Is it wrong to put fender decals on a warmoth neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1

After all, someone makes basses in Mexico that say Fender on them...

:bag:

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    :D
    061604%20146.jpg

3. My opinion?
    Well, I'm a real type of person. I'd rather be looked at as a moron, butthole, talentless, etc., than to be perceived as a superficial FAKE! I once received a nice Rolex knockoff as a gift. Every time I looked at that watch I got a knot in my stomach and felt like a pretentious idiot. Wore it three days then went back to my Bulova.

A year or so ago I was planning a custom, DIY modification of my '95 MIM Jazz. I contacted one of the decal makers on the web and he made a mock up of my screename/nickname (LBWDOG) in vintage Fender type script. Beneath that, in small letters, it read "Customized By Eric Watkins". That was where the patent numbers would appear on a vitage Fender. I must say it looked great, classy and original. Most of all, I wouldn't have to justify a sham Fender decal to anyone else (not that I would anyway)!!!

Do what you want......

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I'm in the camp that says don't do it.

5. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    It used to be a fender.

It's still MOSTLY a fender.

Do it.

I wouldn't though... I dig the blank headstock.

6. SUNNydayr.

SUNNydayr.

Jul 1, 2008
    San Franish
    Your bass. If it is what you want to do to it then do it. Just don't sell it as the real deal later on. Maybe try and color match paint from the body and do the headstock the same if you don't like the nude look.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    its cheesey to put a fender logo on what isint technecally a fender neck. i dont think its some kind of moral issue though.. unless of course you try and sell it as a fender.. but.. isint the value just as high for a warmoth neck/fender body? who would bother trying to pass it off as a fender?

8. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    It would be a copyright infrindgment to put anything but a Fender Decal on any headstock bearing the Fender copyrighted Ball and flag. If you put any other decal on a guitar neck with the Ball and flag headstock it better be a Fender or licenced by Fender neck. Or change the headstock shape.

Love, .......Fugigen, Motsumuko, Hagstrom, Charvell,Tom Anderson......

9. casanova2416

casanova2416

Mar 25, 2008
    didn't somebody make a logo that was like "FrankenFender" in the fender script a while back? Seems like the solution for you...

10. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    What about taking a Fender bass with a Fender neck and sanding the original decal off, and replacing it with a customized one...
    Headstock2.gif

...then passing it off as a new model offered by Fender? :bag:

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How about this: It's a sin.

12. FWIW, I actually grew to love my blank headstock mighty mite neck.

13. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I "get" having the look. I also "get" the ethical complication if you sell the bass later on. The best answer I've seen is the one saying to get a custom decal that looks from a few feet away kind of like the word "Fender" but actually says something different. That way you get enough of the look for onstage, with no ethical complications.

14. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    That does fall into the category of "IMO", but really... if you're going to take the high road this far to try to prevent what people ought to be doing their own research to avoid, I doubt you'll have much support. Dude said he wouldn't sell it. Props for the full courage of your convictions.

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Lol.. didnt realise this would cause such a war :p

went with a custom logo instead

Fecker :smug: (irish will understand) in the guise of Fender style, be a poser comment was a bit rich, id say something but id be in for yet another infraction..

its actually a gift for someone so it adds a bit of comic value with copyright bollox :bassist:

16. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    Well, it is a wenge neck anyway. Fender doesn't do that (unless in the Custom Shop maybe). I think Warmoth has a good reputation, I wouldn't mind having a Warmoth logo on the headstock

17. evhest

evhest

Jun 10, 2006
    It's your headstock, do whatever you want! I did!:D
    jb.gif

18. Joe164

Joe164

Aug 26, 2008
    Leicester, UK
    It's cool to put on the decal for you, but to say its fender when it's warmoth, thats like filling a coke bottle with diet and passing it off as coke :rollno:

19. Steady Eddie

Steady Eddie

Jul 27, 2009
    I knew a guy who played a Fender U.S.A. guitar for years and loved it. Until he discovered it was a fake. Then, he couldn't bear the site of the thing and went out and bought a genuine Fender to replace it. I played both of them. The feel and the sound were slightly different, but I couldn't say which one was better.

Personally, I'm in favour of fakes because it shows the genuine manufacturers up for what they really are. If these manufacturers took care to produce a quality product that was worth the money it would cost too much to fake. Instead companies like Fender make the instruments at the absolute lowest cost and charge for the name, not the quality. This to me is just as criminal as faking an instrument.

20. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I thought of that decal when I read your OP, it finishes the headstock, stops the nay sayers and gets a laugh too. Nice work.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021