Is it wrong to put fender decals on a warmoth neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Aug 5, 2009.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i mean it is licensed by fender.. and the body is fender.. if one was to sell it on just be honest about it.. i just dont dig the blank headstock look, for what its worth its a wenge(or similar) neck too :bag:

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yes. It's called copyright infringement. Or false advertising. Take your pick.

If Fender wanted their decal on a Warmoth neck they would have had Warmoth put it on.

3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    It's a Warmoth, not a Fender...Warmoth has decals available. There are enough "bootleg" Fenders in the world IMHO :smug:

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    er, How about a Big F??
    copyright my bollox, like some law suit is gonna hit you cause you get reported for it, we dont even use the word law suit here :meh:
    i mean am i gonna lose sleep because i dont have a law abiding bass, or will i just settle for a great looking one

Warmoth decals are fkn god awful...

5. If you're just playing it yourself i'd say do whatever floats your boat.

But if you're using it to get a higher price from selling it... not a bro move at all.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Well, consediring its an *Officialy Licenced Replacement Fender Part* and going on a Fender, I'd not see a problem.

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    well its just gonna say fender it wont have any serial number or be in anyway traceable to any sort of value :bassist:

8. If that Fender decal makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside then by all means slap it on there! Don't worry about what anyone else tells you, it's your bass and you payed for it, do what it takes to make YOU happy.

9. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Why not make your own personalized decal??...If you use a Fender decal....it's still a "bootleg" Fender, doesn't matter that your in a different country.

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it wasn't being done to get a higher price out of it. In all honesty though, I'd just keep the neck blank that way you don't have ignorant gui****s and drummers walking up and looking at your neck to see if it's American or whatever.... it's a rant but nothing ticks me off more than that. No one gives my Bongo that kind of treatment or an Ibanez that treatment but a Fender immediately gets the lurking stare to determine place of manufacturer. Shoot a Lakland Skyline wouldn't even draw that kind of stare.

Enough of my rant. I would just leave it blank.... :)

comatosedragon likes this.
  11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    but whats the problem with it being a "bootleg" fender in your opinion???

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Only if you try and sell it as a real Fender.

13. You have violated my civil rights and assaulted my human dignity w/this thread. You have put permanent pictures of a heinous series of crimes in my head & I must now sue you for all the money in the world. :)

14. I will say;

I had a "fender" P bass with an unknown/blank neck that the previous owner slaped a Fender logo on. Since it just said "Fender" and had no accompanying rig-a-ma-roll i just got teased because of it :bawl:

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland

LMAO!! :smug::smug: i get that all the time, one guy went

"thats fake they dont make fenders in japan"

my P headstock sorts that problem thou
    P5110038.gif

ya sure speed limits are there too but we dont all play by those rules.. and warm and fuzzy is appealing too :bassist:

16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Do it. Do it. [/Ben Stiller]

17. John Webb

John Webb Guest

Apr 20, 2006
    straight to Hell...........no Purgatory for you!

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Do it. Anybody who thinks that it's a stock Fender with a wenge neck is really not worth your time.

19. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    +1 :bassist:

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I re-read the OP... for some reason I had read it the first time that both the body and the neck were Warmoth products. If the body is a real Fender I guess putting a Fender decal on the headstock isn't such a huge deal... still don't feel 100% good about it but it doesn't strike me as bad as before.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021