Is it wrong to put fender decals on a warmoth neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Like the Takamine logo, for instance? :D

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    This is a warning sign for all those in the used Fender market. It's sad realy.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Whatever man. If there is not a Fender serial and the seller is honest, then this is no issue..... Not having a serial # is a dead giveaway. This thread is about somebody who has a REAL Fender body and a Fender licensed neck who wants to put a logo on there for his own joy.

This is NOT about people who make counterfeit Fenders and sell them as Fenders. Get the theme of the thread straight guys!

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV

Now that's realy cool ;)

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ffs listen to yourself will ya, anyone that buys any reasonable fender, (i included) is well able to re-search before spending hard earned cash. :spit:

6. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm with you. Put the Fender decal on. Stick it to the man! And to all the little narcs.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Buyer beware.

If you don't take the necessary steps to ensure you're protected, you probably deserve to get hosed in a deal.

It sucks, it's cruel, but it's life. We don't live in a Utopian society where people are always kind and 100% honest about everything.

I'm not condoning fraud sales and things of that nature, but as a buyer, it's 100% your responsibility.

8. Dominic D

Dominic D Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Good advice, but completely unrelated to this thread.

9. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    This. If you ever sell it please be completely honest with what you have. Other than that, do whatever you want with it.

I don't like the blank headstock look either, but maybe you could come up with a design you like?

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It was in response to the couple of posts above mine as well as the numerous posts regarding the selling of fake Fenders. I guess I should have tied it in better.

11. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    63713938qaEEdjG9popcorn.gif

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Just curious, has anyone ever seen an instrument for sale where the seller said the decal was a fake?

13. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    +1

You can get decal making materials on line. Put your own name on it. You can even do your own serial #.

Researched it when I was contemplating doing a warmoth.

14. bubble gum, or put some hair on it

15. No, but I have seen lots of bass necks with Fender decals where the sellers said that the necks WERE NOT Fenders.

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ok, same thing, I suppose.

But the decal in that case just says "Fender" it's not actually a Fender decal.

17. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The guy has a Warmoth neck. I see it as taking a Miller or Budweiser bottle, filling it with a fine small-market beer and passing it off as Miller or Bud. No disrespect is intended in the analogy- Fender is a huge manufacturer and assembler of bass parts, and Warmoth is, at least in theory, a manufacturer of higher-grade replacement parts for Fenders.

Huh. Never thought about that way, but it makes complete sense. That said, I doubt that many people are going to take this approach to their custom decals.

So what approach would you take if altering the headstock is not an option- decal it as a Fender because they own the license to the shape or leave it blank?

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    what a tasteless idea :rollno:...:D

19. Absolutely ...... Ive seen craploads of Warmoth basses and guitars, body and neck, WITH a Fender logo and no serial....advertised as BUILT FROM WARMOTH PARTS> and priced accordingly. Warmoth, even though their quality is easily as good if not better than Fender, do not hold resale value in the same way. Its fairly easy to tell a Warmoth bass with a logo from a factory fender.... IMHO ... ITs a Fender body, with a Licensed Fender neck, copyrighted headstock and all, slap a Fender logo on there if you want to. Also ... you guys ever heard of ghost builders?

20. "Licensed Fender neck" is not the same thing as "Made By Fender". Period. Getting one of the "lookalikes" posted in the thread, be creative and come up with your own unique logo.

...or just buy an authentic Fender if it matters that much. :rollno:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021