far more though.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  5. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Well, I play guitar, mandolin and percussion as well as bass. But my uncle and my step- father were both drummers, and I think I could have done okay on drums.

I played cornet for 3 years in middle school. I was last chair. I was so bad, they had to add some empty chairs Before they got to me.....

6. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    After getting burnt out playing in bands and gigging some years back I taught myself finger picking acoustic guitar. Got really good at it but realized I was sitting home by myself LOL. That transitioned into a great acoustic duo with my wife.

A

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I've played a dozen instruments over the course of my meager music career. But you can't get a gig playing the baritone horn. I should've stuck to my piano lessons.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

G19Tony, Mr_Moo, Bobro and 6 others like this.
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Keys if I was good enough. I can play drums well enough to gig, but much prefer bass.

Mr_Moo, EatS1stBassist and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I started out as a singer so I'd probably be a singer. I can play a little piano, so maybe that.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I play acoustic guitar as well as playing keys. And play these in different projects. I’m a singer, too. If I were going to add something new it’d be electronic drums. I just don’t have room for a kit. Besides, the world doesn’t need another half-baked drummer.

11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I would play the Radio ;)

Mr_Moo, Bobro, megarat and 21 others like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I played guitar for many years and have dabbled with fiddle, banjo and mandolin. I doubt I could ever play any of them well enough for a gigging band. I've recently gottten back into playing piano and loving it. Pretty sure I could get good if took the time.

Mr_Moo, EatS1stBassist and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    I'd sing. would love keys, but have no skills with those yet. Also like to mix some electronic music.

Mr_Moo, EatS1stBassist and teh-slb like this.
  14. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'd probably still play lead guitar - but that was then, this is now!

15. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    it would be nothing. I tried a bunch of instruments and none spoke to me. zero nada nothing.

the moment I touched and realized what a bass was there was no other instrument

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I started on drums, than guitar and settled on bass, if I wasn't a bass player I would be an accordion player in a Tejano, Tex Mex or Nortena band because they get all the womenz!!:woot:

Mr_Moo, Bobro, EatS1stBassist and 2 others like this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Having hauled gear around for decades, I have decided that, in my next life, I'm coming back as a piccolo player. Don't worry, in this life I started on violin, and was tough enough to not get beat up at the bus stop, so I can handle the downsides.

18. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    Hammond organ. I’ve tried to learn over the years but never got very far. I even owned 3 of them for awhile. I sorta know how to play bass after 40 years but there’s certainly the possibility of getting better at that so i’m sticking.

19. Bikingbasser

Bikingbasser

Oct 2, 2018
    LaSalle
    I started on keys, so would prolly go back to keys.

Mr_Moo, EatS1stBassist and Holdsg like this.
  20. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    If I were to devote as much time to another instrument as I have the bass, it would definitely be the Hammond B-3 organ. To my ears, the coolest sound besides the bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021