1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm so never getting drunk again

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, so I'm nineteen, and until a few days ago I had never known what it was like to be drunk. My friend and I went to visit a buddy at college on Thursday, with plans to intoxicate ourselves. I wanted to do it up right and not just get a little buzzed, so I downed seven shots of vodka in 40 minutes and waited for it to slam me in the face. Sure enough, it did. I gotta say, the feeling of being drunk was pretty nice- I was relaxed and a bit numb and found any kind of conversation extremely fascinating. Now for the reason I'm not doing it again. I actually didn't feel sick or throw up or get a headache or anything, but the day after was the strangest day of my life. Sense of navigation, gone. I was walking around my own house having no idea where I was. I couldn't think, and I couldn't even have conversation and answer simple questions. Ten minutes felt like an hour and everything that had happened just moments ago felt like some distant memory. Even though I hung out with friends and had fun that day, it was probably one of the worst days I've had, just because I completely killed my ability to think. So from now on I'm just sticking with the occasional cigar and that'll do it for me just fine.

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've heard this line from many people. You say that you'll never having another alcoholic drink, but you should remember that there's a difference between having a drink and getting drunk. Though many people don't understand, there is a difference between drinking and getting drunk.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I don't get drunk. I went to a show at a bar and had 2. That's usually about the most I have anymore. Being drunk is not that fun.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI

No, I didn't mean I'm not drinking again, I just meant I'm not getting drunk again. I guess the last sentence is a little misleading. Make that the occasional cigar and maybe a casual drink.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A line uttered by many, including myself, at some point in our collective lives.

Just remember, a time and a place for everything.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    hahaha if I had a dollar for every time I said that i'd be a rich man

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Well I suppose only time will tell. I've made it a whole two days so far.

8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    if I had a drink for eveytime I heard that......
    .....well you get the idea.

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If I were to drink for a reason other than just my own free will to do so- being at a party, with friends, other people doing it, games, competitions, whatever- I've had about a hundred opportunities to do so in those occasions. The reason I did it this time was because I just needed (well, wanted) to know what it was like. Now I know, and I don't long for more of it at all. If I could choose not to do it before I can still do that. I think it'd actually be easier to pass it up now because there's no curiosity; I've been there and done that and I don't like it.

10. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Consider it your first lesson in moderation.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can have fun without having a drink. You can relax and unwind without having a drink as well.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, at least you've decided to spare your liver and brain (which apparently has suffered some damage already). Now you just need to start working on saving the soft tissues of your mouth (where the food goes in) and lungs. Look up the mouth cancer rates for cigar smokers. You won't look so hot when they have to take off half your face to save your life, and chicks just don't dig that anyway.

13. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm talking like two or three cigars a year.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hopefully one of the three won't be the one that gives you cancer of the soft palate.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Yeah! How dare he enjoy himself at the detriment of his body! Preposterous! We should all be so chaste.

:rolleyes:

16. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA

So I've read and heard from some of my professors that having a negative outlook on life can kill you quicker than moderate smoking.
    ....gains and losses.

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    If he only kills himself with it why just don't let him have his cigar?

18. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    "Eveything in moderation -- including moderation" -- some wise guy

Gotta agree with Munji on the tobacco issue. That's a slippery one - be careful. I finally quit after 30+ years of THAT nonsense.

19. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    But on the plus side it makes you look cool.
    Just look at Jimmy Dean, he smoked and he looked cool.
    And smoking didn't kill him; a tree did.

20. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    LOL, lightweight. Seriously I hate vodka, or any shots straight. I like to enjoy the taste of what I drink. Vodka has the worst buzz, and hangover. Personally I think jack daniels and coke is a gift from god.