1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it just me or ...? Neo content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by audiorep2, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Neo is showing up in the Powersoft M-Force moving magnet subwoofers
    The magnet is moving and the coil is steady. it makes more sense to have a lightweight magnet.
    All the heat sinking is done on the permanent coil side, but they have to also cool the magnet.

The new portable tool trend is "brushless" motors where the neo magnets rotate and coil is static. The big thing here is wear and tear, and also better torque control.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Magswitch has switchable permanent magnets.
    Switchable Permanent Magnets - Magswitch

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to make a gizmo to attach to the driver vent to allow adjustment of the magnetic field. Eminence might be doing this now with their guitar drivers. They Allow people to change the sound by adjusting the magnetic field. Playing with magnets on the driver would be a hack, and it may sound different, but sounding better one way or the other is subjective. The real goal of sounding right, and getting the most from the driver and magnet is what engineering and design are about.

3. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I’ll tell a little story. I too got a little too comfortable at one point with relying on the great FOH systems that populate all of the venues that I played at the time. Sure, I had a rig, but it was geared really for monitoring situations. Everything was great… until one of my guitarists decided to follow love 900 miles away – effectively putting the band on indefinite hiatus.

What’s a musician to do? So I started searching for my next project, which involved a number of auditions. I still remember showing up to that first audition with those cabs that were excellent monitors, but that really couldn’t bring home the bacon so-to-speak. The audition went relatively well (I was the one that decided not to move forward), but the fact that I didn’t feel I was putting my best foot forward tone-wise killed me a little bit. At that very instant I immediately began obsessing over amps and cabs, eventually landing on the rig that I currently use and love.

Moral of the story? My current cab is a neo.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

delta7fred, ctmullins and murphy like this.
  4. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I stand corrected.

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Problem solved ;).

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSigdrtctLrTm08elzwtC71IFtK7IgkBpRQbMDZnSts7Y3P4gUd4JtMWdsUekw&usqp=CAc.

mmbongo and NOVAX like this.
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Isn't there usually a cup holder above the mixing board?

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Under the console attached to the drive rack ;)

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I use old cabs. Bag End and an Eden but
    use a Class D amp. Tempted by neo cabs but
    hate to drop the old cabs.
    So far I really like Mesa Subway.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    People like to hold on to what they know. I'm surprised we ever made it out of caves.

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    In my experience, few drunks can resist the allure of the dog house. Surely all of that flat space is meant to hold their drinks and lit cigarettes...probably the source of a few good bar fights :blackeye:.

SoulReflection likes this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They won't let me anywhere near the mixing board :(

monsterthompson likes this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Damn these stone tools.

Rightfully stolen from Far Side.

chris_b likes this.
  13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The doghouse also serves as a good barricade in an emergency situation ;)

14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    With really big mixing console you can hide in the dog house and pop out like a Jack in the Box...oops, I meant Ninja.

Korladis, BadExample and agedhorse like this.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's just you.

delta7fred and BadExample like this.
  16. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Just asking, but are the powerhouse cabs loaded with neos? Also, you wouldn’t happen to have a handle on the efficiency, and frequency range on the 2-10 and 4-10 cabs? I was on the Mesa web site and has some trouble locating that info. Thanks.

DB

17. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Just curious: Is there any reason to care what materials were used in making the speakers before you listen to them? (It's a troll question, I'm sure but it nags at me.)

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hemp.

Wisebass, Korladis and agedhorse like this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No they are loaded with ceramic drivers. I don't have that exact information with me, but I think the 210 is about 96.5dB/1W/1M average sensitivity. I don't recall the other specs, but if call customer service on Monday, they can find out for you. My lab is in a different location from manufacturing and support.

Wisebass and Korladis like this.
  20. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I didn't put JBLs in my cab because I play doom, and would be worried about wrecking vintage drivers. I don't use NOS tubes for the same reason.

RoadRanger likes this.