1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm letting my Bass Player subscription lapse.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have 30 years of BP and I just don't feel the need for it anymore. I can get everything I need right here at TB. Well, not everything.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Let it die

NigelD and TN WOODMAN like this.
  3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Did a LONG time ago when their ad content started becoming bloated compared to actual content of useful bass playing information.

cdef, nixdad, tlc1976 and 21 others like this.
  4. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Such a shame about BP. When Tom Mulhern was at the helm it was one of the finest music-related publications at the time. It held on for a little while after his departure but hasn't had any relevance in years. Whatever itch I have for bass related news is scratched by No Treble on Facebook these days.

This can be blamed on the decline of interest in print magazines overall, but not all of it. I tried to give BP a second chance a while back, but the digital subscription app was so buggy and impossible to navigate that I just gave up.

Low84, TheDayMan, Afc70 and 3 others like this.
  5. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I had a subscription back in the early 90s. Then I had it again when I went to Bass Player live. My problem with it is that they have a super narrow view of what interests bass players.

cdef, nixdad, Element Zero and 6 others like this.
  6. Me too, but for different reasons.

The magazine has become predictable and really-really... boring.

Even the ads are in the exact place, in the exact same order in nearly every issue.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I read my brother's Guitar Player mags when he was finished with them and picked up a few issues of Bass Player when it first hit, but that was all of Bass Player mag i ever wanted. I knew a guy back then who pretty much summed up my feelings about Bass Player. He said he picked up two copies a month, one to poopie on and one to cover it up with.

Kitsapbass likes this.
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Horribly written. I've give them a chance every few years, but it just gets worse and worse.

HeavyJazz likes this.
  9. MattOfSweden

MattOfSweden Playing for time Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Let it lapse several years ago when it I realized it was much more rewarding to read through old issues - I have all issues from #1 until 2002'ish. Much better writing, much better content and less percentage filled with ads. Have renewed my subscription a few times but to no avail.

Bass Gear Magazine on the other hand is fantastic!

cdef, FilCo, BluesyCat and 3 others like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Somewhere in this house I have #1 and the cover is signed by Billy Sheehan. Saw him at the G3 show in Raleigh some years back and took it for him to sign. He got a good laugh at the picture and his own hair.

Haven't read an issue in years. I forget what turned me off to it.

11. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Gave it up years ago Never miss it.

12. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Printed media is dying. We should let it.

CaseyJ, TN WOODMAN and red_rhino like this.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had every issue, from the first till about 2 years ago. When they started reviewing basses that were all ridiculously priced for months on end, they lost me on the last thing that kept my interest. Because I had every issue from the first, it was a really tough decision to make.

Like @alack said. I never miss it. I stopped reading it long before I stopped my subscription.

At one time I felt the magazine cared about their readers. I think they stopped caring many years ago, and they just started trying to keep their heads above water with whatever advertising money they could get. Same players reviewed year after year, gear that nobody could afford or would ever want to buy, they even stopped interacting with people here which I don't think was the greatest idea. They used to chime in whenever anyone had any kind of issues, thoughts, suggestions. Ya know, now that I think about it, I think I started losing interest when Bill Leigh left... I know that was a long long time ago, but think also that that guy had something special going on.

I think it's sad that the mag is tanking, but I think it's inevitable - for all print magazines.

nixdad, jim nolte, TalHaz and 3 others like this.
  14. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I read one occasionally while waiting for my coffee at Barnes and Noble.

videomagician and Helix like this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I ended my sub several years ago too. I got tired of seeing the same handful of players as the cover story over and over. I also found that the gear reviews had devolved into 2 page advertisements for the product they were "reviewing". A new issue would arrive and it would sit on my desk for 3 months before I read it.

The one music rag I get now is Vintage Guitar, but I only read it for the articles....;)

It saddens me that printed media like this is becoming scarce. There's something about having an actual magazine that I can sit down and read while enjoying a scotch in peace and quiet.

seang15, cdef, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    When BP began I used to praise it for being unlike GP. GP at the time had this "if you don't have the newest thing you..."
    BP was mature.
    Then the reviews started being less than critical.
    Then the articles and covers kept repeating. How many times are you going to have Charlie Haden and Flea on the cover before we'd notice? :)
    I loved the inclusion of bassists of every genre. But it all got tired. No one wanted my back issues, they got recycled.

MobileHolmes, Gearhead17 and ONYX like this.
  17. British mag Bass Guitar Magazine is better. And BP is about $17000Au out here. . Give or take!
    But the Bass Guitar mag from UK is under $10 here in Australia
    Better quality too. They review some interesting gear too.
    Imo....ime...iirc. ..ymmv... but, it's still after ya hear about it on here. ..most times.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Bassngtr likes this.
  18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    I haven't bought BP in the last decade and I think I have like 2 years of BP I'm not sure.

Never been into gear that much and didn't care for bass player either as I was in school

19. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

You are all correct.
    I stopped buying it regularly at least 5 years ago. Everytime I give it another chance, I'm dissapointed and wish I'd saved my money.
    I still have lots of back issues that were way better.
    Bass Gear Magazine is so much better. There's actual articles to read and has a classy feel to to the touch.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    BluesyCat, tombowlus and MattOfSweden like this.
  20. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    When Roberts left, that was the end. Each year since has become more embarrassing.

I question the literacy of those presently contributing – or if they actually ‘play’ bass. Ronald McDonald-dyed hair and Cameroon, ear hoops don’t exactly make you an authority on gear, practice strategies or a viable music critic.

Thank God for TalkBass…

nixdad, Kitsapbass, Afc70 and 2 others like this.