1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Ear Monitors: Problems with Fit

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by perfektspace6, Mar 25, 2009.

1. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I did a search on this but most of what I found seemed to be related to quality issues and "which is better" type questions.

Recently switched to an in-ear setup and it is quite an adjustment. They sound great but I am having trouble getting the earpieces to fit well and as a result they lose their seal and also fall out from time to time during practice. I think this is largely due to them being pulled back as I move. I have tried different size "rubber pieces" to keep them stable but to no avail. Unfortunately I cannot afford custom molds and my budget is around $100.

I was thinking that buying a new set of earphones might help with the fit. Any suggestions for brands that have a plastic piece that wraps around the ear or other suggestions to help out? :confused:

2. kettch

kettch

Jan 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    What earbuds are you currently using that aren't fitting? I've used the Shure buds personally and mixed for people using Ultimate Ears buds (haven't had a chance to try them personally yet) with no problems.

3. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The 2 people I play with that use them said they had the same problem and got custom molded earbuds or plugs or whatever they are. One of those 2 people believes they intentionally make them so ya gotta go out and upgrade. I forgot his reasoning. If you're interested in what they did I can get more info, if not... then that's my $.02 on the matter. :) Good luck.

5. kettch

kettch

Jan 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do you have them looped over your ear like the pic on this page?

http://www.microphonesolutions.com/coandreofshi.html

As far as them pulling when you walk around, try feeding the earbud cord under your shirt and tighten up the sliding part close to, but not all the way up to your neck. I had the same problem you are for a while until I got my previous statement down to a science so that it wouldn't get caught on my strap or cables anything else.

Other than that, the only buds I found with clips are these but I've never heard of anyone using them.

The other option is to get custom molds made by an audiologist...the molds themselves are cheap but the visit to the audiologist might be pricy.

6. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    You should be able to buy replacement foamies for it. I can look it up when I get back to the shop tomorrow, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just buy the next size up from the ones that come with it and it should fit better.
    email me so I can remember to look it up.

If you are ever in the Orlando area, give me a ring. I have a custom mold supplier here that doesn't charge for molding and I can get a single driver molded phone for around $130.

take care
    Gil
    gil@eartsinc.com

7. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I do the loop over the ear and go under the shirt since I change basses a few times. Mine don't have a sliding part so they just hang slack and it doesn't look like my bandmates do either. That might be part of the problem. I know these aren't the best but they should have that as a feature. I will have to see if I can buy that piece separately.

Joe Nerve: thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one having an issue with these. If you get a chance to ask let me know what remedies your friend(s) had.

8. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Thank for the offer Gil. Too bad my travels don't take me to the Orlando area. I currently have the rubberish type of replaceable earpieces so I might give the foams a try. Guessing I can pick those up at the local shop. As popular as these things are there has to be a way to make it fit more comfortably.

Thanks to for all the responses guys.

9. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    You are probably going to need to spend some time tweaking your earbuds to fit. Try some different tips, (I've never had any luck with the rubbery type). Also, you may need to adjust to the fit of in-ears. They need to really go IN your ear. Iv'e seen quite a few people with the earpieces just barely in the ear canal, they need to go into your ear pretty far. A lot of people are uncomfortable with something jammed that far into their ear, but that is how they are meant to be worn. If you get custom tips, they should pretty much automatically go into your ear canal deep enough.
    By the way, I use these foamies, with my FutureSonics M5's. They are really comfy, and they are closed-cell foam, so you can wash them.

10. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Well, the E2's have a bigger footprint and there fore may be an issue if you have small ears. Our Drummer was using E2's and because he has small ears they could not get a good "fit" and would fall out so he bought a set of M-Audio dual drivers and they work fine. He also used E1's with the foam ends and they fit fine too.

11. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I think the rubber style tips may be part of the problem. I am going to get some foams as suggested by F-clef and see if that helps.

Interesting to know the E2's are a bit bigger. If I continue to have problems I will look into the M Audio's.

12. ...I like mine w/o a tight fit...I got used to Boze buds (newer version) which are generally looser yet they don't fall out. In part I think it's what you get used to...since they're loose enough to where I can hear ambient noise, which I like. I agree the stock Shure ones w/rubber tips don't fit right and want to back-out of your ear.

Hope you find something around 100 bucks that you can make work, otherwise you can spend hundreds of dollars on these things with the sponge tips, etc...:eek:

Jimbob