1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Iphone 5 $800!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by VitalSigns, Aug 2, 2012.

1. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    There are some rumors going around that the new iPhone5 is going to be $800. I'm not sure if any official information has been released yet.
    I have yet to get a smartphone and have this old POS that doesn't even stay on. I was planning on getting the iPhone5 when it comes out, but if this rumor is true.. well there goes that idea.

How do you guys feel about paying $800 for a phone?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I will never buy an Apple product because their pricing is not based on material and functional value, but based on hype and trendy hipsters who want to remain as hip as possible. This is just another example.

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    If the battery life rumors are true....count me in. Also, for the record, I'm not a hipster, nor do I care about being trendy ;-)

4. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Wellllll, don't let that scare you. The brand new no-contract price on a 3G was also about $500, and the 4s at $649. All good smart phones are really expensive, and in general most of what you pay on a cell phone plan with a smart phone is really financing.

I turned in a claim back when State Farm had to cover smart phone because of some poorly-worded language in their Personal Articles policy. When the 3g that I got refurbed from AT&T for $50 got busted, they had to pay the full non-contract replacement price, so I got a $500 check. State Farm has since amended that policy. The lost double what they took in.

I would guess with a contract it will probably be $250-$300 for the first few months. I'm always a couple of years behind, so it doesn't bother me.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't get it. Why create a thread on speculation when the truth will be revealed in a month?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Apple will have people lined up around the block at stores across the world to buy the new iPhone no matter what price they charge for it.

-Mike

7. When Apple applied for a phone patent, I purchased shares - it was trading at $82. Today it's looking to close above $600.

I will never complain about paying too much for Apple products.

8. I'm sure my brother is going to buy one. He's really into anything from Apple. I, on the other hand, will make my rent payment and bills instead of buying a new smartphone.

9. Not hugely more than it cost for the last one, heck, with conversion rate its probably about right.

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Same as it ever was really, and you gotta admit it's a pretty tech piece. Not for me unless it totally blows everything outta the water upon release, but yeah, via contract they are cheaper.

I am no Apple zealot, and agree on some points, but the blind hate towards them as an entity astounds me.

11. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

May 8, 2011
    Central NY
    Because... Uh.. why not?

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This is a very well thought-out and certainly 100% accurate statement.

bc

13. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I won't because I don't fully use the 4s that I have now. A smart phone is just not that important to me.

14. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    $800 has always been the price for a new iPhone in Australia.

Deal with it :p:D

15. The same is true for most "lifestyle" products: clothing, cars, certain foods, many other types of electronics devices, even cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, airlines, and so on. Apple is just more successful at promoting their product than some others.

16. It does look pretty sweet though:

[​IMG]

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Considering that the spec isn't known yet.... This is all rumor, innuendo and well...bs. 9/12 sounds to be the date we will know if it is the iPhone 5 .. Or the smaller, cheaper, kindle competitive iPad....til then it's just bs...

Far as the price of Apple products. No complaints here. They tend to work better that their competition's do and their support has been fantastic. This from a died in the wool intel since CP/M guy...

18. Couldn't agree more (from another Intel PC/windows guy)...what too many Apple-haters (which BTW, can also be considered as trying to be "hip and trendy") fail to realise is that Apple did it first in an elegant fashion in the opinions of many and it's not the first time (Lisa, iPod, iPad) and most importantly, they do it consistently year after year...in other words, unlike countless other phone manufacturers who radically change their OS and layout as the seasons go (which annoyed me for almost a decade pre-iphone), an iphone 1 user could pick up a 4S and still be at home...yea they add new features but the core design remains the same.

Furthermore, when your business (whether personal, professional or both) requires you to stay connected constantly and efficiently, you don't have time to relearn the intricacies of a new device when the old one wears thin...when you go to a car dealership to trade up, they don't take you over to the helicopter showroom...:rolleyes:

However all of this pales in comparison to the mere fact that it's a fully featured personal computer/jukebox/telephone/organizer/portable game console the size of a card deck that's voice activated and does it all like a boss...if your former 1980's self could hear some of you talk, they'd tell you Apple got robbed by at least $2000 easy :D

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm a former PC/Windows guy, and current Apple convert. Not a Koolaid-drinking Apple zombie - just another convert who looked at the cost/benefit ratio...and was easily sold.

I'm not going to spend time touting all the many benefits of buying into the Apple platform - others more experienced & knowledgeable can do that far better than I. Suffice it to say that the quality of Apple product design & engineering speaks for itself. :cool:

By the way, I WILL purchase an iPhone 5 - as soon as the time is right (perhaps early next year). And I'll be getting an unlocked phone - because I simply can't trust AT&T or Verizon to treat me right as a customer. I expect to pay at least $800...and will consider it money well-spent.

MM

20. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As is probably true with the clothes and footwear that you're wearing. Way more markup there. And not based on any additional material or functional value.