Is it wrong to put fender decals on a warmoth neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Aug 5, 2009.

1. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    This is what I was thinking. If it doesn't appear to be a genuine Fender decal, people will be telling you it's a fake. When you tell them you put the decal on, you will most likely have to have this discussion again. It doesn't seem worth it. You said you don't like the blank headstock look, but do you really need to put a Fender logo on there? Warmoth has some classy looking decals. I am sure you could get a custom decal made, paint or brand something, or just put a cool sticker up there.

2. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Your question is "Is it wrong to put Fender decals on a Warmoth neck ?" ..it is a copyright infringement in North America.

People do it everyday and it becomes the norm but it's still not a Fender neck. Whatever makes you feel good.....

Why did you ask the question?

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It's your bass. Put whatever you want on it... BUT... do not fake a Serial Number. No serial number = no real bass in my book. I've even gone as far as to bury a disclaimer under the poly on the neck heel of a bass that I put a Fender logo on that wasn't a real fender. Still won't stop someone from miss-representing it if they choose to in the future, but at least I've gone out of my way to accurately represent the change to the instrument.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Do it! It's your bass, don't fear the naysayers!

Fender has some really cool decal designs...different logotype, spacing, etc...

You could go 70's style with the big TV letters, or retro 60's depending on if you have a P or Jazz...just don't do a crappy job and put it on crooked or something...People like me will notice that stuff :smug:

Also, as you've heard already, don't try to sell it off as a Fender - that'd be uncool - unless you're asking a really low price

post pics when you're done!

5. EXACTLY. When i played it, everyone was so concerned with the fact that it wasn't a real fender, the rad tone i got from it took a backseat.

I would rather have a blank headstock. It would be way more manageable to have conversations with people wanting to know what it IS rather than them telling you what it is NOT.

6. imkelvis

imkelvis

Jul 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Basses, Traynor Amplifiers
    I've done it twice. And I freely tell anyone who's interest what parts, if any, are Fender, Warmoth, Seymour Duncan or whatever. I do it because I like the way it looks, because people (unfortunately) listen with their eyes and I don't sweat it because Fender has put a lot worse than Warmoth parts under their logo for years. I would never sell something like this without full disclosure, but that's as far as my ethical dilema goes.

7. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I personally think its wrong - but i guess its a tribute to the long lasting design of a Fender . i would have a decal made- something unique

8. Provided it's not at time of sale and some por kid (who doesn't know the difference) gets really excited about his first bass just for his teacher or friend to tell him he just got ripped off...

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    why are you assuming im doing it to rip someone off?? i already said it wouldnt be sold on nor serial numbered??

aesthetics and making a Few bucks are worlds apart to me, unlike others i grant you...

too late i got my scalpel and cut out the Decal for it :bassist::D

copyright my bollox

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    But the neck is a licensed Fender copy. It was made to their specs, and they were paid for it. As long as he doesn't fake a serial number, I don't see it being a problem. Especially since the body is genuine.

11. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    People really should lighten up about this issue... It is time consuming -to say the least- to read all the same tired comments over and over again. There are some products sold here in US; which are OK to buy, but illegal to use. You need to permit for those, like enamel based chemicals. Applying the same logic, it is OK until you are selling it. Otherwise, there is no faul play here folks; please move on already.

What difference does it make if it says Fender or anything else? I would personally put a decal on there, just because of the esthetic reasons. It is same as putting a tort pickguard or getting a sunburst bass. It's a preference for crying out loud, don't be this uptight about it.

For those who would say: "But, what if the next person you sold it to wouldn't have good intentions while she/he is selling it". If we should consider this type of situations, no one could sell beer. "What if someone drinks it irresponsibly and cause problems?". Or no guns.. "What if the dude uses it to shot someone, not to hunt a deer?". The point is, everyone is responsible for her/his own actions.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Warmoth = Upgrade

The kid should be thanking him.

RBrownBass likes this.
  13. I wasn't. Hence the quote from FunkMetalBass in my response and not one of yours...

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    This is twice now you've said this. So you certainly won't mind if someone re-records a song your band writes, gives themselves the writing credits and sells it as their own? Same principle.

15. TUT2222

TUT2222

Sep 16, 2008
    Englewood, FL
    I have a Marcus that I am redoing. I haven't decided on which neck to put on it(if I change the original), but they are all Fender licensed, without decals. I have no problem putting a Fender decal on it, and I realize there will be no other decals on the headstock(where made, ser#, whatever). It's mine, and will be for a while, and I like the Fender logo.

16. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    we're still reffering to my bass. era end of topic its getting its spray tomo :cool:

17. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I'm curious. If we reversed this situation and he was putting a Fender neck on a Warmoth body, should he have to sand the Fender decal off?

18. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    nope your wrong there buddy...

as im not selling it on actually gonna be passed on
    .. it is a fender like..
    its 80% of it still there...

so

copyright my bollox

19. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    That's the exact opposite of what is happening.

20. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I am not the one who wrote the copyright laws...I am just passing on the info...

The OP obviously thinks the copyright laws are a joke.."copyright my bollox"

If you own a company and somebody infringes on your product or image it might make a difference someday.

The neck is "licensed" it is not manufactured by Fender.

There are tons of "wannabe" Fender basses in the world.....

I own a Warmoth bass the headstock is blank..works for me...doesn't for others.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021